Give Robinson some slack

Considering past history KR was very unlucky with Eastwood getting injured!

In the region of £400k by all accounts.

If this is true, then it's the biggest indictment of Robinson's management and a huge tick in the 'OUT' column.

Because I'm not saying that Hanson's terrible - but from what I've seen, there's hundreds of players of his standard that change teams in League One every season on a free transfer.

If you're going to spend £400k on a player at a club our size, then they better be your best player or thereabouts, not rooted to the bench six months later in a relegation-threatened squad.

There's enough evidence to suggest that Robinson's a decent enough motivator, somewhat competent tactically, and although he talks nonsense to the press, I'm happy enough to ignore that if he's getting results (I assume Wilder is still talking nonsense up in Sheffield, but I doubt the fans there care at all!). But you have to be good at spotting talent and getting value for money for your signings at League One level - as Appleton very clearly was. Otherwise you get the club into trouble both on and off the field. And given his track record, I'm not sure Robinson is.

If this is true, then it's the biggest indictment of Robinson's management and a huge tick in the 'OUT' column.

Because I'm not saying that Hanson's terrible - but from what I've seen, there's hundreds of players of his standard that change teams in League One every season on a free transfer.

If you're going to spend £400k on a player at a club our size, then they better be your best player or thereabouts, not rooted to the bench six months later in a relegation-threatened squad.

There's enough evidence to suggest that Robinson's a decent enough motivator, somewhat competent tactically, and although he talks nonsense to the press, I'm happy enough to ignore that if he's getting results (I assume Wilder is still talking nonsense up in Sheffield, but I doubt the fans there care at all!). But you have to be good at spotting talent and getting value for money for your signings at League One level - as Appleton very clearly was. Otherwise you get the club into trouble both on and off the field. And given his track record, I'm not sure Robinson is.

But apparently he wasn’t a Robbo signing

In all honesty, this was more likely a Tiger statement signing rather than one from Robinson.

In all honesty, this was more likely a Tiger statement signing rather than one from Robinson.

Well if Robinson didn't have any input into the Hanson signing then he's of course absolved - and we're really in trouble if our owner is getting us 400k further in debt to buy defensive midfielders/fullbacks who can't get a game in the Championship.

But frankly, if it was a 'glamour' signing (for our level) like a Peter Crouch or similar....then I could see it being an owner decision. But - as ZtH says above - are we really supposed to believe that he went and bought a relative unknown from Derby behind his manager's back?

Well if Robinson didn't have any input into the Hanson signing then he's of course absolved - and we're really in trouble if our owner is getting us 400k further in debt to buy defensive midfielders/fullbacks who can't get a game in the Championship.

But frankly, if it was a 'glamour' signing (for our level) like a Peter Crouch or similar....then I could see it being an owner decision. But - as ZtH says above - are we really supposed to believe that he went and bought a relative unknown from Derby behind his manager's back?

Robinson said himself that Hanson wasn’t one of his signings

Robinson said himself that Hanson wasn’t one of his signings

When was that? Genuinely curious because I can't find anything online, other than the typical effusive praise when we signed him.

When was that? Genuinely curious because I can't find anything online, other than the typical effusive praise when we signed him.

It was said in a post-match interview a few months back. A fleeting reference which was questioned at the time and reaffirmed (I think) but felt very much like a spur of the moment comment after an emotional game. Whether it’s true or not, who knows.

What probably happened was that Hanson was one of a number of players being looked at. As deals weren't coming together everyone panicked, including in my view Tiger. He wanted to show that he could buy big and when Hanson came up at £400k or whatever, I imagine that KR said that it was too much, but Tiger said to seal the deal.

So Robinson could argue that the final deal wasn't his despite knowing of the player. That's why I have some sympathy for KR and his 'top 8' budget if half of it was spunked on a squad player at best.

It was said in a post-match interview a few months back. A fleeting reference which was questioned at the time and reaffirmed (I think) but felt very much like a spur of the moment comment after an emotional game. Whether it’s true or not, who knows.
As I recall he said in a post match when being pressured about the Hanson signing "the club signed him" made it sound like it was nothing to do with him. He has also made comments like I've never paid that much for a player about Hanson.

But you have to be good at spotting talent and getting value for money for your signings at League One level - as Appleton very clearly was. Otherwise you get the club into trouble both on and off the field. And given his track record, I'm not sure Robinson is.
Don't disagree with most of your points Tony, but MAPP signed Hemmings for what £200k?
Pretty poor signing as were a few of his striker signings (having offloaded Hylton)
All managers make mistakes.
Whyte and Sykes hopefully will prove to have been very astute signings.

Has it really not occured to you that many of the posters who express a lack of faith in our Acting Manager do "actually support the team".

I am under the impression that sam smith, browne and hanson were the recruitment team...

He is not a Michael Appleton or Wilder but those 2 were excellent if abrasive at times.

Interestingly, he’s achieved more in football management than Michael Appleton to date, which is food for thought.

(I’d have Appleton back tomorrow btw)

If KR is here next season I would want to see the following improvements from him and the club:
- Fewer loans
- Only sign players who are fit and have a decent injury record

I don’t disagree with most of what you say, but in terms of getting the squad settled early; it’s rather wishful, but I think KR needs a reasonable amount of slack cut as in this modern world players (and agents) will ALWAYS hang on until the last minute for the best deal; and I think his hands have been tied more than we can appreciate.

As for loanees; I agree we shouldn’t RELY on them; but surely we should EMBRACE the system, it would be folly not to make the best of it. It’s about selecting the correct loanees which in the case of Sam Smith and to an extent Luke Garbutt - we probably didn’t. But it does open up a quality of player not otherwise available at a knockdown price; we’d be mad to have less than the maximum available; competition for places nothing but a good thing.

Finally; I’ll get the usual pelters for saying so, but previous injury record doesn’t predict future injury record; unless there’s some underlying predisposition, almost all injuries are freak events. Gotta trust the club’s medical staff on this. Sometimes they will get it wrong, sometimes there will be acts of God. However disappointing, Ricky Holmes was worth it for the goal at Sunderland alone. If his luck was any better, chances are good we’d be a few points better off by now and not struggling.

KR wanted and made Jem Karacan a couple of offers. I think once he signed for Millwall someone panicked and we signed Hanson for an inflated fee and overlong contract. Karacan left them and went to the USA in January.

I am under the impression that sam smith, browne and hanson were the recruitment team...

They were, and agreed on by KR.

He may have wanted other targets first, but Smith was definitely Robinson going after him as was Hanson whose deal he pushed over the line.

Still a billion percent Robbo out for me.

Tactically inept bar one or two displays, disastrous summer transfers, some truly awful displays and results, rooted to the bottom four most of the season, talks utter shite.

Back
Top Bottom