Getting the crowds back in

Yes I have been shielding since the start as I belong to the extremely clinically vulnerable group, and have been very careful, I haven’t been to pubs or supermarket, only trips have been drs, dentist and hospital, real rock and roll lifestyle, as yet I can see no information about suitable vaccine for blood cancer patients in remission, so that’s why I am reluctant to return, I renewed my season ticket this year as a act of support for the club, I only managed to get to 5 home games the previous season due to chemotherapy treatment
I wish you all the very best of luck (always useful) and good health. I know at least one other person in a very similar position to you who's been a season-ticket holder for years, and will need to wait a good while yet...until it's really safe to head back to the ground.

I agree. I can't see how the club can make money from opening the terraces again to 4000 or 2000 fans if they are all season ticket holders. Those fans won't be paying anything to come into the stadium so, if anything, the club will lose money because they'll have to pay stewards etc.

Not saying that fans in the ground won't help the performances on the pitch but commercially I can't see it being worth our while.

Even teams who own their own grounds and normally sell 10,000, 20,000 or more tickets per game will suffer losses while its only season ticket holders in the ground, limited to a few thousand allowed in and no beer or food sales allowed IMO.

While being allowed to watch games live will have a positive impact for some fan's socially and mentally, I can't see it being that positive for clubs at our level - unless I'm missing something.
Season ticket holders have already bought the right to watch every home game this season, so they have to be given first priority, it's common sense, otherwise what was the point in buying one in the first place.

Season ticket holders have already bought the right to watch every home game this season, so they have to be given first priority, it's common sense, otherwise what was the point in buying one in the first place.
I agree. I'm just saying with the numbers involved and the lack of drink and food income (if that's still to be banned), allowing fans back in will cost the club money.

Yes I have been shielding since the start as I belong to the extremely clinically vulnerable group, and have been very careful, I haven’t been to pubs or supermarket, only trips have been drs, dentist and hospital, real rock and roll lifestyle, as yet I can see no information about suitable vaccine for blood cancer patients in remission, so that’s why I am reluctant to return, I renewed my season ticket this year as a act of support for the club, I only managed to get to 5 home games the previous season due to chemotherapy treatment
@Oxford57 I believe we can expect vaccine guidance in the next few days for those who previously shielded.

Come on it’s outside and in fresh air. Cheltenham in March didn’t cause an outbreak. People going to the beach didn’t cause an outbreak.

It’s people mingling in small enclosed spaces indoors without adequate hygiene and ventilation that spread it.

If they tell us to wear a mask once inside the ground or on way to seats that’s fine.

Cheltenham in March most assuredly did cause an outbreak...caused in part by staff on zero hours contracts being forced to come into work when showing symptoms.

Hull game for the trial then, followed by 2000 at the next league game. From that it seems like someone has tipped them off that Oxford will be in tier 2.

This isn't about generating new income (as much as they would want to). This is about honouring the income already received and supporting those who have supported the club.
Oh I agree and we (4 ST's here) will be extremely disappointed if we are not first in line -even if it's a ballot- for attending matches but I'm sure that somewhere in the commercial dept, something is being worked on with a view to selling some tickets to at least some nonST fans.

Whether any plan actually sees the light of day while attendances are restricted is another matter.....

Hull game for the trial then, followed by 2000 at the next league game. From that it seems like someone has tipped them off that Oxford will be in tier 2.
I would hope that govt are giving advance warning to businesses that bring in large numbers of people and I think they generally do. Even if not it's pretty obvious we'll be in T2. T1 will be the very low incidence areas like Norfolk and Cornwall, T3 for the high incidence northern cities, and T2 for everyone else.

I would hope that govt are giving advance warning to businesses that bring in large numbers of people and I think they generally do. Even if not it's pretty obvious we'll be in T2. T1 will be the very low incidence areas like Norfolk and Cornwall, T3 for the high incidence northern cities, and T2 for everyone else.
"I would hope that govt are giving advance warning to businesses that bring in large numbers of people and I think they generally do." - unfortunately not. They are being no more briefed than the rest of us (and until the last week or so parliament). The businesses I work with have subscriptions on the government covid web pages for the updated documents, and they go on there after the public announcement (or late night press briefing).

"I would hope that govt are giving advance warning to businesses that bring in large numbers of people and I think they generally do." - unfortunately not. They are being no more briefed than the rest of us (and until the last week or so parliament). The businesses I work with have subscriptions on the government covid web pages for the updated documents, and they go on there after the public announcement (or late night press briefing).
I don't know about this latest announcement, and I don't know about football, but I do know of some places in Oxford that had a certain amount of off-record briefing about likely immenent changes both for covid and one or two big issues as well.

Having said that govt increasingly gives the impression of making it up as they go along, so who knows?

Oxford is in tier 2 at the moment. But don't hold your breath, a lot more areas will go into tier 3 on December 2nd.
And then perhaps a few people in Oxford will regret having broken the “rules” over the last few months.

This is how Shrewsbury did it for a pilot game in September:

With a walkthrough video produced in the days before to enable attending supporters to understand what to expect:

Each to their own but the Ka££am can be a rather soul destroying day out at the best of times, let alone in Dec/Jan under what I assume will be fairly stringent social distancing measures. Apart from IFollow I can’t think of it being much less appealing! Even if I was offered one of the 1000/2000 seats I think I’d prefer to listen to it on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom