General General Feeling

uptheus

Follow on from Karl’s comments after Saturday’s game about the accolades the club has achieved this season so far e.g. getting to the quarter finals of the League Cup, 5 round draw of the FA Cup, beating West Ham 4-0, drawing with Newcastle away and doing well in the league.

Despite all this, I still don’t feel the belief and togetherness we had during the League 2 promotional season e.g. Austria tour, beating Swansea getting promotion, so wondered why not?

Follow on from Karl’s comments after Saturday’s game about the accolades the club has achieved this season so far e.g. getting to the quarter finals of the League Cup, 5 round draw of the FA Cup, beating West Ham 4-0, drawing with Newcastle away and doing well in the league.

Despite all this, I still don’t feel the belief and togetherness we had during the League 2 promotional season e.g. Austria tour, beating Swansea getting promotion, so wondered why not?
Heightened sense of expectation maybe? We were well and truly the underdogs then and we are showing much greater promise than we did, at any point that season.

We as a club have mainly had seasons like this, especially as we have only been promoted 6 times in our whole history since joining the football league 60 odd years ago and one of those promotions was to get our rightful position back into the EFL....
Cup runs over the years have brought so many memories home and away and will stick with us forever and keep this club going with not just the optimism of beating a higher league team but the finances the go with it.
To be fair this season didn’t start to well in terms of above average attendances at the Kassam yet steadily they have grown game by game and although I do agree that the togetherness may not be at the same level under the reign of Micheal Appleton but it is certainly getting there and we could be in for one hell of ride certainly with the home games we still have to play with such visitors to the Kassam as Newcastle, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Bolton and our friends from Bristol.

The OP hits on a Good point.
I agree. We are doing really well but there is something missing. Not that the support up at Newcastle was anything other than superb.
I think that the whole ultras affair took its toll on the home fans and while we still seem to have that feel at some away games, at home, it blows hot and cold.
Pep Clotet and the early part of Karl’s tenure didn’t help matters as the frustrations set in.
To be fair to Robinson, he has recruited brilliantly and has turned us into a threat once again.
Things I hope, will improve if the results keep coming though. We have a group of very talented players assembled here and despite our moans and groans, we do have a wealth of class players already in the building. I still believe that we have a way to go before we match the excitement generated by the Appleton years and yet, we are perhaps even more entertaining now than then.
Let’s see how we go towards the climax of the season.

I would say it’s a more of a (hopefully temporary) blip at present. We haven’t been playing with the zip and intensity in recent weeks as we were prior to Christmas. Goals at present are precious things and we really have to work to get them. The Lincoln games are a prime example - early season saw us cruising and a 6-0 victory was on the outcome. At home over Christmas was a much harder affair and the game was split only by a thunderbolt from Baptiste.

We’re still battling on two fronts - the league and the lucrative FA Cup. I’d always take that as a League 1 side in the last week of January.

Despite the nonsense that has occurred at the bottom of the division this season, League 1 is still highly competitive. Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Rotherham should all really be finishing above us if budget and stature are considered but we’re holding our own. Find that additional gear again and put together a good run in March and April and let’s see where we end up. I’d take the dodgy run now than those tiresome seasons under Wilder where we’d fade away and be clinging onto the last playoff place despite form deserting us.

For me, the elephant in the room is, and will remain the ownership of the stadium by Kassam. I’m loving what’s happening with the team this season, but over everything is the consummate greed of the stadium owner.

This week is key as to how i feel to be honest. If we strengthen and give ourselves a fighting chance in a tight division im sure enthusiasm would come back. If we dont, i suspect people will see as a wasted opportunity and be "meh".

This week is key as to how i feel to be honest. If we strengthen and give ourselves a fighting chance in a tight division im sure enthusiasm would come back. If we dont, i suspect people will see as a wasted opportunity and be "meh".
Do we honestly NEED anyone else right now? Look at the players returnin from injury. We will be at full strength within a couple of weeks.

