Gavin Whyte

We signed Whyte for what ,? 100,000..a year later 2 million offered . We are massively in debt
The point is, is £2m the right amount for a young full international that say was at championship team & premiership team come calling, surly it would a cheeky £5m+ bid to even open the door!! £2m isn’t even close to his true value!!

If the club sign young players on the proviso of we'll play you and not stand in your way when you may want to leave, this happens. The lad will understandably want to play at as high a level as soon as possible and if the club wants to continue the philosophy and get the next Whyte in, transfers like this will be the norm rather than the exception.

I don't want Whyte to leave but such is life. I think some fans are being naive thinking we can stop this or that there is some wider conspiracy. This is the reality of football nowadays. Agents and players are always on the look out for the next move, just some are more aggressive about it than others.

But this model is not helping OUFC starting from scratch every season, I thought we were meant to be progressing, don’t make me laugh

So the best we can hope for is that our recruitment team can, in the next week, pull off what they have failed to do in the last 8-20 weeks (if you count what they should have been doing before the window opened) and at least double the number of first team players they have managed to bring in over the course of the summer.

Christ...you would have to be some optimist.

Why the hell are they still in a job, who are they? They identify targets way above our threshold, seem to have no back ups, kr is still travelling Europe a week before the season starts.
They are about as successful as Michael Barrymore's spin doctors.

KR looked an absolute mess in that interview. Not quite a broken man but I would guess that the writing is in the wall. He's failed to recruit and now the board have sanctioned the sale of his star talent.
I'm amazed that Chris Williams thought it a good idea to even broadcast that video unless, he wanted us to see that pause when he asked the killer question? If you haven't done so, watch it now and look for the tell tale signs. Eye contact, body language, his general unkempt appearance, there is a man on the edge.

Well it’s got to be £4m then as that was the golden number. Or £2m plus a player?? Surely if Tiger & KR are at the negotiating table they will be asking the question if any players could be involved in the deal??

Lets hope they aren't allowed anywhere near the Brexit negotiations, with you know who handling the spin.

Wake up, we are millions in debt , dont own our 3 sided dump, yet for whatever reason expect us to be challenging for the top spots as if its our right.
After the years in the conference (and the few before that), having got back into the league and up a division, I for one don't expect us to be challenging for the top of L1 anytime soon. We don't have the money, are hamstrung by the landlord (and the deal signed by past OUFC officials that lets him do it) and don't have the crowds.
What I do expect as a supporter is that whoever buys the club runs it in as responsible and competent a way as they can for as long as they can before (as they always do!) getting bored/broke/divorced and selling it on to someone else who has a go. I want a team that is at least competitive - at the moment (for all the 'Mackie will be fine up front on his own','Gavin can play up front', 'Mous is suddenly better at CB than he was last season' posts) we don't have a competitive first team nor a deep enough squad to cope with any sort of injury, fatigue, loss of form or suspension, and quite possibly if we don't have any of those as well! Like everyone else (whether starry-eyed positive or downright miserable) I REALLY hope that changes a hell of a lot over the next four weeks (preferably in the next 8 days!) - but it's getting hard to believe it will when we seem to be getting rid of the better players, retaining those the manager had already written off and not getting anyone in.
Oh and while we are on about what we expect, I expect a chairman who is as straight with the supporters as he/she can be.

If the club sign young players on the proviso of we'll play you and not stand in your way when you may want to leave, this happens. The lad will understandably want to play at as high a level as soon as possible and if the club wants to continue the philosophy and get the next Whyte in, transfers like this will be the norm rather than the exception.

I don't want Whyte to leave but such is life. I think some fans are being naive thinking we can stop this or that there is some wider conspiracy. This is the reality of football nowadays. Agents and players are always on the look out for the next move, just some are more aggressive about it than others.

It's got as much to do with why we haven't already replaced him or others that have left, and look like we have no intention to, as much about being naïve thinking we can stop this happening.

Maybe we all need to calm down, this is only rumours atm, besides he’s still under contract - nothing officially or am I missing something?

Sure, but if you look at some of the deals we've done in recent years, we have a knack for getting young players in from a variety of sources and selling them on. While the club has some transfer deficiencies, we don't have an issue identifying young talent.

Nico Jones is a prime example of some of the more subtle deals we've done that could be a biggie. Whyte was a far more polished player when he arrived, I suppose.

Whyte is streets and streets ahead of Jones who, having showed in the friendlies is a long way from being ready for the first team squad.

I’m sure that any sensible fan understands that we can’t stand in the way of players. The owners and coaching staff’s job is to ensure that we are prepared for that eventuality and gain the going rate for OUR players. Only when those things have been secured should they go . They are failing in that and badly so.
As I've posted a couple of times, the transfer market is not like a supermarket where you can buy players as and when you want them. While Whyte going is a big issue with the lack of depth, when players want to move nowadays, it's hard to stop them unless you are Man U. A club like Oxford stands no chance.

I sincerely wish we had a settled team and an easy replacement for him, but we don't and it's not for the want of trying. The club have a lot of work to do, and I am sure KR is annoyed at the how the market has changed so quickly this summer.

But this model is not helping OUFC starting from scratch every season, I thought we were meant to be progressing, don’t make me laugh
If we don't have the model, I suspect we'd be a club like Swindon, stuck in mid table L2 with a retread manager and no hope of promotion. Kinda have to pick the poison we want to drink don't we?

Back
Top Bottom