Goalkeepers

Stevens feels a logical choice for Tuesday. Instincts says he should take over from Eastwood, but I can understand the reluctance from the manager to put him at the deep end. If he doesn't take over the shirt, he has to get some games at a decent level.

What is the point of Shearer if he is not up to the job? I thought KRs statement yesterday will have done Shearer’ confidence no good at all. If I was tiger I would also be questioning KRs use of the budget if he thinks he needs a fifth goalie

Absolutely Yellow hert - what's the use of having a "not good enough" reserve goalie??

I think Robinson might try to loan ex-Cambridge United goalie Will Norris from Wolves. Norris has hardly featured for Wolves' first team since he joined them in summer last year. His chances will be further limited because of a recent signing, and of course he's well known to Shaun Derry.

Absolutely Yellow hert - what's the use of having a "not good enough" reserve goalie??
Ok, but didn't SHearer himself say that the GK coach (WB) say that he pushes them both equally in training so either could go between the sticks. A combination of lack of first team game time and a howler of a game (he seemed reluctant to leave his line and when he did he parried out rather than caught - with the exception of the penalty give away) will have done nothing for his confidence. Even making allowances - he was well below the standard required. KR inherited these goalkeepers and maybe loans for outfield players (with Eastwood so dependable) was higher on his list. Can he have been expected to have foreseen such a serious injury, That said many have a point by perhaps playing Stevens tomorrow to see what he can do.

Ok, but didn't SHearer himself say that the GK coach (WB) say that he pushes them both equally in training so either could go between the sticks. A combination of lack of first team game time and a howler of a game (he seemed reluctant to leave his line and when he did he parried out rather than caught - with the exception of the penalty give away) will have done nothing for his confidence. Even making allowances - he was well below the standard required. KR inherited these goalkeepers and maybe loans for outfield players (with Eastwood so dependable) was higher on his list. Can he have been expected to have foreseen such a serious injury, That said many have a point by perhaps playing Stevens tomorrow to see what he can do.
Shearer got given a new contract this summer, so he has to go down as a KR signing. The reason given at the time was that he was a "big character around the place". Unfortunately, footballers sometimes need to be able to play football, which means if he isn't capable of that anymore it was not a good decision. You can't gamble on only having one goalkeeper capable of playing first team games.

Scott Shearer is a perfectly reasonable League 2 ‘keeper. He’s maybe a bit more exposed in League 1 and a bit rusty but should be good enough to have the goalkeeper slot for a few matches each season.

If you don’t have faith in putting him between the sticks, why give him a new contract? Spend that wage on a PL/Championship third choice youngster and have him as your backup instead.

The mind boggles as to what went through the recruitment process over the summer …

Shearer has over 400 games behind him - sure he's probably not "match sharp", but a few intensive traing sessions and he will be just as good as anyone we can get on loan. Stevens should be send out on loan to further his development, but this could be delayed until Eastwood is back.

If we do go for a loan keeper, I would expect it to be someone else's bench warmer coming in to warm our own, but I'd honestly save the money.

got to be disheartening for any pro to hear a manager effectivly say he wants a loan player to play above you - you got to start questioning your place at the club and what the future holds, Shearer had his contract extended - what was he point if he wasnt good enough?

Shearer has over 400 games behind him - sure he's probably not "match sharp", but a few intensive traing sessions and he will be just as good as anyone we can get on loan. Stevens should be send out on loan to further his development, but this could be delayed until Eastwood is back.

If we do go for a loan keeper, I would expect it to be someone else's bench warmer coming in to warm our own, but I'd honestly save the money.

Maybe Shearer's "legs have gone" (copyright midfielders starting in the Darren Patterson regime, current possible incumbent = Mackie)

Loan goalie from Derby who seem to be being good to us..agree with the logic...we are in a different situation than when we had Slocombe and Buchel imo

We now have a Sam Smith and a Joni Mitchell in the team as well...

Was on the fence about getting a loan replacement, I think whether or not it's the right decision will depend on how good Mitchell is

The explanation given by KR is reasonable.

Mitchell is 23, so young but a little older and more experienced than Stevens.