Getting the crowds back in

Will we be able to get 4k in socially distanced?
Teams with big grounds won't have a problem.
This is how Shrewsbury did it for a pilot game in September:

With a walkthrough video produced in the days before to enable attending supporters to understand what to expect:
I noticed that even when they scored a goal it appeared that the adults were still wearing masks. But at that dump that is Blackpool they were in small clusters not wearing masks and shouting and screaming. I hope that whatever happens for the return of fans its explained exactly what fans must and mustn’t do and themat these rules will be marshalled correctly.

The issue with fans coming back is the danger from infection via aerosol. If fans are singing, shouting or just talking to one another, particularly those outside of their "social bubble" then that aerosol effect is extremely dangerous. However, if anyone were to suggest that I keep a face mask on throughout the entire period in the stadium, I might have an issue. I don't enjoy wearing a face mask at the best (worst?) of times and to be sitting in the open air of a stadium would not be conducive to my complying. I would hope that face masks, at least on the terraces, is not obligatory. We shall see.

Pointless opening up grounds if you can’t sing or shout . I won’t be rushing back if we have to adhere to strict rules.

The issue with fans coming back is the danger from infection via aerosol. If fans are singing, shouting or just talking to one another, particularly those outside of their "social bubble" then that aerosol effect is extremely dangerous. However, if anyone were to suggest that I keep a face mask on throughout the entire period in the stadium, I might have an issue. I don't enjoy wearing a face mask at the best (worst?) of times and to be sitting in the open air of a stadium would not be conducive to my complying. I would hope that face masks, at least on the terraces, is not obligatory. We shall see.
I expect that it will be a must to wear a mask at all times while in the stadium, even when sitting down. I also doubt we will be allowed to sing/chant/shout at all. I also cant see there being any refreshments on sell.

The main concern would be the timing of fans entering and leaving the stadium and surrounding area all at the same time.

I personally don't plan to attend an OUFC match until it is fully safe to do so and it has gone back to being just a little bit 'normal'. I don't see that being this season unfortuantly.

I expect that it will be a must to wear a mask at all times while in the stadium, even when sitting down. I also doubt we will be allowed to sing/chant/shout at all. I also cant see there being any refreshments on sell.

The main concern would be the timing of fans entering and leaving the stadium and surrounding area all at the same time.

I personally don't plan to attend an OUFC match until it is fully safe to do so and it has gone back to being just a little bit 'normal'. I don't see that being this season unfortuantly.
Sadly, I suspect you will be proven right. Just won't be the same nor, comfortable. Will I go? Yup. Watching on iFollow is just not the same buzz. Mrs Lounger is the same, we really need that whole experience of attending. I guess we will have to take our own tea/coffee and biscuits - how depressing! ;)

Not been a major issue in non league as far as anyone can tell from the imperfect data. And that's with a small handful of volunteers trying to manage it (impossible).

Its the indoor concourses and public transport to/from that are the concerns at EFL level i would think.

Absolutely. Think of the difference between smoking in the open air and smoking in an enclosed space. It's about the same difference for covid just not as obvious.

Can we get you a Government advisor role? Great explanation! Just see how far your breath goes on a cold morning and how far away you can smell a cigarette!

Absolutely. Think of the difference between smoking in the open air and smoking in an enclosed space. It's about the same difference for covid just not as obvious.
As a smoker it has made me very aware of being around people when I light up. To the point now where I wont smoke in public if people are around.

Not sure if that was sarcastic or not but you’re welcome!
This pandemic has also highlighted to me the importance to quit, the problem is the ability to quit but I have given myself 6 months to do it.
No sarcasm there my friend. Genuinely grateful. Since I quit something like 10 years ago I have come to feel uncomfortable when in the presence of a smoker. Some of the away games have been spoilt by the half time antics of those who cannot do without for 90 minutes (plus half time)

This pandemic has also highlighted to me the importance to quit, the problem is the ability to quit but I have given myself 6 months to do it.
I got diagnosed with COPD ( emphysema) in 2010. I gave up smoking after 27!years in 2005. My GP told me I should give up and asked to see my fags he pointed out the nicotine and tar and threw them in his draw spoke for 5 mins more before he sent me to see the smoking nurse as I left he threw them at me and joked. I gave them to my wife and said when he comes out to call his next patient I told her to throw them back, she did. When I went to see the smoking nurse for the 2nd visit the following week She asked how my patches were doing I told her I had the same one on, she told me off but never smoked again.’during the first week after stopping i smoked 5 roll ups that were so skinny not even enough for one roll up just to take the knots away from my stomach, the best thing about it was my wife telling me 2 weeks after I stopped that I hadn’t coughed and also smelling someone who smoked how much they wreaked, plus will power does help. 😊

As a smoker it has made me very aware of being around people when I light up. To the point now where I wont smoke in public if people are around.
There is an assumption amongst smokers that they are cool and the rest of the non smoking world is uncool because non smokers are too "scared" to try it.

In reality the majority of the world has smoked for various lengths of time at some point in their lives and therefore by definition are ex smokers.

Obviously this has waned over time as people growing up now aren't as retarded as the older generation like me.

As an ex smoker of 15 years I am.disgusted by passive smoke more I suspect than a non smoker. If I was single I wouldn't go near a smoker.

Last edited:
I can relate to all this. My Mum died of COPD due to smoking, my father died last year due to heart attack (smoking cigars contributed to his death) and I had a massive heart attack 2 1/2 years ago (again cigar smoker).

So I gave up smoking among the other necessities and feel so much better for it and hate it when I smell the scent of cigarettes.

Bizarrely although smokers are much more likely to die for many more reasons than nonsmokers Covid is not one of them. They found in three studies in china france and california that smokers were more than 70% less likely to catch it. Covid seems to be suppressed by nicotine they were talking about giving frontline medics nicotine patches. Its been kept very quiet for obvious reasons.

make the transition to vaping.
i haven’t smoked for 5 years now and use fruit flavour vape juice - so it’s got to be healthy 🤔

Back
Top Bottom