Home Match Day Thread Giveaways for kids yesterday?

Hi Mark.

Most of what you say sounds about right apart from the missed point that my complaint is not that my child didn't get a scarf but that many children didn't get a scarf - intended for children - because they were given to adults not children - that is my point.

I believe in transparency and i posted the transcript because i believe that supporters / the public should have access to conversations in relation to the club and it's members / supporters.

I sincerely hope that this will not make such initiatives rarer in the future - I hope that this experience and the previous one a few seasons ago where match tickets were sent to local schools for children but were used by adults (same point) will make them try to find a way to ensure that children, if they are the intended recipients are the one's to get them - I guess we will have to wait and see.

Kendra

To be fair, from what I can see it isn’t really the kids who have had an issue with it but more the parent who feels like their kids have missed out when others haven’t.

Of course this is disappointing, as it was for myself when not managing to get my hands on a free flag (would have been nice hanging from my balcony on holiday) but it’s one of those things.

Had the club promised free scarves/flags to everyone in attendance you would almost have a case for complaint, but even then only if it was part of the ticket you had purchased rather than a nice extra the club said they’d provide.

In my opinion, Complaints like this, and the publishing of the emails in the public domain to use as another stick to beat the club with is only likely to make such initiatives rarer in the future.

It may seem to those who make the decisons to do these (and have to deal with the aftermath) that they are more hassle than they are worth.

Absolutely embarrassing reading this thread. The club giveaway free merchandise to help improve the atmosphere and get slated because they did not arrive in time enough. There is no mention on the club press release about the scarves being just for kids.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/march/scunthorpe-sea-of-yellow/

This Friday sees a massive game for Oxford United as Karl Robinson takes charge at home for the very first time.
United’s new Head Coach will be in the dug-out for the first team when the U’s take on Scunthorpe in front of the SKY cameras at 12.45pm on Good Friday and we want as many fans as possible here to give him a warm welcome.
With that in mind we are turning the stadium into a sea of yellow with fantastic giveaways for supporters.There will be 2,000 FREE FLAGS in the seats in all the stands and 300 FREE YELLOW SCARVES available in the Family Area and from stewards and programme sellers all around the ground.
The flags and scarves are there for everyone; please take one and leave others for fellow fans!
All we ask in return is that everyone waves their flags and scarves as Karl and the players come out of the tunnel for kick off.
It is going to be a fantastic occasion and with Chairman Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth here for a home game for the first time since taking over let’s show everyone what Oxford United is all about.
Tickets are available from 01865 337533 and online from oufctickets.co.uk
We are Oxford United; be here to roar us on.

If people put make multiple trips to the, probably different distributors, and hide them in bags etc then how can the club police that. Adults wearing scarves inside are quite within their rights to do so.

You then waste the time of three people, very much committed to the club and trying to do their best for it, with emails and stupid demands.

As I say, embarrassing. Grow up and get a grip. It's this sense of entitlement that sees many children growing up expecting to be spoon fed and with no respect.

Last edited:
Hi Mark.

Most of what you say sounds about right apart from the missed point that my complaint is not that my child didn't get a scarf but that many children didn't get a scarf - intended for children - because they were given to adults not children - that is my point.

I believe in transparency and i posted the transcript because i believe that supporters / the public should have access to conversations in relation to the club and it's members / supporters.

I sincerely hope that this will not make such initiatives rarer in the future - I hope that this experience and the previous one a few seasons ago where match tickets were sent to local schools for children but were used by adults (same point) will make them try to find a way to ensure that children, if they are the intended recipients are the one's to get them - I guess we will have to wait and see.

Kendra

I fear that may happen.

The club said that there would be scarves and flags given away on the day (no mention of them only being given to children). They did that.

That was siezed upon by some fans as the first opportunity to criticise the club, claiming it would be old stock scarves and it wasn't the new badge (that turned out to be an incorrect claim - I've not seen anyone admit they were wrong about that yet).

The club also gave around 200 free tickets to local kids football teams (being a Good Friday they didn't have games), which was a good thing and deserves a bit of praise (well done club).

There has been criticism of how the club handled the distribution of these free items. If the club had demanded to body search and check the bags of anyone wanting a scarf or flag, to check they hadn't already got one, they would have, I'm sure, been criticised on here for going over the top.

