EPL Greed or necessity and what are "we" doing?

Essexyellows

Spurs and Newcastle have either cut the salaries of non-playing staff or furloughed them. Every penny counts and they must be up against it eh?

Rugby PL have just cut all players salaries by 25%.

See the difference?

Wonder if OUFC are doing the same or are the board funding the staff through it ?

Thought it worthy of a thread.....

Thought I read Barcelona had cut player wages by 80% as well, Juventus done similar.

Newcastle have also taken direct debits for 2020-21 season tickets - "
Following our call for the suspension and delay of all future Season Ticket payments Newcastle United contacted us earlier today. The club stated it has no intention of freezing or delaying payments, both for those that pay annually and monthly.

Today, Tuesday 25 March 2020, Newcastle United took payments for the 2020/21 season from those supporters who opt to pay for their season ticket annually.

Monthly payments will also continue as normal."

You cunt, Mike Ashley.

Newcastle have also taken direct debits for 2020-21 season tickets - "
Following our call for the suspension and delay of all future Season Ticket payments Newcastle United contacted us earlier today. The club stated it has no intention of freezing or delaying payments, both for those that pay annually and monthly.

Today, Tuesday 25 March 2020, Newcastle United took payments for the 2020/21 season from those supporters who opt to pay for their season ticket annually.

Monthly payments will also continue as normal."

You c**t, Mike Ashley.

Just when you think he can`t get any lower...........

550 non-playing staff at Spurs made to take a 20% pay cut. Players asked to consider taking a pay cut. Chairman David Levy paid £7m by the club last year. Even if each of those 550 staff were on £50k pa the total wage cut would still be around £1.5m less than Levy was paid last season.

550 non-playing staff at Spurs made to take a 20% pay cut. Players asked to consider taking a pay cut. Chairman David Levy paid £7m by the club last year. Even if each of those 550 staff were on £50k pa the total wage cut would still be around £1.5m less than Levy was paid last season.

Any indications the players are going to take a pay cut?

Yup makes me utterly sick..

But hey, the players are “considering it” .. wow that is decent of them.

Frontline NHS staff and any other essential worker at this time are putting themselves at incredible risk and earn in a year what some of these earn over a sodding weekend.

Sort it out you bunch greedy fuckwits ... it is really not a difficult decision is it.

Last edited:
No but the agents would argue the players are the industry and without the there is no game. Its just about setting precedents, rather than doing whats right, and maybe poutting the onus on wealthy owners to pick up the short term tab rather than docking say 20% from players wages. Could cause severe hardship and emotional disruption if he has a WAG with a £10k a week handbag and charlie habit

Juventus' players (and Sarri) didn't just agree to a pay cut - they agreed to not get paid for four months, with only the promise that the situation will be looked at by the club 'in good faith' once the COVID crisis is over.

I won't hold my breath expecting the Premiership clubs to do the same.......

I don’t understand why all other clubs aren’t doing this. Your staff get 80% of their salary whist off work, paid for by the government.
Football aside, no company should be laying staff off with this scheme in place.

Frontline NHS staff and any other essential worker at this time are putting themselves at incredible risk and earn in a year what some of these earn over a sodding weekend.

Sort it out you bunch greedy retards... it is really not a difficult decision is it.

I agree with you, but "retards"?.........

I agree with you, but "retards"?.........

Retard, defined as being stupid or mentally slow.....

They have failed to gauge the magnitude of the situation when others are putting their own lives on the line or losing their jobs.

We have volunteers, essential workers and people in general who are showing selfless acts of kindness.

They, on the other hand, continue to take full salary whilst fellow ‘non playing’ colleagues are put on furlough at a reduced salary, which by the way is being paid for out of taxpayers money that could otherwise be used to fight the cause.

They seem to have failed to understand any of this while they ‘consider’ taking a pay cut from the hundreds of thousands of pounds they earn a month, whilst they isolate at home.

I am sorry if my remark offended you but I think retard is a fair description in this instance.

And my blood is still boiling whilst they procrastinate.

Last edited:

They have failed to gauge the magnitude of the situation when others are putting their own lives on the line or losing their jobs.

We have volunteers, essential workers and people in general who are showing selfless acts of kindness.

They, on the other hand, continue to take full salary whilst fellow ‘non playing’ colleagues are put on furlough at a reduced salary, which by the way is being paid for out of taxpayers money that could otherwise be used to fight the cause.

They seem to have failed to understand any of this while they ‘consider’ taking a pay cut from the hundreds of thousands of pounds they earn a month, whilst they isolate at home.

I am sorry if my remark offended you but I think retard is a fair description in this instance.

Again, I don't disagree with any of that. Can we just substitute "retards" for something else? Fuckwits maybe? Bell-ends?

Sort it out you bunch greedy fuckwits ... it is really not a difficult decision is it.
Tricky one, some footballers are high profile and high earners, unfortunately football today is built around all this glitz at the top level.
Soon the governing powers are going to try and get players to play behind closed doors so clubs and fans get a seasons closure, there will be a risk to that in the clamour to save the millions of pounds football is losing, this is an industry problem at the top not the players fault (agents aside), now if the government put a cap level on all high earners throughout all businesses then that might be a more even playing field for footballers and sports people to join in with.

But isn't this always been the case of contract vs salaried employees? Most of us can sign a contract but move to another job easily. But football players and their contracts are different. Hence we get a transfer fee for them because we "own" them?

Tricky one, some footballers are high profile and high earners, unfortunately football today is built around all this glitz at the top level.
Soon the governing powers are going to try and get players to play behind closed doors so clubs and fans get a seasons closure, there will be a risk to that in the clamour to save the millions of pounds football is losing, this is an industry problem at the top not the players fault (agents aside), now if the government put a cap level on all high earners throughout all businesses then that might be a more even playing field for footballers and sports people to join in with.

Haha, yeah I may have calmed down since then, after all the initial reports.

You are absolutely right, this is not just about footballers, and I also agree that the wage spectrum is also vast in football.

Also, as this unfolded the players were probably waiting on advice from sources above (the agents are still parasites though) and needed quick guidance, which wasn’t forthcoming.

However, I do still think it would have been a very easy and quick decision to have just stepped up and offered to take the 20% pay reduction in support of their fellow non playing staff that were put on furlough.

That gesture would have gone a long way in support of fellow staff and struggling fans who spend their hard earned on tickets, merchandise, sky subscriptions etc, that allow them to live these lavish lifestyles.

I think the FA have poorly managed this situation .

Back
Top Bottom