General George Thorne

Seems to be the last one we’re waiting on confirmation on now (apart from Rob Hall under a loophole) Can he play as a free agent? Will we give him a one month contract? Or will he just not be in the squad? Would probably struggle to get anywhere near the team anyway, but I still personally think if he was fit there could be a scenario where he could do a job for us spraying the ball around at the base of midfield, eg if we were a goal down but up against ten men and so the pressing of Gorrin wasn’t needed, but rather some incisive forward passing
If fit Thorne is quality but who would he replace?

Boss Karl Robinson has revealed what the club have known for some time privately – Thorne will not play in the play-off semi-final against Portsmouth.

The United head coach said: “Everyone’s fit except Thorney, but he’s not done much training anyway.

“He’s out of the play-offs, but we knew that ages ago.”

He added: “It was going to be too much too soon to be going back into this intense training.

“Certain players need a steadier build up to get to a certain level and we’ve had to push them with the short period we’ve got.”

That’s that then. I don’t really understand why - he was match fit when lockdown happened, so if he’d kept eating well and doing his own exercise at home then surely he could have rejoined training with everyone else?

Hopefully it’s a case of they’re just being extra careful with him for the sake of his future career rather than that he’s picked up an injury or didn’t bother looking after himself over lockdown.

Boss Karl Robinson has revealed what the club have known for some time privately – Thorne will not play in the play-off semi-final against Portsmouth.

The United head coach said: “Everyone’s fit except Thorney, but he’s not done much training anyway.

“He’s out of the play-offs, but we knew that ages ago.”

He added: “It was going to be too much too soon to be going back into this intense training.

“Certain players need a steadier build up to get to a certain level and we’ve had to push them with the short period we’ve got.”

Where are the quotes from?

Having just got himself fit again to be featured in the squad, a 3 month break without proper training will most likely have set him back again.

Shame I liked what I saw with Thorne when he did play, is this the end of his career with us? Or will he be managed after the play time ffs with a view to signing for us, or has he been spoken to about signing for someone else?

Not too bothered by this. Don't think he was fit when the season was suspended and not surprised that he's not fit now. Midfield is probably our strongest area of the pitch.

Can't say I'm too surprised, but I reckon there's a contractual reason behind this too, considering he signed on a deal for essentially nothing that I presumed expired on the 30th June? I think the club might weigh up their options before deciding whether to give him a new deal for next season.

Probably a wise decision really, given where his fitness was at before lockdown, he was never gonna return to training match fit.

We're well stocked in midfield anyway, and as talented a player as he clearly is, he's been way off match fit, and has now been sat around for months, only doing general fitness routines at home, so will be even further from match fit now.

The other players in the squad will find it a lot easier to get back to where they were before lockdown, as they were already in tip top condition, and with his injury problems, it's not worth putting him through an intensive training period, only to hardly use him for these 2 or 3 games anyway, as he'll never get up to speed in time, and could get injured trying.

It doesn't sound like he's injured again, so if thats the case, he's actually been injury free for a long time, and probably had a productive fitness program and a good refreshing rest during lockdown, which will benefit him greatly, and if he's gonna stand any chance of salvaging his career and playing regularly again next season, (hopefully for us) it's best he slowly builds his fitness up over time, gets himself strong and fit again, and plans for next season.

IF he can do that, then he's worth taking a punt on with a pay as you play deal for next season, as if he's fully fit, he'll be a great player to have in the squad.

IF he can do that, then he's worth taking a punt on with a pay as you play deal for next season, as if he's fully fit, he'll be a great player to have in the squad.

I can't see any club signing anyone on a pay as you play deal currently. Clubs in this unusual time are going to budget to save every last penny they can, and you can't make tight forecasts with a player on a PAYP deal. And I think in this financial climate, Thorne would probably want to look for a solid, regular income after being on next to nothing since January, even if that means accepting lower wages at a League One side next season.

I can't see any club signing anyone on a pay as you play deal currently. Clubs in this unusual time are going to budget to save every last penny they can, and you can't make tight forecasts with a player on a PAYP deal. And I think in this financial climate, Thorne would probably want to look for a solid, regular income after being on next to nothing since January, even if that means accepting lower wages at a League One side next season.
More likely he retires and gets a regular job

I really feel for the guy. You can see that, if fit, he‘s a magnificent midfielder. Great touch, vision and oozes class. He’s unfortunately one of those players who’s physical make-up doesn’t seem to match his ability, either that or he’s just really unfortunate with all the injuries he’s sustained. I’m not sure we can write him off just yet though. Robinson seems to be saying the tight timescale of these play-offs mean he just wasnt going to get up to speed in time. Once the dust has settled on this surreal and slightly frantic episode, the club will have some time to take stock on things, including Thorne’s situation. If his future ultimately isnt with us however, I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Back
Top Bottom