A couple of seasons ago the stewards in the East Stand started doing random ticket checks, and there were complaints on here that it was over the top. The reason they were doing it was because adults were buying child tickets and using them to get into the game.

I honestly can't see what the club have done wrong to deserve the criticism and complaints that you've not had an apology (as far as the emails that you've shown go, I think you've received plenty of apologies).

The club is undergoing some changes behind the scenes, and I know there are lots of good people trying to do good things for the fans. I know from personal experience that whatever you try and do to improve things around match days, some fans will take the opportunity to moan (not directed at you by the way). I think that's just human nature nowadays.

I hope that your daughter doesn't give up supporting OUFC over such a (relatively) trivial matter. As a supporter of Oxford United for more years than I'd care to admit, I know that if she does continue to support the club, then she'll be in for plenty more disappointment!

If they gave out envelopes of cash with £200 in each people would still be moaning... When the club gives out 300 scarves, it's fairly obvious that not everyone is going to get one...

If you wanted one, buy one.

For the record, the website specifically said that the scarves were intended for children, the flags for everyone and my complaint is definitely not that we didn't get a scarf LOL It is simply that it would have gone a long way for OUFC to have put something up on the website explaining that it didn't go to plan but they do value young supporters - That's all! They made a big mess-up handing them out to every adult. I'm only making a valid and correct point!

Best, Kendra
Incorrect, maybe you should read the original story. Quote here from the OUFC site:

"
With that in mind we are turning the stadium into a sea of yellow with fantastic giveaways for supporters.There will be 2,000 FREE FLAGS in the seats in all the stands and 300 FREE YELLOW SCARVES available in the Family Area and from stewards and programme sellers all around the ground.

The flags and scarves are there for everyone; please take one and leave others for fellow fans!"

The scarves were specifically for everyone in the family area, so that's young fans and parents/guardians. And 2000 flags around the rest of the ground for everyone else.

They merely put the scarves in that area because that's where most young people congregate. They don't need to put anything out there about "messing up", they made a great gesture and all went to plan. Please stop trying to turn such a positive gesture from the club into a negative, they're probably wondering why they even bothered!

Last edited:
Hi Mark.

Kendra
Once you realised your kids weren't going to get a free scarf you could have just promised them that you would buy them one at the nearest opportunity. It's not as if they are expensive. This was a fantastic gesture from the club, one I've never known before and I'm going back to the sixties. So get over it and stop worrying the oufc staff with your stupid emails.

My son is a season ticket holder, we arrived 2 hours early and we're told they had handed out all the scarves! He will still be back next season as at 12 years old he knows the difference between want and need. Great gesture from the club but there were over 7000 people at the game meaning 1 scarf between 24-25 people, so he's not to disappointed. COYY. We also took advantage of the family away day to Walsall which was excellent although shockingly under subscribed.

I always find calls for locking or closing threads a little pointless but I’d be tempted on this occasion.

What a terrible waste of the club’s time having to respond to such nonsense on the back of a positive initiative.

Although she is too young to attend games, I told my daughter that she might have a new yellow flag or scarf on my return (she already has one of each) for which she was excited. When I came home without one, I explained that they had all run out but not to worry as she already had lots of nice things. She seemed happy enough - if only some other older fans of ours could show similar levels of maturity!

I would hope that any club officials perusing this forum would know and understand that such pettiness and churlish behaviour are the actions of the very, very few and that the majority of us are thankful for generous actions such as these. Keep up the good work!

I always find calls for locking or closing threads a little pointless but I’d be tempted on this occasion.

What a terrible waste of the club’s time having to respond to such nonsense on the back of a positive initiative.

Although she is too young to attend games, I told my daughter that she might have a new yellow flag or scarf on my return (she already has one of each) for which she was excited. When I came home without one, I explained that they had all run out but not to worry as she already had lots of nice things. She seemed happy enough - if only some other older fans of ours could show similar levels of maturity!

I would hope that any club officials perusing this forum would know and understand that such pettiness and churlish behaviour are the actions of the very, very few and that the majority of us are thankful for generous actions such as these. Keep up the good work!
Here here.?

I can’t believe I’ve just read that thread, I think I’ve wasted part of my life to it.
I wonder how many people in total complained about not getting a FREE scarf.

Robie -you clearly haven't read the original post because all of your comments have absolutely nothing to do with the issue! Astounding!

