Good luck England!

He worked very hard, from what I could see, but didn't hurt the opposition, but he can and that is why he is there. He can also play against top opposition so hopefully that will come in useful.
Well I hope they start with Rashford against Panama

Sterling is struggling to translate his club performances to international level. Rashford is not getting on the teamsheet under Mourinho, but is consistently dangerous for England.

Despite all the natural pace within the squad I really think the team plays with not enough pace and we always seem to play down the same channels!

Despite all the natural pace within the squad I really think the team plays with not enough pace and we always seem to play down the same channels!

Agreed. After they scored we were in danger of slipping into “same old England” mode. Luckily as stated above Rashford and Loftus-Cheek bought the energy back.

For me the biggest miss was not having a natural left footer at left wing back. Id play Rose over Young. I know that is probably harsh on Young but he is very 1 dimensional. Id also play Rashford in place of Stirling for the panama game to give him game time as well. If Ali isn't fit then no hesitation play Loftus-Cheek.
All in all it was a frustrating start but also a promising 1.

He doesn’t do it for England he looked more of a passenger last night

My reference was also in relation to the comment about how had he forged a career at the top level. He deserved his selection in the England squad but whether he deserves to start ahead of others is a valid question.

I think he will start against Panama with Loftus-Cheek replacing Alli who will be rested as a precaution. I would like Rose to start ahead of Young but I suspect that won't change.

So diabolical that last season playing for Man City his stats were:

PL: 29(4) apps; 18 goals; 11 Assists
CL: 5(3) apps; 4 goals; 1 Assist

Shocking record that, with loads better than that in the PL.

What a fool Gareth Southgate is for picking him as well as Pep Guardiola. :rolleyes::cautious:

In an England shirt he is woeful. Always has been (39 apps = 2 goals) ?

Last edited:
My reference was also in relation to the comment about how had he forged a career at the top level. He deserved his selection in the England squad but whether he deserves to start ahead of others is a valid question.

I think he will start against Panama with Loftus-Cheek replacing Alli who will be rested as a precaution. I would like Rose to start ahead of Young but I suspect that won't change.
Sorry Sterling did nothing yesterday to warrant a start against Panama.

And he scored those 22 goals in a team that scored in excess of 125 goals last season.... ?

So he scored/set up a good chunk of them then and was an important part of the squad that won the League then.

So he scored/set up a good chunk of them then and was an important part of the squad that won the League then.
But even the pundits were saying what he does for his club he certainly doesn’t do it for England, just because of his stats at Manchester City he has a right to play for England when he isn’t doing it for England

The World Cup is a sprint not a marathon.

Yes, you want to play your best team - but sometimes for these sorts of tournaments, that means picking the players who are in form, not necessarily those that have the most innate talent.

Everyone who's seen Man City play in the last year knows that Stirling has talent. But he's not in form right now, and Rashford looks like he might be - so you gotta go with the hot hand.

Thankfully Harry Kane seems to have the talent and the form. If our defense continues to play well, that gives us a puncher's chance to go someplace in this tournament.

The World Cup is a sprint not a marathon.

Yes, you want to play your best team - but sometimes for these sorts of tournaments, that means picking the players who are in form, not necessarily those that have the most innate talent.

Everyone who's seen Man City play in the last year knows that Stirling has talent. But he's not in form right now, and Rashford looks like he might be - so you gotta go with the hot hand.

Thankfully Harry Kane seems to have the talent and the form. If our defense continues to play well, that gives us a puncher's chance to go someplace in this tournament.
Who do you want coming off the bench to change the game if needed?

Or into the starting 11 as a curve-ball for teams who have been planning how to play you.

I don't see much harm in starting Stirling. He's only going to get form by playing and his pace is useful.

But even the pundits were saying what he does for his club he certainly doesn’t do it for England, just because of his stats at Manchester City he has a right to play for England when he isn’t doing it for England

That post was in direct response to a comment trying to play down his performance/impact for Man City.

I refer to my earlier response about his involvement with England. He is rightly in the squad based on this season's club performances but whether he starts is open for discussion. Also, said in the previous post, I think Southgate will stick with him for the Panama game.

Who do you want coming off the bench to change the game if needed?

Or into the starting 11 as a curve-ball for teams who have been planning how to play you.

I don't see much harm in starting Stirling. He's only going to get form by playing and his pace is useful.

??

If I've got two similar players....one of whom is going to play 65 minutes, and the other 25....then I want the guy who's playing better to be starting and getting the most minutes.

I certainly don't want to be holding our best players back for the last twenty minutes to see if we need to change the game! I'd rather be two goals up and bringing on Eric Dier to kill it!

The World Cup is too short to be trying to play players into form. That's for a league campaign. The World Cup is about playing your XI most likely to get the win today. And at the moment for England, I suspect that means Rashford not Stirling. However good a player Stirling can be, he hasn't been that player in an England shirt and he certainly wasn't that player last night.

That post was in direct response to a comment trying to play down his performance/impact for Man City.

I refer to my earlier response about his involvement with England. He is rightly in the squad based on this season's club performances but whether he starts is open for discussion. Also, said in the previous post, I think Southgate will stick with him for the Panama game.
But sorry I don’t think he is performing for England like he does for Man City and sentiment camt
Come into it, you play those where are on form and as tonyw says Rashford appears to be more
On form than Sterling is.

But sorry I don’t think he is performing for England like he does for Man City and sentiment camt
Come into it, you play those where are on form and as tonyw says Rashford appears to be more
On form than Sterling is.

He deserves his place in the squad based on his performances in the season just gone, just like Joe Hart didn't. What free scoring forward have we left behind to fit him in?

And if you are talking about the starting 11, I've already said twice his starting place is up for discussion.

I will also repeat I believe GARETH SOUTHGATE will persevere with him for the Panama. Whether I would in that position as already said would be open for consideration.

Back
Top Bottom