goalscoring issues cornered?

I did wonder, when Ruffs scored on Tuesday, if that was our first of the season, so thanks for clearing that up.

Reminds me of the good old days in the Beech Road when we'd sing (to the tune of Guantanamera):

Score from a corner,
We never score from a corner etc etc.

How we laughed.

We need a Joey Beauchamp - Matty Elliott type partnership to form. The front post corner from Joey and Matty Elliott would flick or glance it on to the back post for somebody else or often enough go straight in.

We need a Joey Beauchamp - Matty Elliott type partnership to form. The front post corner from Joey and Matty Elliott would flick or glance it on to the back post for somebody else or often enough go straight in.

No team does this any more. I don't know if it has just fallen out of fashion or coaches have worked out how to set their defence up to negate this tactic.

No team does this any more. I don't know if it has just fallen out of fashion or coaches have worked out how to set their defence up to negate this tactic.

It would be worth a try as these things always seem to go with what is fashionable. Have 2 or 3 key routines so Dickie on the front post with Nelson on the far post (or however KR wants the personnel) and Mous as a wildcard. It would be less random, and sure some teams will suss it out, but it has got to be more successful than what has gone before.

I would like to see modern day coaches plan to negate Elliot on the front post from corners, I have a feeling that it might be abandoned pretty quickly, he was very effective there.

Or back in the day, Brock floating it near post, it undid so many teams, notably Man Utd in the glory 83/4 Milk Cup run.

Last edited:
Or back in the day, Brock floating it near post, it undid so many teams, notably Man Utd in the glory 83/4 Milk Cup run.
one of the best near post flick ons from a corner, to the far post and into the net was Beano away at Crawley, non league days ...cold midweek night, we were trailing 1-0 to fatty mc cheats creepy crawley, equalised late on, then in time added on we won a corner...near post flick on for Beano running onto to it and thumping it (with his head) into the back of the net. In front of the travelling Oxford fans :D ...full time a min or 2 later, 1-2 away win:)

Last edited by a moderator:
So...thinking out loud.

What if we developed a decent set piece strategy that we scored 15ish goals a season from?

That would be the expectation of a striker...however you are gaining the goals without the huge (possible) payout?

Set pieces are hugely under utilised, this is something with some time and effort you could develop, get an edge over opposition and hugely benefit from (taking pressure off strikers...15 goals from set pieces is around a goal every 3 games...a decent scoring rate for a striker).

Back
Top Bottom