General George Thorne

He looks the same to me as when he played against West Ham. He is a big lad and that is something we could do with at times.
Now I’m not sure how long he would have lasted against the Irons but we are now down to the bare bones as you say. I would play him and see how it goes I would also play Mourinho from the start, if it doesn’t work bring on Moore and move the Moose forward
When did we sign Mourinho. He's too old to be playing now and he was never very good!!?

He looks the same to me as when he played against West Ham. He is a big lad and that is something we could do with at times.
Now I’m not sure how long he would have lasted against the Irons but we are now down to the bare bones as you say. I would play him and see how it goes I would also play Mourinho from the start, if it doesn’t work bring on Moore and move the Moose forward
He’s a big man but he’s out of shape

As for the “I will trust the medical professionals” brigade, not everything is as black and white as you assume it is. There are plenty of shades of grey.

Of course there are shades of grey, that’s called life’s rich tapestry...

...but are you seriously suggesting that a load of non-medically trained fans fretting on an internet forum, who don’t work with and haven’t examined the players in question - are at least as good a bet to navigate those shades of grey than the club’s sports science department..?

Sorry but gotta suck it up...occasionally players will either injure or re-injure i.e. the dept will get it wrong - but until a crystal ball is part of standard issue medical kit, afraid examination and a bit of a punt is about the best we got.

Of course, we could reasonably give George Thorne progressively odd ten- and fifteen-minute spells and steadily increase his fitness, right up until he’s fit to help us with our promotion campaign...in around about mid-May..?

Again, if he never gets any minutes, how will he get match fit?
That’s not really our problem, to be honest. Or rather it shouldn’t be. In the situation we’re in we can’t afford to let people get fit at our expense, and there’s a big difference between being match fit and match sharp. Sharpness does indeed require games, that’s separate, but fitness comes from hard miles in the gym and on the grass. If he’s fit but a bit rusty, that’s one thing. If he’s physically out of shape, he shouldn’t get anywhere near the pitch. I feel for the guy and I personally believe his body has broken down and he will be officially retired inside a year - happy to be wrong, of course - but we don’t owe him or anybody else a platform to get themselves in shape while we battle to prevent the final embers of our season from dying out.

That’s not really our problem, to be honest. Or rather it shouldn’t be. In the situation we’re in we can’t afford to let people get fit at our expense, and there’s a big difference between being match fit and match sharp. Sharpness does indeed require games, that’s separate, but fitness comes from hard miles in the gym and on the grass. If he’s fit but a bit rusty, that’s one thing. If he’s physically out of shape, he shouldn’t get anywhere near the pitch. I feel for the guy and I personally believe his body has broken down and he will be officially retired inside a year - happy to be wrong, of course - but we don’t owe him or anybody else a platform to get themselves in shape while we battle to prevent the final embers of our season from dying out.

I get what you’re saying, but from what I saw today we were crying out for someone to pick the ball up deep in centre midfield, from the central defenders, and spray a few incisive, attacking passes around. Fair enough if he’s gone physically, but the fact that he’s on the bench suggests that he’s not... we shall see on Tuesday I guess.

I get what you’re saying, but from what I saw today we were crying out for someone to pick the ball up deep in centre midfield, from the central defenders, and spray a few incisive, attacking passes around. Fair enough if he’s gone physically, but the fact that he’s on the bench suggests that he’s not... we shall see on Tuesday I guess.

We played a completely different system today (3 in the back) which caused that player (normally Gorrin) not to be available to pick the ball up off of the defence and start the moves.

Personally, I think we should have started with the same line up (4-3-3), but play Mousinho in that defensive central midfield (DCM) role (Gorrin’s role if you like), especially as Ruffels is not a wing back and it was Forde’s first game for a good few weeks so he was never going to be bombing up and down the wing.

My only doubt with Mousinho in the DCM role is, he is a lot slower at moving the ball and goes into the mode of dicking around with it at times so risks losing the ball/momentum, but as manager you tell him to move the ball quick.

It wasn’t

That was to start the game, not come with the game already won.

Must say he still looked like one of Robinson’s mates from the pub who won the raffle draw to get a game of football with a professional team.

That was to start the game, not come with the game already won.

Must say he still looked like one of Robinson’s mates from the pub who won the raffle draw to get a game of football with a professional team.

Are you joking? He played passes at times which no-one else plays. Clearly got great vision and passes forwards which is nice

Are you joking? He played passes at times which no-one else plays. Clearly got great vision and passes forwards which is nice

You’re right in that every pass he played was accurate, forward and to feet and if he can get properly attuned to the tempo we play at then we clearly have a player who could wreak havoc in this league with his creativity. I think there are reservations about him and he doesn’t look properly fit to me, I’d be concerned if he was part of a midfield that was up against another high press, high tempo team. I think you’d have to play him very deep for him to have any real effect because right now, in his present condition, he’d be given the run around if he was in the engine room.

Last year, Kashi came in and was given 10 or 15 minutes to start, and there were lots on here calling him washed up, legs have gone, immobile etc.
It didn't take long for him to become an absolute lynchpin in the team...in fact IMHO the most visionary deep midfielder we've had for a long time.
No reason at all why Thorne can't be the same, let's hope he is.

We are lucky to have a squad that gives us many different option from different types of players.

Gorrin has been unbelievably for us this season. His energy and reading of the game is fantastic and that allows him to be in the right place at the right time to make it look very easy. His distribution is good, but often plays the simple short ball to others.

Thorne has not yet played with anywhere the same levels of energy or intensity, and I'm not sure that he's unfit but just a really big unit that plays a different type of game. His vision and accuracy of passing is unbelievable. I know he's barely played but his pass accuracy levels must be nearly 100% and he brings others into the game quickly as a result.

Kelly, on the other hand, appears to be a bit if a mix between the two. He goes looking for the ball and can put a tackle in and looks a busy little player, but his distribution hasn't been great and he has been guilty of a few sloppy passes. But his free kick and corners were very good so maybe more of a dead ball player.

Anyone of these players could be the lynchpin of our midfield, but all have their limitations. However, for what is often an overlooked position at our level, I think that we're incredibly lucky to have the options that we have.

Unless he’s genuinely fit he shouldn’t be getting proper time on the pitch. Just because he shares an agent with the manager and has been reduced to playing for free in order to keep himself as a professional footballer, shouldn’t mean the team has to accommodate him unless he’s truly ready to play some decent minutes. If he is or if he builds up to being, no problem at all. If he isn’t, he will need to keep putting in the miles on the training ground until he can compete at the appropriate level. The team shouldn’t be weakened in any way what so ever out of sentiment.

As for the “I will trust the medical professionals” brigade, not everything is as black and white as you assume it is. There are plenty of shades of grey.
What a crazy post.

Seems to be the last one we’re waiting on confirmation on now (apart from Rob Hall under a loophole) Can he play as a free agent? Will we give him a one month contract? Or will he just not be in the squad? Would probably struggle to get anywhere near the team anyway, but I still personally think if he was fit there could be a scenario where he could do a job for us spraying the ball around at the base of midfield, eg if we were a goal down but up against ten men and so the pressing of Gorrin wasn’t needed, but rather some incisive forward passing

Back
Top Bottom