Gavin Whyte

Serious question - unlike some of my jokey posts on this earlier - but this seems to be on all sorts of sites from the Daily Mail to the New York Times.... now I've done some silly things (usually chucking up, having a row with someone, falling asleep in a club etc) rather than what Gav was doing) and that feeling of seeing family / friends / workmates the morning after is horrible..... Now imagine that is was something that felt like the whole world knew about it rather than just people you know well...... what I'm trying to get to is that, however stupid he's been I hope that someone is looking out for the boy. Probably seems like it won't blow over that quickly to him just now.

Serious question - unlike some of my jokey posts on this earlier - but this seems to be on all sorts of sites from the Daily Mail to the New York Times.... now I've done some silly things (usually chucking up, having a row with someone, falling asleep in a club etc) rather than what Gav was doing) and that feeling of seeing family / friends / workmates the morning after is horrible..... Now imagine that is was something that felt like the whole world knew about it rather than just people you know well...... what I'm trying to get to is that, however stupid he's been I hope that someone is looking out for the boy. Probably seems like it won't blow over that quickly to him just now.
Yes - he's getting to get chants of w*****r for probably years to come at every game. The club should get a sports psychologist in to help him deal with it. Or speak to other players who've got abuse from the crowd like when Beckham did after a world cup.
I don't know how, perhaps a "swinging helicopter arms" reaction to the crowd to show it's not affecting him?

Yes - he's getting to get chants of w*****r for probably years to come at every game. The club should get a sports psychologist in to help him deal with it. Or speak to other players who've got abuse from the crowd like when Beckham did after a world cup.
I don't know how, perhaps a "swinging helicopter arms" reaction to the crowd to show it's not affecting him?
I agree, I guess it's even a bit different to Beckham, or even other stories of players cheating... I know it's down to him.... but just don't want the poor lad thinking it's the end of the world through any self loathing for it... that could actually be worse than the fans chants etc...
Having a proper "strategy" for dealing with it is a good idea. We def need to get behind him on Saturday though.... funny chant from us might actually help in a funny way.

I do feel whyte has let the club and himself down badly, although I'm glad to see the club has stood by him. We've all done stupid things whilst drunk, admittedly this is particular bad. He will have to take the stick I'm afraid but hopefully it will make him a stronger character long term. In fact, some players thrive and getting stick from the crowd.

Hmmmmm.... the lad's Wikipedia page hasn't been updated yet....

Such a good point. Hes been a bit of a dick, but by all accounts is a decent lad working hard in his first season as a pro.

For an experienced premiership player it would be a lot. Goodness knows what its like for someone fresh from the part time game.

Hes been a drunken idiot, no harm was meant or done.

Fred Dinage on meridian did a bite sized report .... according to Fred Gavin exposed himself in Belfast ...w*****g or windmilling not metioned, toned down for .teatime tv?

Edit - Fred Dinage is a Pompey fan btw!

Last edited:
So this makes the national news however our 3rd HMRC issue in as many months and nothing mentioned?
Simples :
HMRC petitions are 10 a penny and a regular occurrence -so not newsworthy.
An International Football player caught,allegedly masturbating on a Belfast Street, is not presumably a regular occurrence and when shared on social media-it is news.
Our club will survive .
Hopefully Gavin will also.

If this did happen as reported and I have my doubts, but maybe he is gay.

Not saying that in a derogatory way as I could not care less and hope he progresses at OUFC but it could be the case.

Just shows how damaging social can be these days!
Sorry I don't understand your point at all.

Absolutely. He has behaved stupidly, but has also been very let down by a "mate" posting the video on social media. Living away from home and away from his young daughter must be pretty difficult at the best of times but will be more so now.
I how he gets his support AND acknowledges how inappropriate his behaviour was.

Back
Top Bottom