General Good things out of Covid-19

Have you tried to buy any bloody bread flour?

I am considering using rocking horse poo as a more obtainable alternative!

Have you tried to buy any bloody bread flour?

I am considering using rocking horse poo as a more obtainable alternative!
We struck gold at our local bakery. Flour is not the problem, the companies making and bagging the flour are, apparently, not working. Our local bakery had sacks of flour (no surprise - they bake daily) and were more than happy to sell some to us. I now have a kilo of whole wheatmeal flour to play with. Soda bread is first on my list.

The shortage is due to retail sales only account to a small proportion of sales , with trade bags 16 or 25kg being the norm , it’s the packaging of the retail bags is the issue as the trade packing equipment can’t be converted to smaller bags which results in shortages, Savona in oxford have flour for sale to the general public

I received mine on Thursday ,a nice gesture, I didn’t realise there were 2 together when I opened the envelope. I have to be honest that if comes to having to wear a mask I would want something a bit more substantial than the club mask

Yeah I got mine too. As has been said a nice gesture.

However Mrs ZtH is a (professional) pattern cutter and seamstress and has been making some better fitting masks that have a pocket into which you can slip a bit of the material used in hoover filters as extra proection, so I expect those will be first choice when the inevitable decision is made to ease lock down but mask wearing becomes the thing to do when out in public.

Mind you they are bloody difficult to breathe through! :) :)

The shortage is due to retail sales only account to a small proportion of sales , with trade bags 16 or 25kg being the norm , it’s the packaging of the retail bags is the issue as the trade packing equipment can’t be converted to smaller bags which results in shortages, Savona in oxford have flour for sale to the general public
Quite right. Our local Morrisons is decanting flour from the bulk deliveries to its in-store bakery as it can't get enough trade packaged supplies.

Quite right. Our local Morrisons is decanting flour from the bulk deliveries to its in-store bakery as it can't get enough trade packaged supplies.
Can one 'decant' a solid? Isn't the act of decanting the moving of a liquid from one container to another?

However to be more pedantic one could argue that as you have to pour flour which flows it similar to a liquid which could be decanted , with 25 kg bags you have to have a slow flow when filling storage bins otherwise you would working in a cloud of flour

I do take both of your points, you can of course pour things like flour and rice. The difference being that you aren't pouring part of one item, as a liquid is, but a collection of discrete small solid items. If you can decant rice, surely you can then decant bricks off a dumper truck, same principle but different scale, but I think we'd all agree that would be the incorrect term.

I do take both of your points, you can of course pour things like flour and rice. The difference being that you aren't pouring part of one item, as a liquid is, but a collection of discrete small solid items. If you can decant rice, surely you can then decant bricks off a dumper truck, same principle but different scale, but I think we'd all agree that would be the incorrect term.
But taking scale in the opposite direction, liquids are made of individual discrete molecules - one ends up being decanted and another doesn’t. Are they really so different from powders?

lol - halfway down this page https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.collinsdictionary.com/amp/english/decant one of the examples of use is decanting bricks :) (mind you one of the others is decanting kittens!)

Back
Top Bottom