Do we honestly NEED anyone else right now? Look at the players returnin from injury. We will be at full strength within a couple of weeks.
We could do without a left or right back. But IMO we really DO need a striker, especially if Taylor is (for some reason I don't understand) unable to start every game and play 90 minutes. Mackie's hassling the defence is useful and occasionally entertaining but not enough to actually win games and Agyei seems not to be considered good enough. If course, the chances of picking up (or being able to afford) a top, fit, L1 quality striker in January who is banging in the goals are very slim indeed.

I think expectations are that much higher now than they were when Mapp arrived. We have lost the ‘underdog’ tag a little, so a fantastic result at Newcastle is almost a given, even when we’re two leagues lower, which is credit to the management. The stadium issue has always been with us; it’s what happens on the pitch which dictates mood/atmosphere.

What do you make of our January so far?

If at the start we would have been told we are signing Browne, Kelly, Holland, Thorne and Atkinson...whilst (as yet!) selling no one, I think I would have been well happy with that!

There's just one main problem and that's it - goalscorer. Find that and we'll get automatic promotion. We have tired players, but we have a huge choice of quality midfielders who create numerous chances for us each match.
Unfortunately that striker we need is proving elusive.

What do you make of our January so far?

If at the start we would have been told we are signing Browne, Kelly, Holland, Thorne and Atkinson...whilst (as yet!) selling no one, I think I would have been well happy with that!
Decent. And for very little outlay i suspect. Very surprised we are in the last week without fullback or striker cover though.

And i guess the time to judge our business will be in May. We'll never have a better opportunity to exit this league.

It's all too easy to have a good moan through social media, or look at the negatives and I think that can sometimes dampen excitement. Even in the couple of posts above this, we have the January transfer window being described as "meh" despite bringing in players like Browne, Kelly and Holland.

We currently have a team of fantastic individuals, who love playing together. The standard of some of our football this season has been beyond anything we've seen in a generation. Players like Dickie, Brannaghan and Baptiste were rightly getting the headlines and we were braced for multi-million pound bids. But then we add in Taylor, Fosu and Henry who will all go well into double figures for the season, Gorrin who is sensational, Mous who is a true leader on and off the pitch, Eastwood coming right back into form, Ruffels and Long who give 100% every game, and then the likes of Sykes, Moore, Forde (before the injury) who are quality squad players as a minimum. Holland, Browne, Ageyi and Kelly also have far more to offer, along with Woodburn and Thorne to come back in.

If that isn't enough to excite you, then we also have a manager who really gets this club and cares for everything and everyone connected to it. On a personal note, my daughter and her friend had a stadium tour before the Wycombe game. 20 mins before kick off, Karl was sat in the dug out talking to them about Christmas, school and football. He gave them more time than he did the match sponsors and others he was talking to before. He went to Wombles funeral and spoke about the legend he created as a fan and so much more. He understands our history and uses that to help build a new history. For all his screaming and shouting on the touchline, we have a manager who is creating something very special throughout this club.

And then finally the board. The criticism that we're not spending money during this window is ridiculous. We have seen more investment in the club on and off the pitch in the last 12 months than at any time in our history. The money is there, but it's being used wisely. We may not see a Will Grigg style panic buy, but then we know how that worked out! Our recruitment team from top to bottom are as good as you will find in league 1, and I have confidence that whoever comes in during this week will strengthen this squad and help push us towards promotion.

A year ago we were happy if the bills were paid each month. Now we right in the mix for playoffs or better, about to face our 3rd PL team at home and with average attendance figures heading for an increase of 1000+ on last season. We've still got some massive games at home, starting saturday against Blackpool. But then Newcastle, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Bolton. We should be looking at virtual sell outs for most of these games and going up in style.

Let's drop the negative shite, focus on the positives and make this season the success that we all deserve. This is our time and one day we will look back and realise just how special this time was.

Last edited:
Decent. And for very little outlay i suspect. Very surprised we are in the last week without fullback or striker cover though.

And i guess the time to judge our business will be in May. We'll never have a better opportunity to exit this league.

I would put a RB as a ‘nice to have’...Long is largely *fine* but offers something very different Cadden. A striker would be good, but everyone is fishing in the same pond wanting to add goals this month.

Back
Top Bottom