Sport Geoffrey Boycott knighted

Sarge

God like member
Arguably Englands best test batsman Geoff Boycott is to get a Knighthood, along with the same honour bestowed on Andrew Strauss

Both knighthoods are for services to cricket

Controversy raging from some re Boycotts knighthood , due to a 20 year old allegation -which Boycott has always denied- of domestic abuse

I also find the Agnew/Boycott 'banter' incredibly childish and rather toe-curling!

Strictly on a 'services to cricket' basis, fair enough, although his attitude in the past to female contributors on Test Match Special were often of the 'I'll have two sugars in my tea luv' variety.

Personally, I can't stand listening to his 'I'm from Yorkshire, I say what I like and like what I bloody well say' style of humourless, dull commentary and punditry.
Prime example of his application to plain yorkshire speaking was a bbc radio 4 interview earlier today- Boycott did a typical Boycott 'plain speaking' (!) Response to the female interviewer. Which shocked the pc brigade!

Cant find the link to share

Prime example of his application to plain yorkshire speaking was a bbc radio 4 interview earlier today- Boycott did a typical Boycott 'plain speaking' (!) Response to the female interviewer. Which shocked the pc brigade!

Cant find the link to share
Still cant find the actual interview link, but heres a link to a bbc report that touches on said interview in the overall piece .....

I heard the interview when it was broadcast. It was a bit odd, initially a bit of something and nothing about him getting a knighthood then the presenter started on this 20 year old conviction (not allegation) for domestic abuse in a French court. Which he then denied doing, went on about blackmail and a million pounds and Brexit which he supports because you've guilty unless proven innocent in French courts - I think, it all got a bit confused/confusing - before then saying he didn't want to talk about anything other than the knighthood (having just done so!). I think the latter part was because someone had said with his conviction he shouldn't be knighted.
I haven't got much time for him really, and wouldn't miss the repetitive miserable old b****r if he didn't do TMS any more.

If he'd been a polite southern gentleman he would have been knighted decades ago; during which period he's been known as Sir Geoffrey Boycott where it matters: the North.

I did laugh that a number of Maybot's political advisors (including the 2 who did her GE campaign so successfully as well as a couple of her Brexit advisors) were on the list, nice to know the tradition of rewarding failure has continued.

Great character, great batsman, great summariser.
People with a lot spottier records have got knighthoods. Move on.

As for Hill and Timothy didn’t know the Maybot had a sense of humour...

It was a conviction, not allegation. Although he has a point when he says it’s hard to defend yourself in a foreign court when you don’t understand the language.

I always liked his commentary - grew up listening to him. Also enjoy Agnew. Hate some of the new ones like Vaughn. Whereas my gran hated Boycott. Everyone’s got a preference I suppose

The Boycott appearances on TMS for this next Test are going to be cringe-making...lots of crap about "should we stand up when you enter the commentary box, SIR Geoffery..." etc etc ad nauseam.
I find the bit about not understanding French (when he was convicted of holding his female partner down and hitting her 20 times) unbelievably thin. On such a serious charge I'm sure he had a French solicitor.
Boycott's record as a batsman speaks for itself, but when he pontificates about facing fast bowling it's often forgotten that he exiled himself from Test cricket from 1974-77 when Lillee, Thomson, Roberts and Holding were at their peak.

Boycott's record as a batsman speaks for itself, but when he pontificates about facing fast bowling it's often forgotten that he exiled himself from Test cricket from 1974-77 when Lillee, Thomson, Roberts and Holding were at their peak.
I am not sure that anybody can be particularly critical of Boycott playing?
He played against plenty of serious fast bowlers in an era of no helmets.

and usually took 'forever' to start notching up runs, wearing several bowlers down in the process

arguably one of the best MCC/England test batsmen. ever

So it all seems a bit odd to me - even ignoring the fact that Boycott is a convicted domestic abuser.

Boycott and Strauss are, respectively, 6th and 11th on England's list of all-time run scorers.

Cook is #1, obviously, by a mile and got knighted last year.
But none of the others in the top 10 have Ks (Colin Cowdrey has a CBE; Athers, Gooch, Gower & Stewart have OBEs; KP and Bell have MBEs; and poor old Wally Hammond doesn't appear to have received anything).

Strauss obviously has had a number of successful leadership and administrative roles, plus he's done some stirling charity work in the last couple of years with the Ruth Strauss Foundation, but it still seems a bit random to honour him ahead of all the others on that list.

Boycott was of course famously completely self-centered, never held a position of authority in the England cricket team, made himself unavailable to play for England for four years in the middle of his prime, and then ended his career by helping to organize a rebel tour of apartheid-era South Africa.
Strikes me he's just been rewarded for keeping himself in the public eye for the last forty years......

All very arbitrary.

So it all seems a bit odd to me - even ignoring the fact that Boycott is a convicted domestic abuser.

Boycott and Strauss are, respectively, 6th and 11th on England's list of all-time run scorers.

Cook is #1, obviously, by a mile and got knighted last year.
But none of the others in the top 10 have Ks (Colin Cowdrey has a CBE; Athers, Gooch, Gower & Stewart have OBEs; KP and Bell have MBEs; and poor old Wally Hammond doesn't appear to have received anything).

Strauss obviously has had a number of successful leadership and administrative roles, plus he's done some stirling charity work in the last couple of years with the Ruth Strauss Foundation, but it still seems a bit random to honour him ahead of all the others on that list.

Boycott was of course famously completely self-centered, never held a position of authority in the England cricket team, made himself unavailable to play for England for four years in the middle of his prime, and then ended his career by helping to organize a rebel tour of apartheid-era South Africa.
Strikes me he's just been rewarded for keeping himself in the public eye for the last forty years......

All very arbitrary.
Theresa May selected both cricketers as she is a cricket fan.

Boycott's knighthood is, I believe, for services to Cricket (and broadcasting)

Strauss being knighted for services to cricket

re all time England (or MCC) run scorers ... is that list purely for test cricket? .... or does it include shortened forms of cricket as in T20 & 50 over ODIs? the latter being included would Idve thought slant things heavily towards those cricketers who have played all forms not 'just' test cricket?

re all time England (or MCC) run scorers ... is that list purely for test cricket? .... or does it include shortened forms of cricket as in T20 & 50 over ODIs? the latter being included would Idve thought slant things heavily towards those cricketers who have played all forms not 'just' test cricket?

Just Test cricket. The only one that really matters!

Surprising as it seems, Kevin Pietersen did actually score more Test runs, in fewer matches, than Geoff Boycott.

Surprising as it seems, Kevin Pietersen did actually score more Test runs, in fewer matches, than Geoff Boycott.
Cheers for info & link @tonyw

argree, test cricket the only form that really matters

latest re Boycott

Labour apparently demanding the knighthood (for Boycott) is withdrawn

Boycott - on the news- vehemently claiming his innocence ( re his French conviction), as he always has done

Hasn’t he just got it because Theresa May likes him - isn’t that how a lot of these things work? It’s whether the person or people choosing like you, rather than on pure merit.

Boycott was a good batsmen and could stay in, but I don’t think there’s an argument that KP was a better/more skilled player is there?!

And Cook is England’s best ever for me.

Yes, he played against the top fast bowlers, but that self-imposed exile for 3 consecutive years rankled a lot at the time. His qualities would have been useful against those guys, who really were in their prime.
The other main charge against him as a batsman was selfishness (getting colleagues run out by standing his ground and playing so slowly that he put pressure on others to achieve run targets).
The reason for his self-imposed exile seems to have been disputes and unpopularity with fellow professionals.

Yeah, but Boycott occupied the crease for much longer...

Back
Top Bottom