Gordon Banks

Belgium Yellow

Died today, RIP.
Leaves a proper legacy.
My mum supported Stoke before I corrected her, so she was always going on about him.

Very sad
Brilliant goalkeeper and one of the games real gentlemen.
That save from Pele will be remembered forever.
Rest in peace Gordon

Went to Filbert Street in Jan 61 3rd Round FA Cup. We were Southern League , they were First Division. Gave them a good game but lost 3-1. Remember Tony Jones hammering the ball past Banks on 80 minutes. Talking to Leicester fans during the match (you could in those days!) they remarked that if we played like that every week then we would be in the Football League the following season...…...how right they were.

Went to Filbert Street in Jan 61 3rd Round FA Cup. We were Southern League , they were First Division. Gave them a good game but lost 3-1. Remember Tony Jones hammering the ball past Banks on 80 minutes. Talking to Leicester fans during the match (you could in those days!) they remarked that if we played like that every week then we would be in the Football League the following season...…...how right they were.
God 1961 I went to that as well, remember the mixing with the Leicester fans on same terrace. Better days really.

Met him in Germany in 1980 when I was a ten year old. It was about the most exciting moment of my life til then! Still got the signed photo.

Legend is an often over used word in football these days, but Gordon Banks WAS a true England legend.

Unbelievable save from Pele in 1970 World Cup.

RIP

Back
Top Bottom