Gavin Whyte

Yellows1

We as a club should sit him down, give him another year on his contract and a pay rise, we need to look after our best players - And KEEP them AKA Nelson, let’s hope we have learnt our lesson, same can be said for Dickie and Branagan amongst others.

I'm not sure there is a lesson to learn from the Nelson situation. The club was fully aware of the need to get him to sign a new contract, but he turned the offers down.
I know it looks likely he's off but maybe well hopefully the board now on board so to speak can make him an offer of which he would seriously look at and consider.

I know it looks likely he's off but maybe well hopefully the board now on board so to speak can make him an offer of which he would seriously look at and consider.
With the reduced playing budget...?

Things change quickly in football including budgets.

As Scotch said, we've saved massively on Holmes and Carruthers (who were both on staggering weekly wages - a la Roofey speculation :D), so without replacing them two - you'd already be well under the budget afforded this season. It's not a big issue.

We will probably see the likes of Shearer, McMahon, Jonte Smith, Nelson, Raglan, maybe Keheller and Obika go. We've sent Kashi, Graham and Samir off home. Question marks over Napa and Hall and James Henry for me.

That's an awful awful lot of money saved yet we've kept the nucleus of our key players together. Blimey half that lot were not even near the first team.

Karl has a s**t load of money to spend and I doubt many people will argue with the speculative opinion above.

Nelson will want to move on, just as you might move to a better job. We can’t offer him 10k a week and home crowds of 20,000

With the reduced playing budget...?
One assumes the overall budget will be less without the extras of this season but no-one at this stage has suggested in real terms that would be the case..being more judicious with Prem/Champ loans not withstanding.

I'm not sure there is a lesson to learn from the Nelson situation. The club was fully aware of the need to get him to sign a new contract, but he turned the offers down.

When did they first offer him a new contract? How much was it? Are you saying at no point in his time here, perhaps a year after joining, would he have signed say an extra 1 or 2 year extension, for the money we spent on, say, Pelaski or Jamie Hanson?

Things change quickly in football including budgets.

As Scotch said, we've saved massively on Holmes and Carruthers (who were both on staggering weekly wages - a la Roofey speculation :D), so without replacing them two - you'd already be well under the budget afforded this season. It's not a big issue.

We will probably see the likes of Shearer, McMahon, Jonte Smith, Nelson, Raglan, maybe Keheller and Obika go. We've sent Kashi, Graham and Samir off home. Question marks over Napa and Hall and James Henry for me.

That's an awful awful lot of money saved yet we've kept the nucleus of our key players together. Blimey half that lot were not even near the first team.

Karl has a s**t load of money to spend and I doubt many people will argue with the speculative opinion above.
In that case, I eagerly await our signing of a proven 20 goals a season striker (not the North Leigh lad).

When did they first offer him a new contract? How much was it? Are you saying at no point in his time here, perhaps a year after joining, would he have signed say an extra 1 or 2 year extension, for the money we spent on, say, Pelaski or Jamie Hanson?
How do you know we didn't try very hard and offered what we could?
From all that I gave read Nelson is very highly thought of. Tiger and DE would be fully aware of the value if Nelson with a contract.
His injury probably screwed up getting a very good price for him last summer.
I suspect that Nelson would only have considered staying had we gone up.

What @Foley said.

Gavin Whyte won’t play against QPR because he’s been given an extra week off due to his exertions for NI - er, that happened at the tmstart of ore-season, right? Hasn’t he already played minutes against in other friendlies?

Hmmm, that doesn’t make sense. Either he’s injured or all is not well.

Gavin Whyte won’t play against QPR because he’s been given an extra week off due to his exertions for NI - er, that happened at the tmstart of ore-season, right? Hasn’t he already played minutes against in other friendlies?

Hmmm, that doesn’t make sense. Either he’s injured or all is not well.
cue 10 pages of mass panic, speculation and wild rumours until tuesday friendly and he’s on the team sheet.
personally don’t think there’s anything to read into this but if he were to go it would be for a huge sum and we may already have found a replacement (see i’ve started the speculation already)

cue 10 pages of mass panic, speculation and wild rumours until tuesday friendly and he’s on the team sheet.
personally don’t think there’s anything to read into this but if he were to go it would be for a huge sum and we may already have found a replacement (see i’ve started the speculation already)
Are you ITK? source? Did @ECYellow tell you? Oh GOD!!!! ;)

It looks like the club are concerned about his hamstrings, so are ensuring he has the appropriate rest time. Back in training on Monday, same as Rob Hall.

I think he’s quality. We’ll be lucky to hang on to him. Maybe his absence today was genuine but wouldn’t be surprised if he is going. Bloody hope not

Back
Top Bottom