Gavin Whyte

Given he's 22 perhaps intended for u23 ....and a first team squad player?

Welcome aboard Gavin

I think you’ve got yourselves a great signing, and I think he will be a first team player rather than a squad player.

Crusaders are a Catholic bunch. I’m sure @Ox4Eva will be welcoming him.

Interesting signing. Could be anything at this stage. League 1 will be a hell of a step up though. Hoban didn’t manage it in League 2 so he’ll have to adapt quickly.

No they are not, get your facts right!

Not that I care..

David Sloan wasn't a bad player?

I imagine m'learned Mr Ghost is going for purchased directly from the Irish leagues as opposed to being Northern Irish itself.
Otherwise we could have Jimmy Magic in there, among others.

Wee Davey never played outside England. We signed him from somewhere up North, not from NI.
He was from bangor ni....played for Scunthorpe, OUFC and Walsall....played for the U's between 67 and 73 I think.....decent winger and, if memory serves,scored the winner in a rare (in those days) win over scum .....it mayve been in the league cup when they (scum) were league cup holders?

I imagine m'learned Mr Ghost is going for purchased directly from the Irish leagues as opposed to being Northern Irish itself.
Otherwise we could have Jimmy Magic in there, among others.
Ah get it!

He was from bangor ni....played for Scunthorpe, OUFC and Walsall....played for the U's between 67 and 73 I think.....decent winger and, if memory serves,scored the winner in a rare (in those days) win over scum .....it mayve been in the league cup when they (scum) were league cup holders?

It was Sarge, and they were the holders. One of the most memorable, iconic goals I've ever seen. A diving header from the edge of the penalty area, at the London Rd end with 18,000+ watching on one of those magical night games at the Manor.

I can see it like it was yesterday. Oh how I miss that place..........

What a night that was. First time we had beaten them in the time I was supporting the yellows- may be ever? Oxford Mail headlines were 'United fire in 11 golden cylinders' or something like that

Whyte could have been playing Champions League football tonight, in Bulgaria. Crusaders lost 7-0 so he probably isn't too bothered at missing out.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Some very promising comments from Crusaders fans on Facebook:

You’ve got yourselves a very good player -hard worker and a top lad. He’ll be sorely missed at Crusaders, but delighted for him. Should be an NI international in foreseeable future if you guys treat him right and look after him
1f609.png
[emoji6]

Great signing for Oxford. The stand out player in the Irish league

This guy is unreal. A privilege to watch and a great example to junior footballers at Crusaders. Well done Oxford Utd

You all probably don’t know much of Gavin whyte” sir Matt busby quote “ I’ve found you a genius “ well I can tell you Oxford has got one hell of a player from Belfast
1f44c.png
[emoji108]

He is the best player to have played in the Irish League for 20 years. An absolute gentleman too. Give him a few months to settle into full time football and you’ll have yourselves a star. He’s been amazing to watch these last few years and will be sorely missed at Crusaders, but each and every one of us fans are delighted to see him get his chance. Do yourself proud Gavin!

Bloody ell. Can’t wait!

It was Sarge, and they were the holders. One of the most memorable, iconic goals I've ever seen. A diving header from the edge of the penalty area, at the London Rd end with 18,000+ watching on one of those magical night games at the Manor.

Yes I was there one of those iconic moments like Joeys goal against Blackpool

It was in fact,Oxford's first ever win over the scum.
It was also the largest crowd to watch the scum at the Manor.

Last edited:

A great little header on him, although he was tiny fella he had a leap like a salmon. Him and Kenny Skeen, oh happy memories.

I’m really pleased to see us sign a player like Gavin. He has pace, scores goals and only a young lad. I hope he settles in Oxford and is exciting to watch. Identifying young talent and helping them make the step up has been good for the club.

A couple of things I picked up from his interview. I don’t think we’ll see him at City today. He says, I can’t wait to come in next week and get started.
Also he only knew about the fact Oxford wanted him two days ago. That says to me we’ve been holding out for another player and he’s gone somewhere else or KR has switched targets. Signing Gavin also doesn’t fit with the statement we’re looking at players at the top end of our pay scale.
Unless perhaps we were alerted to him whilst we were on tour?

