Ex Player Jamie Hanson

androidyellow2

Thought he deserved his own thread,

Been a bit of a scapegoat by many of us on here for good reason as he came in last season as “the final piece of the puzzle” for what is being said as a hefty fee, and he did ok but prone to bad lapses not helped by him being used out of position, which he never moaned about either. But if you strip it back and watch him play, ive always been impressed by the lad. Last few games of last season he was probably one of our best players, and I genuinely think he could be our new Lundstram. Got a meaty tackle, good engine and a lovely pass. And i think with him in midfield vs Blackpool we looked very good, and you could feel him missing vs Burton. I think he could end up being a key player this season if he cuts out the odd mistake and gets his confidence up, id start him over Gorrin on sat

I also think it’s unfair to ‘scapegoat’ him simply because he cost a lot. He’s made a few errors in his passing but that’s because, in my opinion, he’s been trying too hard. Many other aspects of his play are spot-on. I too would play him at Rovers in place of Gorrin.

I agree with lots of your assessment - strong in the tackle, strikes his passes cleanly and can go box-to-box. His struggles really have been with his footballing intelligence - defensive positioning, knowing when to move the ball on quickly and when he has time to pick a more complex pass. As such, when he’s played CDM, there have been a fair few heart in mouth moments - including a couple at Rovers last weekend - but he has impressed me when playing in more of a box-to-box role. 4-3-3 seems to suit him better than 4-2-3-1. He’s a useful option to play alongside Brannagan in front of Gorrin, although we probably all hope Baptiste will make that spot his own again.

The good: He’s tough tackling and hard working, and has the ability to play a brilliant pass or cross

The bad: He can give the ball away in very dangerous areas leading to a counter attack, and he seems to lack pace/mobility which means it’s not like he’s everywhere, snapping into tackles all over the park etc.

I personally think he’s fine as a backup player, but it’s not like he’s someone you can see a Championship side buying off us, and I wouldn’t have him in the side when all of our midfielders are fit.

I agree with lots of your assessment - strong in the tackle, strikes his passes cleanly and can go box-to-box. His struggles really have been with his footballing intelligence - defensive positioning, knowing when to move the ball on quickly and when he has time to pick a more complex pass. As such, when he’s played CDM, there have been a fair few heart in mouth moments - including a couple at Rovers last weekend - but he has impressed me when playing in more of a box-to-box role. 4-3-3 seems to suit him better than 4-2-3-1. He’s a useful option to play alongside Brannagan in front of Gorrin, although we probably all hope Baptiste will make that spot his own again.

I agree, this is his main issue.

Did fairly well when he came on today. I wonder if we'll see him back at right back should Long be needed to cover centre back again.

As he is here whatever, then having him in the 18 as a backup for midfield, RB and perhaps CB is not a bad thing

It’s a chance to start over for Hanson. Last season was almost a full write off for him and 2018-19 was for the most part a struggle for all concerned (we started that season with Sam Smith up front, lest we forget), so it’s a clean slate for him to establish what we he can do in a much different team.

Let’s not get too bogged down in the price tag or the wages he supposedly earns and give him a chance again. He must have something about him for us to brought him here. Personally I’d like to see him get rid of the utility man tag and make a position his own. I think he’s a bit too similar to what we have to make RB his position and I think others will be better at CB but as a DM or CM he could flourish.

It’s a chance to start over for Hanson. Last season was almost a full write off for him and 2018-19 was for the most part a struggle for all concerned (we started that season with Sam Smith up front, lest we forget), so it’s a clean slate for him to establish what we he can do in a much different team.

Let’s not get too bogged down in the price tag or the wages he supposedly earns and give him a chance again. He must have something about him for us to brought him here. Personally I’d like to see him get rid of the utility man tag and make a position his own. I think he’s a bit too similar to what we have to make RB his position and I think others will be better at CB but as a DM or CM he could flourish.
The problem there is that Gorrin is a better DM than him (although we will need cover for the inevitable Gorrin suspensions!) and once Cam is back I know who will take that CM/AM space. So he will be a utility player covering for either of those when needed.

Agree. But if he's a good player there are those on here that say he should be able to play anywhere and do a good job. Not stick to his 'natural' position!! But as it stands there are better players to play in that position. He has to force KR to play him there.

Exactly! Not sure why I put it in the Gavin Whyte section, but I expressed a similar view.

I have to say I was impressed with Hanson and his return to fitness has probably created a good problem for KR as I can see Hanson and Gorrin playing together as the 2 in our usual 4,2,3,1 formation

Back
Top Bottom