General George Thorne

OM suggests that he left Derby by mutual agreement and we signed him afterwards. To me that says they paid him off rather than we paid anything for him.

According to KR, Thorne made this happen after approaching him so this would pretty confirm it for me.

If we can keep him fit, we have a quality player with something to prove so could be a great bit of business. It also gives him a chance to earn a contract for next season with us or somebody else.

Welcome back permanently George.

Last edited:
Shrewd thinking on this and we will definitely see him back playing for us soon. Looked like a real talent before that unfortunate freak injury.

I expect Hanson to be going on loan now free up some wages for that Right Back or Striker what’s needed, with other 3 DCM on our books aswell in Gorrin, Kelly, Thorne

A good bit of business, I hope he does well here for the rest of the season, signs an extended deal with us in the summer and then tears up the Championship with us next season ?

It does start to feel that there might be a centre midfielder leaving though, we seem to be getting a bit overloaded in that area - Brannigan, Henry, Hanson, Baptiste, Kelly, Thorne, Gorrin and Woodburn can also play there.

If he can get himself match fit, and stay fit, then we've got a great player for at least the rest of the season

Welcome George, good luck!

If he's stays fit he has the potential to be a really effective lynchpin for the team over the next few years.

How long will it take for him to get match fit?......Agyei has half the season and still not deemed to be good enough
Waste of time having him here

He went off and made it happen - given Derby's position they probably paid him off 50% the value of his contract, and we've taken him on at 50% his previous salary until the end of the season.

Derby get a player off their books for half price, Thorne gets 50% upfront lump-sum and we get an extremely low-risk, high-reward signing.

Great.

He went off and made it happen - given Derby's position they probably paid him off 50% the value of his contract, and we've taken him on at 50% his previous salary until the end of the season.

Derby get a player off their books for half price, Thorne gets 50% upfront lump-sum and we get an extremely low-risk, high-reward signing.

Great.

There’s no way we are paying him 50% of his previous wage at Derby we were paying next to nothing for him when we had him on loan trust me

Just guessing but I think we’ve done a pay as you play contract. I think Robbo may have done the same with Robbie Hall hence he was getting more games than fans expected.

A very good friend has been a Rams season ticket holder for 30+ years. His son was released by the club only a couple of years ago and has trained with Thorne. In their own words "when fit Thorne was first on the team sheet" "he and Mason Mount have been the best players at the club in the last decade" "a number of Prem clubs including Liverpool were sniffing around in 2016" " IF and a big IF you can get him fit, you've got one heck of a player" "not sure he will be kept fit as you can only have so much bad luck before questioning whether he's just generally prone to injuries, but if he is, Rams may look back to regret this"

Derby fan in peace. George was an utterly magnicent player when he was fit. He did his ACL in preseason just after we bought him, recovered well and then got a nasty leg break and has not the same player since. He looks like he know what he should be doing but can't do it as quickly as he wants. We all wish him the best and want him to be a great signing for you. There are suggestions he's taken a hit in the pocket to make this transfer happen, credit to him if thats true. You can check out what we say about him here. https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33081-george-thorne-joined-oxford-permanently/#comments you need to go to page 11 for the goodbyes.

Last edited:
Deal agreed earlier this week based on the iFollow interview - which keeps talking about "Tuesday's game". So he must have been one of the players listed as a trialist yesterday. Presumably whilst the paperwork for his release was tidied up at the Derby end.
Ah so he’s back and ready to play - my cup runneth over

Derby fan in peace. George was an utterly magnicent player when he was fit. He did his ACL in preseason just after we bought him, recovered well and then got a nasty leg break and has not the same player since. He looks like he know what he should be doing but can't do it as quickly as he wants. We all wish him the best and want him to be a great signing for you. There are suggestions he's taken a hit in the pocket to make this transfer happen, credit to him if thats true. You can check out what we say about him here. https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33081-george-thorne-joined-oxford-permanently/#comments you need to go to page 11 for the goodbyes.
Wow - that’s some send-off! Let’s hope he enjoys better times and we all benefit.

Derby up the creek financially obviously. Thorne’s had only about 30 minutes football this season so hope we get some sort of return. Not holding my breath sadly.

There’s no way we are paying him 50% of his previous wage at Derby we were paying next to nothing for him when we had him on loan trust me

Agreed.

Also 50% of what Derby are paying one of their top players (as Thorne was when they bought him) is probably roughly double what we're paying anyone!

I'd suspect it's more likely that he agreed with Derby a payoff of 50% of his remaining salary, we're paying him 5-10% of what he was on, and he's taking the hit for the rest because a) he likes it here and b) it's a good spot for him to rebuild his reputation and earn another Championship contact.

Reading the Derby forum and they have nothing but praise for him (Apart from one troll). They raved about his class, so fingers crossed that he can replicate it here.
Welcome George.

Thorne is, apparently, fit now ... albeit not 100% match fit? ... may be in the squad V Newcastle?

Back
Top Bottom