I’m really pleased to see us sign a player like Gavin. He has pace, scores goals and only a young lad. I hope he settles in Oxford and is exciting to watch. Identifying young talent and helping them make the step up has been good for the club.

A couple of things I picked up from his interview. I don’t think we’ll see him at City today. He says, I can’t wait to come in next week and get started.
Also he only knew about the fact Oxford wanted him two days ago. That says to me we’ve been holding out for another player and he’s gone somewhere else or KR has switched targets. Signing Gavin also doesn’t fit with the statement we’re looking at players at the top end of our pay scale.
Unless perhaps we were alerted to him whilst we were on tour?
Or we go about business in the right way and only speak to the player once a deal has been agreed. Crusaders played on 11th, so he would have known Tuesday at the latest as was told at the airport when flying out. You cannot approach another player without first agreeing terms with the selling club. It’s easy to put a negative spin on things but thing you’re barking up the wrong tree here.

Last edited:
Or we go about business in the right way and only speak to the player once a deal has been agreed. Crusaders played on 11th, so he would have known Tuesday at the latest as was told at the airport when flying out. You cannot approach another player without first agreeing terms with the selling club. It’s easy to put a negative spin on things but thing you’re barking up the wrong tree here.
That’s not true. Firstly I’m not trying to put a negative spin on anything just my thoughts from his interview. Plus clouds and silver lining, he might turn out to be the best player we’ve had in years.
You do not need to agree terms before talking to a player. You just need permission to talk to them. The deal includeding fees, wages etc is then sorted out. Ive know players that have agreed to sign for another club but the two clubs cannot agree a fee and it breaks down.
He says the moment I knew Oxford were interested I knew I wanted to come here. Also I was waiting for the plane when I found out.
Seriously the transfer window has been open all this time and and it’s taken all this time to sort out this deal? Doubtful.

• React
That’s not true. Firstly I’m not trying to put a negative spin on anything just my thoughts from his interview. Plus clouds and silver lining, he might turn out to be the best player we’ve had in years.
You do not need to agree terms before talking to a player. You just need permission to talk to them. The deal includeding fees, wages etc is then sorted out. Ive know players that have agreed to sign for another club but the two clubs cannot agree a fee and it breaks down.
He says the moment I knew Oxford were interested I knew I wanted to come here. Also I was waiting for the plane when I found out.
Seriously the transfer window has been open all this time and and it’s taken all this time to sort out this deal? Doubtful.

Maybe there was some delay with agreeing a transfer fee with Crusaders. But like you I am happy with his signing as we have reasonable experience in the squad so potentially exciting young signings hopefully should add energy and enthusiasm.

Edit: Crusaders were very explicit in highlighting how professional Oxford had been in dealings with them.

Last edited:
  • React
Firstly I’m not trying to put a negative spin on anything.

But that is a pretty negative way to look at things.

It sounds like he has been on our radar for some time and entirely reasonable that discussions were concluded between the two clubs ahead of KR meeting Gavin whilst in Ireland. And although he may not be at the top end of our budget, rumours of £100k fee are still sizeable when it is very likely more will be coming in.

Pretty much every team in the world will have a number of options for each of the positions they are looking to fill. It doesn't necessarily mean that players are second, third best etc but that deals are concluded on many different factors and you always keep as many options open as possible.

We look like we've brought in a very exciting young player who fits with our model of developing and adding value to those who fall through the net. He is quick and scores goals and has some fantastic reviews from the club he has just left.

Not sure there is anything to be negative about here.

Not sure there is anything to be negative about here.

I agree, which is why I don’t think I’m being negative. Just stating my opinion about the signing not being perhaps our 1st choice. Or maybe not a player at the top of our pay scale. Being positive perhaps that / those players are still to sign.

Jim Magilton was the last decent Northern Ireland player we had that I can remember.

Back
Top Bottom