Good Article from Charlie Methven - Boardroom Chat

It’s not mine or your opinion on this that counts, it’s the people trying to pay the bills. We don’t know if the figures they pay are good or bad in their financial situation, we are in the dark concerning the make up of the clubs owners.

That’s not what the poster said or asked,
I’m pretty sure it had been well documented the figures that we pay each year, I thought the total was nearer £600k but happy to be corrected with the true figure.

Going back to the infamous fans forum where Tiger first raised the 'nearly £1m' figure and subsequent Kassam statement saying the rent was only £300k, I remember Jerome on RadOx trying to get to the truth of the matter. He said (paraphrasing) his understanding was the rent was £300k+ (so 300 -399). But the service charge, at the time DE put it into arbitration was in excess of £500k (so 500 - 599). Added together, nearly £1m.
Conveniently allowing Jerome to diplomatically conclude there was an element of truth in what they both said.

Brilliant interview. No shame in admitting id have utterly loved for Charlie and Stewart to be running our club.

Combination of fan and business brain would have brought success.

It’s not mine or your opinion on this that counts, it’s the people trying to pay the bills. We don’t know if the figures they pay are good or bad in their financial situation, we are in the dark concerning the make up of the clubs owners.
Yep fair comment. You’d at least hope that Tiger came in with his eyes open. Maybe the question should be how long did they plan on having to pay this sum to FK. My gut feeling is that they came in, as others have before them, believing they could quickly resolve the stadium situation through amicable negotiations with Kassam/LAs etc but are now realising that that isn’t so simple. Only guessing obviously as nobody has a clue what Tigers plan is. Or even if he has one.

Going back to the infamous fans forum where Tiger first raised the 'nearly £1m' figure and subsequent Kassam statement saying the rent was only £300k, I remember Jerome on RadOx trying to get to the truth of the matter. He said (paraphrasing) his understanding was the rent was £300k+ (so 300 -399). But the service charge, at the time DE put it into arbitration was in excess of £500k (so 500 - 599). Added together, nearly £1m.
Conveniently allowing Jerome to diplomatically conclude there was an element of truth in what they both said.
Tiger turned to Niall McWilliams and said something like we apparently pay £1m to FK.
He had clearly been told that. Afterwards it was made clear that included VAT
Whatever, it seems that the club pay over the odds for what it gets especially based on the Division it is in.
Lenegan signed a terrible deal (I assume he signed it alongside Merry,)

Tiger turned to Niall McWilliams and said something like we apparently pay £1m to FK.
He had clearly been told that. Afterwards it was made clear that included VAT
Whatever, it seems that the club pay over the odds for what it gets especially based on the Division it is in.
Lenegan signed a terrible deal (I assume he signed it alongside Merry,)

Fair point re VAT, so IF the combined rent + service charge bill to OUFC was £1m, that would be split £833k to Kassam, £167k to HMRC.
That's still a huge amount to pay Kassam given the current state of the Breeze Block.

I agree with Great Uncle Kip, I’d rather Methven and Donald be running the show here. His heart is still in Oxford and ma6be another day....

Yes a good article.
TBH Charlie was normally good value on here and often spoke sense.
He did have the ability to rub people up the wrong way, but he clearly loved the club.
From his judgements on the players he clearly keeps up to date with what is going on.
Should think he keeps up with players so they can think about making offers at the appropriate time..cynical moi?

A good read, nice and open about split loyalties.

I never thought I would write this but a fairly balanced and enjoyable interview. Are we sure this is the real Charlie?

When I say real Charlie I don't mean any recreational substances .........although sometimes during the season you need something to get you through some games lol

Love, hate, or just not bothered about Charlie, he's sort of all right with me because he is an Oxford fan. Listening to his interviews since joining Sunderland it is obvious that his loyalties are torn which is nice to see.

Back
Top Bottom