Getting the crowds back in

Chris Williams just announced on the Preview Show that the club will now get the full £10 fee over a certain number agreed by the away club. Based on whatever they believed would have been the away support. Hope that makes sense.

Chris Williams just announced on the Preview Show that the club will now get the full £10 fee over a certain number agreed by the away club. Based on whatever they believed would have been the away support. Hope that makes sense.
So iFollow get nothing?

Thinking about the absence of crowds - I do think it is affecting us - the players feed off the energy and drive that comes - particularly away from home.

But can you imagine being a Wycombe fan! Your club makes its first appearance in the Championship and you cannot be there for any of those fixtures (given latest Government announcement about fans) - against some big clubs that would have created a decent atmosphere - even for the allotment that is Wycombe’s ground!

Chances are they’ll be back in League 1 next year and the fans will have missed the whole thing.
Nearly feel sorry for them!!

And I have to think that we may have had a similarly sorry year. So maybe we dodged a bullet.......

Thinking about the absence of crowds - I do think it is affecting us - the players feed off the energy and drive that comes - particularly away from home.

But can you imagine being a Wycombe fan! Your club makes its first appearance in the Championship and you cannot be there for any of those fixtures (given latest Government announcement about fans) - against some big clubs that would have created a decent atmosphere - even for the allotment that is Wycombe’s ground!

Chances are they’ll be back in League 1 next year and the fans will have missed the whole thing.
Nearly feel sorry for them!!

And I have to think that we may have had a similarly sorry year. So maybe we dodged a bullet.......
I felt sorry for Wycombe for about a minute. Then I came to my senses and realised how much I hate them.
My pre season prediction was that they wouldn’t get 20 points. Looking good so far.

Have asked and volunteered my services to collect and put up flags before the next home game v Crewe and moving forward. Waiting for the club to get back to me.

Won’t make up for the lack of fans but at least it’ll make a bit of difference.

I tend to agree, I wonder if the Premier League might find a fund to assist the lower leagues instead.

The equivalent of a couple of transfer fees could be enough to tide over the 48 L1 and L2 clubs for a season. What strings that payment would come with however.........

well I never.

well I never.

On BT yesterday before the Brighton/Man Utd game, the presenter (can't remember his name) before the game, when speaking to the Brighton CEO about it, identified a "spare" £35m available as Fulham wouldn't get their parachute payment with getting promoted back to the PL.

Sign them to play against whom in that scenario?

I suspect the PL won't allow it to happen as it will be awful PR but what the terms will be I'm not sure. A BT presenter pointed out that Fulham's £35m parachute payment for this season is still going "spare" so the means may already be there for the PL.

I suspect the PL won't allow it to happen as it will be awful PR but what the terms will be I'm not sure.
If there’s a single crumb to come our way the terms will be horrific. There are 48 L1 and L2 clubs alone, without even considering the Championship and ultimately the National League below. They’re going to have to dig a hell of a lot deeper than £35m.

As the years roll by I think the Wycombe game will come to be seen as the real most important game in our history, not York. Oh, to have that cash. People can sneer at Wycombe all they like, but even if they come back down with 20 points all season their club will survive this climate comfortably.

If there’s a single crumb to come our way the terms will be horrific. There are 48 L1 and L2 clubs alone, without even considering the Championship and ultimately the National League below. They’re going to have to dig a hell of a lot deeper than £35m.

As the years roll by I think the Wycombe game will come to be seen as the real most important game in our history, not York. Oh, to have that cash. People can sneer at Wycombe all they like, but even if they come back down with 20 points all season their club will survive this climate comfortably.

Could possibly be, it is a wait and see.

A very good point that.

Dagenham and Redbridge owner said the NL and NL North & south need £20 million to support the 67 clubs in those divisions.

His letter can be viewed here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8Y3XpTAzqNyA9AIiFjydC0k7wG8kPEt/view

Not sure how he reached that figure, but as you say, £35 million isn’t going to be anywhere near sufficient.

Let’s be conservative and say the average ticket for an EFL game is £10. Average attendance of 8000 across the 3 leagues. 36 games a week, 46 weeks in the season...that would mean there is a £132,480,000 worth of lost revenue just in the EFL from having no fans attending games for a season.

I said at the time of the play-off that it was more than just a ‘normal’ playoff game - because of the money and the security it would provide. TBH I was thinking along the lines of whether league 1 and league 2 would get going this year - which clearly they have however at what cost to the clubs and for how long. Tiger is clearly funding us during this period with very little income from the club being generated I assume - but is this just further debt added to our books at whatever point he moves on. I fear we will look back at that game for a long long time - since you can see an ever growing divide between the top two divisions and who knows what clauses the premier league will attach to funds being handed over. They should provide funding because they care for the game and they would all be no-where without the pyramid, but I think we all know that won’t be the case and they will be looking to further protect themselves with any funding they offer.

Back
Top Bottom