Getting the crowds back in

The government: You will not be allowed to make any income from your customers.

The clubs: Well then you will have to compensate us or we will all fold.

The government: Sorry, we don't give a s**t about football.

Pardon me?

The 80's had football violence, cages, declining crowds, Hysel, Hillsborough, Bradford, European ban. The 90's had Graham Taylor's England, PL, Sky sports. The turn of the century saw Oxford drop out of the league, be on the brink of going bust, awful football!

As a club, and as fans, we have come through this and face this new crisis in as strong a position as we've been for a generation or more.

I know that I'm slightly more positive than some, but the defeatist view on this is crazy. Football will not be canned, lower league football won't disappear, and PL b teams won't be in official leagues for years to come, if at all.

It's all the people "working for the clampdown" that want to kill football.

It's all the people "working for the clampdown" that want to kill football.
Why on earth would they want to do that? And who are you talking about?

The government? They make a lot of tax revenue from football.
Health officials? Why would they want to kill football?
Local politicians? If it ever came of that they had 'killed' their local team they'd be out on their ear.

Football is being sacrificed on the altar of political correctness.

• Love
Reactions: m
Enormous difference between football surviving and an awful lot of this season ending up in a can.

Time will tell, eh.
Oh. Look. What amazing timing ??‍♂️

The EFL is already preparing for football below the Championship to fail to complete the season. Once some sort of financial package is agreed so that the lower league clubs can bob along (whatever the source of that money is), they are going to be playing it by ear as they expect the next month or so to see an enormous surge in cases that see fixtures being called off left, right and centre.

If it looks like it’s out of control, they will focus on the Championship only, as it’s the only division the TV deals care about and it’s the one that links to the PL. L1 and L2 will be stopped and they’ll worry about what to do with that down the line. It just isn’t their priority.

Source: the same person who told me when the new season would start months ago, which I posted on here before the national media even got wind of the date. Even the clubs haven’t been told what’s what yet.

There's a huge difference between one game being called off for one positive player, and everything below the championship being canned in 6 weeks. For someone who demands accuracy in all things posted, I would expect much better than this kneejerking.

Football is being sacrificed on the altar of political correctness.
You do know what political correctness is? It’s not the same as health and safety? Or more specifically taking precautions against a disease that’s killed a million people this year?

There's a huge difference between one game being called off for one positive player, and everything below the championship being canned in 6 weeks. For someone who demands accuracy in all things posted, I would expect much better than this kneejerking.

He’s got a very good record on this. I also enjoy his posts.

Meanwhile, whether it’s a condition-strapped Premier League loan or a massive cheque from Rishi Sunak, you assume someone will see the PR value in saving the EFL for now. In the long run, though, the triumph of Dychonomics is more or less complete. The only way the game can emerge from this crisis intact is if everyone manages to put aside their self-interest and work together for the common good. Well, we generally know how that turns out.teams-go-under

The big clubs only want to play in the most attractive matches, against fellow glamour clubs. They don’t really care for fixtures – like inconvenient domestic cup replays or second legs – that don’t generate the same money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom