Goalkeepers

According to Wiki he's 5' 11" tall. Used to a bit taller than that. But we'll see.

This is a bizarre situation, KR's media comments are becoming questionable at best.

Just because Eastwood has played every game for years doesn't mean he's invincible and we don't need adequate cover. I have no idea why Shearer was given another year if he's physically unable to play.

"(But to play) two months at his age, he’s had a back problem in pre-season and didn’t train for two weeks."
"He had a back problem last year, I can’t risk that."

Then he goes and signs a youngster with minimal first team experience...

"We’re going to Portsmouth, the Stadium of Light, some of the biggest grounds in the league."
"Even though I’m an advocate of playing young players, at the same time you can’t ruin them."
"I’m not willing to risk that just yet."

Surely you plan for this kind of thing - what happened to MAPP's policy of shortlisting 4/5 players in each position.

So, as I've just texted to a fellow supporter....we have a number 2 keeper with a back problem who is fine as long as he doesn't have to train or play? OK filling a space on the bench though.

This is a bizarre situation, KR's media comments are becoming questionable at best.

Just because Eastwood has played every game for years doesn't mean he's invincible and we don't need adequate cover. I have no idea why Shearer was given another year if he's physically unable to play.

"(But to play) two months at his age, he’s had a back problem in pre-season and didn’t train for two weeks."
"He had a back problem last year, I can’t risk that."

Then he goes and signs a youngster with minimal first team experience...

"We’re going to Portsmouth, the Stadium of Light, some of the biggest grounds in the league."
"Even though I’m an advocate of playing young players, at the same time you can’t ruin them."
"I’m not willing to risk that just yet."

Surely you plan for this kind of thing - what happened to MAPP's policy of shortlisting 4/5 players in each position.

I cannot see why we bring in an inexperienced keeper

this is like signing Martinez & Ripley when we had Crocombe waiting, now Stevens is in the same boat

And I agree that Shearer is a waste of a wage if he cant train or play.... I would have played Stevens rather than Shearer on Saturday, give our own players a chance

Absolute kick in the balls for Jack Stevens....desperately need some firepower with 0 in the goals for column, yet Robinson gets in a(nother) keeper..... if shearer and stevens arent up to it why give em contracts? Unbelievable! This is already shaping up to be a long and tedious season and were under 2 weeks in. Hey bloody ho:sneaky:

Maybe Shearer's working on his coaching badges and is a cheap option to have on the bench, to play for the odd few minutes?

Living in Derby, I have seen Mitchell play quite a bit for their reserves. Definitely a good keeper and Luton wouldn't have signed any old kop when they were going to for promotion. Hopefully he doesn't have a Connor Ripley style disaster.

Robinsons explanation gives some depth but every time he talks about Shearer, it comes across like talking about a coach. Wouldn't surprise me to see Shearer end up coaching the u23s/youth keepers, especially as Brown seems to be about the only goalkeeping coach at the entire club.

This is very much like the Crocombe situation. But perhaps we might let Stevens go out on loan with a 24hour recall clause perhaps.

Based on how it has turned out, realistically we should have made Shearer a coach or released him, made Stevens a proper number 2 and loaned a keeper if required. Can't help but feel the biggest loser in all this is Stevens.

Why did we only have 1 fit goalkeeper? Really very poor planning by management. To assume Eastwood would stay fit all season was complacency of the highest order.

So how many loans is that now? Can we still get a 20 goals a season striker in on loan?

Stevens is the u23 keeper, sharing understudy duties with Shearer for Eastwood. Eastwood signed a contract earlier this summer, presumably because he is the sole first team keeper. He's a professional, and doesn't need anyone after his place to give the job his full attention and best efforts. But with Browne and Shearer at the club, he's two experienced guys to push him to perform and improve.

Had Eastwood been injured in September... There may have been a problem... Stevens or Shearer would have had to play. Eastwood, like many keepers, doesn't miss many games. This is a freak accident. Let' hope he makes a full physical and psychological recovery quickly. I hope we don't have comments like "his hands have gone since the injury".

KR is happy for Stevens to play, but doesn't want him to have an extended run in the first team just yet - particularly in high pressure games. Shearer is 2nd choice, but there to play only if Eastwood isn't available for a game or two.

Haven't read all the threads on the goalkeeper situation but one point that I don't think has been made is that it was not clear that Robinson willingly extended Scott Shearer's contract. The official website reported the news as "Goalkeeper Scott Shearer had a clause in his existing contract which has been activated to earn him a new one year contract".

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/may/retained-list/

Now it doesn't say who "activated" the clause but I remembered thinking the wording was odd when I read it back in May and that it was not necessarily Robinson's choice to have "activated" it. Shearer only made two Checkatrade Trophy appearances last season, so it seems unlikely the contract would be appearance-based. Perhaps the option was based on appearances and how many times he was on the subs bench? Perhaps it was something related to coaching? We will likely never know.

Anyway, I may be completely wrong and the club willingly took up the option but this would at least be a more plausible explanation as to why we currently have four keepers on our books, three of whom Robinson is apparently unwilling to play in the first team for more than the odd game or two.

Maybe Shearer's working on his coaching badges and is a cheap option to have on the bench, to play for the odd few minutes?

Seems like about 10 minutes is his limit...

An absolutely pointless wage and ridiculous to give him another year.