Ex Player Good story on Billy Whitehurst

boogaloo

When Vinnie Jones says 'you're the hardest footballer ever'. Sounded like a proper nutter (which I would not dare say to his face LOL).

Pure thug footballer but some of the comments with Paul Lake's making me chuckle the most.

Seemingly out of nowhere, the Whitehurst story crops up every now and then. There’s a certain amount of myth making here - maybe he was harder than Shotts and Briggs, but nowhere as near as good a footballer.

Most of his career goals were scored for Hull in the bottom division between 80-85 and he never repeated that form again. What was it for us - 4 in 40 and I’m not sure he didn’t end up playing a few games at centre back!

Still, makes a good read and in the age of the faceless, tattooed journeyman, he was at least a proper character.

Seemingly out of nowhere, the Whitehurst story crops up every now and then. There’s a certain amount of myth making here - maybe he was harder than Shotts and Briggs, but nowhere as near as good a footballer.

Most of his career goals were scored for Hull in the bottom division between 80-85 and he never repeated that form again. What was it for us - 4 in 40 and I’m not sure he didn’t end up playing a few games at centre back!

Still, makes a good read and in the age of the faceless, tattooed journeyman, he was at least a proper character.

Agreed.

However for the 20 odd minutes before his back injury at Anfield, he was tearing their defence apart.

Was he harder than Briggs? I could swear I remember a story that he came off second best to him in a training ground scrap.

Wasn’t there some story about him pinning Maurice Evans up against the dressing room wall after Evans suggested his first half performance wasn’t up to standard and he was going to sub him? He ended up playing the full 90 mins I think.. ?

Was he harder than Briggs? I could swear I remember a story that he came off second best to him in a training ground scrap.
I heard similar too ... unsubstantiated..... but I'd reckon Briggsy would've taken him, and easily too

The changes in the tackling laws to stop leg breakers is a good thing.

Oh....

I stand to be corrected but I would suggest there were fewer career ending injuries then than there are now.
Generally the receiving player almost knew what was coming and went up in the air evasively or from the impact.
In fact I found this that proves it....to a point... https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:23280/FULLTEXT01.pdf
1981 - 20.6% injuries in match play, 2005 - 28.1% ....

I stand to be corrected but I would suggest there were fewer career ending injuries then than there are now.
Generally the receiving player almost knew what was coming and went up in the air evasively or from the impact.
In fact I found this that proves it....to a point... https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:23280/FULLTEXT01.pdf
1981 - 20.6% injuries in match play, 2005 - 28.1% ....

I would still rather watch skilful players allowed to actually shine rather than just getting kicked in the air.

Back
Top Bottom