Absolutely embarrassing reading this thread. The club giveaway free merchandise to help improve the atmosphere and get slated because they did not arrive in time enough. There is no mention on the club press release about the scarves being just for kids.

If people put make multiple trips to the, probably different distributors, and hide them in bags etc then how can the club police that. Adults wearing scarves inside are quite within their rights to do so.

You then waste the time of three people, very much committed to the club and trying to do their best for it, with emails and stupid demands.

As I say, embarrassing. Grow up and get a grip. It's this sense of entitlement that sees many children growing up expecting to be spoon fed and with no respect.

Ha! If you include the line before what you have quoted then you would see in perspective that the scarves were intended for children!

Incorrect, maybe you should read the original story. Quote here from the OUFC site:

"

The flags and scarves are there for everyone; please take one and leave others for fellow fans!"

The scarves were specifically for everyone in the family area, so that's young fans and parents/guardians. And 2000 flags around the rest of the ground for everyone else.

They merely put the scarves in that area because that's where most young people congregate. They don't need to put anything out there about "messing up", they made a great gesture and all went to plan. Please stop trying to turn such a positive gesture from the club into a negative, they're probably wondering why they even bothered!

Mark, You presume that i did not promise my child that very thing and you also presume that i have the money to promise such a thing! How do you know how i handled the situation with my kids. As a matter of fact, they didn't care about it a minute after it happened. OUFc (dedicated or not) made a mess-up of this and they won't hold their hands up to it!

I seldom complain but i do take umbridge at the terrible execution of the initiative and i will continue to complain where i see fit - It is my human right.

Once you realised your kids weren't going to get a free scarf you could have just promised them that you would buy them one at the nearest opportunity. It's not as if they are expensive. This was a fantastic gesture from the club, one I've never known before and I'm going back to the sixties. So get over it and stop worrying the oufc staff with your stupid emails.

Mark, You presume that i did not promise my child that very thing and you also presume that i have the money to promise such a thing! How do you know how i handled the situation with my kids. As a matter of fact, they didn't care about it a minute after it happened. OUFc (dedicated or not) made a mess-up of this and they won't hold their hands up to it!

I seldom complain but i do take umbridge at the terrible execution of the initiative and i will continue to complain where i see fit - It is my human right.

maybe take a leaf from your kids, and DONT CARE about it. complaining for complaings sake... you said your kids: "didn't care about it a minute after it happened" so why do you!?

Ha! If you include the line before what you have quoted then you would see in perspective that the scarves were intended for children!
And if you include the line I highlighted you'd see they were actually for everyone. Anyone could take one, but more children received them thanks to them being available in the family area. That was the intention and it all went to plan. You're the only one viewing this in anything but a positive way.

maybe take a leaf from your kids, and DONT CARE about it. complaining for complaings sake... you said your kids: "didn't care about it a minute after it happened" so why do you!?
Mark I reserve the right to take a stand where i see fit and will continue to do so. You have clearly not seen the point at all! I am really not interested in listening to any more of your judgemental comments so don't be surprised if i ignore any more of them

And if you include the line I highlighted you'd see they were actually for everyone. Anyone could take one, but more children received them thanks to them being available in the family area. That was the intention and it all went to plan. You're the only one viewing this in anything but a positive way.
I maintain that the full announcement either directly stated or heavily heavily implied thy were for kids to which the stand manager and many others also agreed.

Mark I reserve the right to take a stand where i see fit and will continue to do so. You have clearly not seen the point at all! I am really not interested in listening to any more of your judgemental comments so don't be surprised if i ignore any more of them
alright "bob" who's Mark?.... :)

I maintain that the full announcement either directly stated or heavily heavily implied thy were for kids to which the stand manager and many others also agreed.

Even so, on balance is it really worth worrying about? Ur child wasn’t bothered, (and got a scarf anyway) lots went home very happy with the promotion. There are times when the club need to be a lot more proactive in their fan engagement and communication. In this instance I think you’ve got so worked up by it you’re reading in things that ain’t even there in the replies. Not everyone in the stadium was going to get a freebie (your daughter did) they have acknowledged your points and promised to look at how they do future giveaways (if they even bother) as well as offering apologies several times. Time to let it drop I think, u made ur point, and got a scarf. I can’t see what taking it any further achieves .

hakuna matata

Back
Top Bottom