Gavin Whyte

Very sorry to see Gavin leave and I wish him all the very best for the future. Summed up for me by these words from KR, “"How can you stand in the way of a young man that’s going to get a contract that’s probably six times more than Oxford United pay?”

Players come players go, it’s been like that in the 40+ years I have followed OUFC. I was really gutted when John Aldridge and Ray Houghton left, but we survived. Let’s move on, I personally think its good business for the club given another season with us his contract would be down to one year. So would his value have doubled or halved by this time next season?
Agree. Going back Mick Tait and Hugh Curran Dave Roberts and Les Taylor.
And it will always happen.
Agree with KR. Whyte improved significantly at oufc. A wonderful player to watch.
Good luck Gavin. I reckon a better player than COD and will be in PL soon.

Agree with KR. Whyte improved significantly at oufc. A wonderful player to watch.
Hugh Curran my hero. That one really hurt?
Curran left Wolves in September 1972, joining second-flight Oxford United for £50,000. Despite being their leading scorer in both the 1972/73 and 1973/74 campaigns — with 17 and 14 goals respectively — he departed the Manor Ground in September 1974, joining Bolton Wanderers for £40,000.

I hope he storms the championship and gets a massive transfer to the Prem. 20% will come in handy. But Cardiff screw up.
Did Cardiff pay the transfer fee for Emiliano Sala?

I wish I could be as optimistic as some on here for what I can only see as a terrible bit of business. During this window, Cardiff, a team who’ve just been in the premier league, and have 3 years or parachute payments to help their cause (assuming this is still a thing - sorry if not as I no longer pay much attention to that league), have just acquired our two best players for a fraction of their combined value, a P**s take given the money at their disposal. Neil Warnock is their manager, yes he has certain qualities, but promoting proper football or player development are not in his remit. As much as I rate Gavin, I think this is a bad move for him, and for us any % from future sales won’t be as much as it could be if we’d have waited a bit longer/sold him to a better club or one with a more progressive manager.

I feel sorry for Karl and really wouldn’t have blamed him for walking after this cherry which has topped a truly s**t post season. Any enthusiasm for the season ahead has now gone and I’d honestly take staying up if was offered now.

It's very hard to say how good/bad the team will be isn't it? We've just loaned in the young lad from Liverpool - who may be a Gavin Whyte or who might turn out to be a Sam Smith, we just don't know. And then there are the two players signing tomorrow, supposedly. I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of players in Leicesters reserves etc so again, who knows? Plus we don't know who well/quickly Baptiste and Hall will have recovered. Potentially we could have three excellent new players and two excellent players becoming fit again. Or we could have three players who have failed elsewhere and will fail here and have two crocks who will be lucky to get into a lively jog. And that is five players (half of the outfield players in a team!), some of whom we haven't seen at all playing for us, a couple who have had minimal/no time in PSFs for us.

It'll end up being somewhere in between the two, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we have some more loanees in before 2nd September - we only have two at the moment, we are bound to have five of them. It DOES worry me that these players are coming in so late that they will barely recognise their team mates, never mind have much idea what they are likely to do in any situation on the pitch.

That being the case, I think we might have a bit of a rocky start but we need to give them time to settle in. (Interestingly Woodburn is listed on the OWS as a 'midfielder' - another one! - rather than a striker).

Got to say I’m gutted to see Gavin Whyte go, gutted ? the one player I was most looking forward to seeing play this season, that level of pure, raw pace and direct running can shake up any defence and make boring games exiting. Wish we hadn’t sold him. Oh well hopefully we can have a good season regardless, a few wins will have me forgetting him I’m sure...

I wish I could be as optimistic as some on here for what I can only see as a terrible bit of business. During this window, Cardiff, a team who’ve just been in the premier league, and have 3 years or parachute payments to help their cause (assuming this is still a thing - sorry if not as I no longer pay much attention to that league), have just acquired our two best players for a fraction of their combined value, a P**s take given the money at their disposal. Neil Warnock is their manager, yes he has certain qualities, but promoting proper football or player development are not in his remit. As much as I rate Gavin, I think this is a bad move for him, and for us any % from future sales won’t be as much as it could be if we’d have waited a bit longer/sold him to a better club or one with a more progressive manager.

I feel sorry for Karl and really wouldn’t have blamed him for walking after this cherry which has topped a truly s**t post season. Any enthusiasm for the season ahead has now gone and I’d honestly take staying up if was offered now.

Call them what you want and their manger likewise, personally I call it good business and a very sustainable way to run a football club. Many other could and should take note.

As for KR, yes yes fighting against the tide but let’s not forget who gave him the opportunity and also it’s him who more than happy to play mum to all at OUFC!

Interesting comments from Lee Johnson about Adam Webster’s potential move to Brighton: “The burning dilemma I have is how can you stop somebody from moving for six times their wages, with a promotion in rank,” he said.

Scarily similar to KR’s comments about Gav. We are not the only club in the position of losing our best players to clubs closer to top table. Nor are we the only club with a defined wage structure we’re unwilling to break. Bristol City fans (I say as a Bristol exile) are certain they’ll be in the promotion mix yet they’re losing their best player days before the start of the season, just like us.

Interesting comments from Lee Johnson about Adam Webster’s potential move to Brighton: “The burning dilemma I have is how can you stop somebody from moving for six times their wages, with a promotion in rank,” he said.

Scarily similar to KR’s comments about Gav. We are not the only club in the position of losing our best players to clubs closer to top table. Nor are we the only club with a defined wage structure we’re unwilling to break. Bristol City fans (I say as a Bristol exile) are certain they’ll be in the promotion mix yet they’re losing their best player days before the start of the season, just like us.
Yes but they are bagging 20 million for him!

Interesting point about Colin, which I hadn’t considered and is very true. As well as a sell on clause I would hope we've included a promotion clause, as Cardiff to my eyes looked nailed on for bouncing back to the Prem. The core of their squad is essentially the same as that promoted two years ago, which now has the added benefit of championship experience.

Back
Top Bottom