General Good things out of Covid-19

#breadmachine #panasonic (always buy Japanese bread machines - they are the best)
They are. And what's more bread makers are one of those things that people bought (or were given), used once and then put away until they flog them at car boot sales for a couple of quid. Over the years we have worn a couple out and normally have a spare in the loft that we have found that way...

Thought I'd have a go at baking bread again. Turns out that Soda bread is the easiest thing to make. Just mix the ingredients, roll into a ball and stick in the oven. No hanging around waiting for the dough to prove or raise, no kneading required. And, when it's done, wow! great flavour. (you can add all sorts of stuff to it to enhance)

So no fun at all then!

I think you can explain 60 years of pre70s cuisine on the premise that cooking isn’t enjoyable.

I guess that depends on whether you think making bread is some sort of artisan hobby or a way of getting a lovely fresh loaf without any of the additives!

"Artisan hobby" is a pejorative term now? Hobby! How rude. I put it to you, Mr Hero, that a loaf made from a sourdough starter over 16 hours will always taste better than a loaf produced some other way (given the same flour, water & heat).

Additives? Do you use dried yeast? Organic flour? Is it stoneground? These are the questions surely on the additive front.

Anything is a step up from a shop bought steam cooked loaf. I just want something that tastes nice - I haven't got hours to be faffing about.

Yeast out of a packet, supermarket strong flour (usually a 50/50 mixture of white and wholemeal), oil instead of the recommended butter, some powdered milk, sugar, salt and water - lob the lot in the breadmaker and turn it on. Wait for it to cook, take it out, eat it. Perfect.

That gives me plenty of time for my other hobby, hand-whittling computer motherboards from ecologically produced padouk.

Additives? Do you use dried yeast? Organic flour? Is it stoneground? These are the questions surely on the additive front.
Great thing with soda bread, no yeast. T spoon of bicarb and that does the trick. Adding some black treacle today, see what does for the consistency and taste.
If I could just get a pint or so of the real stuff out of the Liffey then we might have the starting of some proper Irish bread.

Great thing with soda bread, no yeast. T spoon of bicarb and that does the trick. Adding some black treacle today, see what does for the consistency and taste.
If I could just get a pint or so of the real stuff out of the Liffey then we might have the starting of some proper Irish bread.

I did this bread with honey instead as that is all I had and it is lovely.

I did this bread with honey instead as that is all I had and it is lovely.
Been making a mackerel pate very similar to that one for years, used to put it into a pitta bread with sliced lettuce and cucumber for a snack while out walking.
Might have to try that with some soda bread instead! :)
I'm using honey and black treacle in the latest batch - smells pretty good so far!

Bread maker? Paff..... use a slow cooker.....
Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups of warm milk
2 Tbsp melted UNSALTED butter
1-3 tablespoons of sugar (add more if you like sweeter bread)
3 tablespoons of active dry yeast (conservative side)
6 cups of whole wheat flour (or 3 cups whole wheat & 3 cups all-purpose flour)
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder

Method:
Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of yeast. Wait for 5 minutes – it should be frothy on the top. While your waiting warm 2 cups of milk and 2 Tbsp of butter in microwave.

Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Mix and knead the dough. (I used the dough hook once I had incorporated most of the flour for about 5 minutes then kneaded by hand for another 5-7 minutes.)

Line your slow cooker with cooking (baking) paper and place in your round ball of dough. It will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on High power for 2- 2.5 hours. Start checking at every 7-10 minutes until top is sponge-y but springs back and no moisture on the top. The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as sides. Pop the loaf in the oven on grill for about 3- 5 minutes to get a nice crusty top.

You`ll thank me for it.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups of warm milk
2 teaspoons of salt

Method:
Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of yeast. Wait for 5 minutes – it should be frothy on the top. While your waiting warm 2 cups of milk and 2 Tbsp of butter in microwave.

Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Mix and knead the dough. (I used the dough hook once I had incorporated most of the flour for about 5 minutes then kneaded by hand for another 5-7 minutes.)

Line your slow cooker with cooking (baking) paper and place in your round ball of dough. It will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on High power for 2- 2.5 hours. Start checking at every 7-10 minutes until top is sponge-y but springs back and no moisture on the top. The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as sides. Pop the loaf in the oven on grill for about 3- 5 minutes to get a nice crusty top.

You`ll thank me for it.
Bloody Septics and their "cup" measuring system. What's wrong with giving a proper weight? ?

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups of warm milk
2 teaspoons of salt

Method:

You`ll thank me for it.

Easier to do by hand and prove the dough naturally then bake based on that. Did that yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom