Good luck England!

I thought Maguire was far more effective than Stones - he carried the ball out of defence quite well at times.

I thought Maguire was far more effective than Stones - he carried the ball out of defence quite well at times.
Maguire also misplaced some passes in the first half near the penalty area, another team would have made better use of those misdirected passes which could have cost us, but good header goal bound which Kane followed up

Quite how Sterling even managed to get on the plane to Russia is beyond me.

He is absolutely diabolical.. how on earth has he managed to forge a career at the top level?

A good young squad who I think would be in with a greater chance in 2022 if the nucleolus of the squad can be held together. Too early for this tournament I think, couldn't see them getting a result over Spain or Portugal.

I do wish the media would shut up, they are now trying to hype this team up and we all know how this normally ends!

Would rather keep things low key and see how it goes..

Didn’t rate Maguire or even stones tbh

I'm not saying either had perfect games. They did appear to be comfortable with and in possession though - not the first quality you think of in an English centre back.

Out of interest, who would you have preferred?

Oh, and I reckon we could still be playing now and Tunisia wouldn't have further scored without assistance.

He is absolutely diabolical.. how on earth has he managed to forge a career at the top level?

He not only got on the plane, he took a gun too...?

I do wish the media would shut up, they are now trying to hype this team up and we all know how this normally ends!

Would rather keep things low key and see how it goes..

Fully understand what you're saying but would hope that kind of nonsense is something that Southgate is good at managing.

The media only have power if people let them.

I'm more than happy with the result. The first game in the world cup is out of the way and the nerves will have settled. Yes we had some sitters missed, but that was across the board. I believe that the Panama game could be a cracking game for us.
I'd like to see more of Rashford and Loftus-Cheek they took the game to Tunisia.
The ref was awful. When Trippier was going to take a free kick, the ref told the Tunisian player to move, he didn't... so book him. Book him and move the ball forward.

Even though we started qute brightly against Tunisia, I thought both teams looked very nervous to begin with.

Hopefully this win will settle the nerves and we can play with a bit more freedom against Panama. Belgium and beyond will be a much sterner test for this young England side.

To my mind Sterling is an impact player at best, he has bags of pace and that’s his greatest asset. Stick him on the bench.

Not convinced by Walker in a back three but thought Stones and Maguire improved as the game went on. Towering header from Stones which lead to the first goal.

Young frustrates me, he’s playing on the left, doesn’t go past anyone and nearly always cuts back inside. Thought the other wingback Trippier was much more affective.

Not particularly a fan of Henderson but admit had one of his betterr games for England, Alli and Lingard a bit disappointing.

Kane hs that rare ability to be in the right place at the right time.

The two subs who came on Rashford and Loftus-Cheek both improved the side and must be in with a chance of starting the next match.

Pleased for Southgate that he got off to a winning start, I was fairly underwhelmed by his appointment but he’s impressed with his measured approach and planning. Players appear to respect him. Would be great for him on a personal level to progress further and be able to banish some of the memories of that penalty miss.

We won, which is better than most of the other pre-ordained "group winners" so far (and I'd say that title goes to Belgium in our group)

Also won our opening group match for the first time since 2006 (that includes the Euros)

You could say we're not looking likely winners on the basis of that performance. Neither are Germany, France, Brazil or Argentina. Despite the great match, did Portugal or Spain defences look unbeatable?

We've shaken off rust, have points to improve, and should get a hatful of chances to improve our sharpness in front of goal against Panama.

So diabolical that last season playing for Man City his stats were:

PL: 29(4) apps; 18 goals; 11 Assists
CL: 5(3) apps; 4 goals; 1 Assist

Shocking record that, with loads better than that in the PL.

What a fool Gareth Southgate is for picking him as well as Pep Guardiola. :rolleyes::cautious:

Sterling needs a lot of chances to score and having seen a few Citeh games, his performance last night was pretty consistent. Lots of pace, missed chances, inconsistent end product and a bit lightweight. Citeh have better players, so create more chances for him.

I suspect he needs a lot of management to keep his mind clear and focused,

As other results have shown, it's hard to break down teams intent on sitting behind the ball and literally defending for their country. A draw would've been frustrating, but had our finishing been better during the first 15-20 mins when we blew Tunisia away, we would be sat her talking about a very comofortable win and solid performance.

One major positive from last night was how good our set pieces were. We looked very dangerous from corners and free-kicks into the box, which could turn out to be a very big factor in games further along in the tournament.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. We have finally found a system that seems to suit our players, we have some defenders that are quite comfortable on the ball and happy to bring it out and play through lines, we have some forward players that like to receive the ball in tight situations and can beat a man, and we have a striker that must now be very much in the 'world class' bracket.

Bring on ze Germans I say.

What a fool Gareth Southgate is for picking him as well as Pep Guardiola. :rolleyes::cautious:
He doesn’t do it for England he looked more of a passenger last night

I didn't watch any Premier league games last season... So just judging on last night's performance Sterling was awful.

I didn't watch any Premier league games last season... So just judging on last night's performance Sterling was awful.
He worked very hard, from what I could see, but didn't hurt the opposition, but he can and that is why he is there. He can also play against top opposition so hopefully that will come in useful.

Back
Top Bottom