Good Article from Charlie Methven - Boardroom Chat

Personally, I love the final quote - "I worked part-time at a pub the players drank in after training, and once served our ‘keeper about 15 pints in a sitting two nights before a game! Those were the days. I know that modern fitness levels are better, but I suspect that it is very hard now to mould the kind of team spirit that some teams had in those days."

Always knew that Phil Whitehead was a great keeper. Never knew he was that talented a drinker as well......Respect due.

Otherwise, Charlie talks a lot of sense. But talking sense was never really his issue on here.......

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

This is what I wrote on the https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/looks-like-charlie-has-got-his-wish.816/page-5 back in May last year. The conflict of loyalties always interested me.

As I said on another thread having met Stewart and the Donald family a few times I can only wish him well, the Donald family have been very good friends to OUFC over the years particularly when needed most.

I’ve never met Charlie so can only judge him on his postings on this site.

What is interesting (to me at least) is that Sunderland will be in the same league as Oxford next season and therefore one of our rivals and competitors.

Picture this, come the final match of the season and Sunderland with their huge financial advantage due to parachute payments need to win to secure promotion back to the Championship and one step from the Premier League. Just so happens they are playing Oxford United who need a win to avoid relegation to Division 4 and one step from oblivion.

Where do your loyalties lie?;)

Yes a good article.
TBH Charlie was normally good value on here and often spoke sense.
He did have the ability to rub people up the wrong way, but he clearly loved the club.
From his judgements on the players he clearly keeps up to date with what is going on.

A really good read, that! Yes, he did often speak very good sense. I just didn't like the way he seemed to try to belittle anyone who disagreed with him. Maybe that's a little unfair, as occasionally he had very reasonable disagreements with people...but if they got in any way negative with him he'd out-negative them way more than was necessary.

More than anything, though, I'd have liked to have seen Stuart and Charlie have a go at running the mighty Yellows.

A good interview indeed, his passion for Oxford United still shines through and he’s not afraid to show it while still making clear his commitment to Sunderland. He strikes the perfect balance. I always enjoyed reading Charlie’s posts, he would’ve had a field day on here this season. Interesting that he wouldn’t be drawn on his opinion of Tiger as he’d probably be meeting him on Saturday. Seems his thoughts possibly wouldn’t have been too complimentary..?

But the elephant in the room that nobody has mentioned: A £million to FK each year in rent..? Is he correct?? If so no wonder we’re sinking.

A good interview indeed, his passion for Oxford United still shines through and he’s not afraid to show it while still making clear his commitment to Sunderland. He strikes the perfect balance. I always enjoyed reading Charlie’s posts, he would’ve had a field day on here this season. Interesting that he wouldn’t be drawn on his opinion of Tiger as he’d probably be meeting him on Saturday. Seems his thoughts possibly wouldn’t have been too complimentary..?

But the elephant in the room that nobody has mentioned: A £million to FK each year in rent..? Is he correct?? If so no wonder we’re sinking.

Yes, I noticed that...but always thought it was half that. That's still a ton of money to be paying (and what a crap deal was negotiated). But my other question is whether it was Oxford City Council who dealt us the crap hand or Nick Merry.

Not the million pound shite again, our rent is £300k

Interesting article and you can see Charlie still has affection for the club. I sincerely hope we’re not paying the slum landlord £1million a year

Might be worth starting a separate thread for that Q&A ?
Who is doing the five min fans forum for OUFC on Rad ox 5.45 pm tomorrow ....if it's the M.D. someone(s) could ask that for question to be asked? .....though prob unlikely a straight answer or any answer will be forthcoming on that subject?

Absolutely enjoyed the article, especially this bit " I suspect that this is as much to do with his mouthy Scouser style as anything else. Oxfordshire folk like a bit of dignity in their gaffer".

I'm 100% with Methven on this.

He’s still peddling the £1m a year to Firoz, though, Simon.

With the service charge increasing every year and, having started far higher than it was worth, I wouldn't be surprised to find a figure close to a £1 million per year. Not saying it is but, it was always a dreadful deal.

Methven didn't say rent, what he actually said was "The million odd quid a year that OUFC pay Kassam".
So probably rent (£300k - £400k) + service charge (£500k - £600k).
If round up you get to the £1m, if you round down you don't.
That’s not what the poster said or asked,
I’m pretty sure it had been well documented the figures that we pay each year, I thought the total was nearer £600k but happy to be corrected with the true figure.

That’s not what the poster said or asked,
I’m pretty sure it had been well documented the figures that we pay each year, I thought the total was nearer £600k but happy to be corrected with the true figure.
That’s still a massive sum to be shelling out with nothing to show for it apart from the ‘privilege’ of playing at a substandard stadium. The situation just doesn’t appear to be sustainable to me?

Back
Top Bottom