Gavin Whyte

Crusaders are a Catholic bunch. I’m sure @Ox4Eva will be welcoming him.

Interesting signing. Could be anything at this stage. League 1 will be a hell of a step up though. Hoban didn’t manage it in League 2 so he’ll have to adapt quickly.

Nick Harris should be alright with his name. ?

Welcome to the mighty Yellows Gavin.
Show us some of that Crusaders form.

Some very promising comments from Crusaders fans on Facebook:

You’ve got yourselves a very good player -hard worker and a top lad. He’ll be sorely missed at Crusaders, but delighted for him. Should be an NI international in foreseeable future if you guys treat him right and look after him
1f609.png
?

Great signing for Oxford. The stand out player in the Irish league

This guy is unreal. A privilege to watch and a great example to junior footballers at Crusaders. Well done Oxford Utd

You all probably don’t know much of Gavin whyte” sir Matt busby quote “ I’ve found you a genius “ well I can tell you Oxford has got one hell of a player from Belfast
1f44c.png
?

He is the best player to have played in the Irish League for 20 years. An absolute gentleman too. Give him a few months to settle into full time football and you’ll have yourselves a star. He’s been amazing to watch these last few years and will be sorely missed at Crusaders, but each and every one of us fans are delighted to see him get his chance. Do yourself proud Gavin!

Some very promising comments from Crusaders fans on Facebook:
Very good reviews, not bitter like a lot of supporters who lose players to other teams.
Was being watched by quite a few teams, well done KR for bagging the player..

Good that he's picked us over teams at maybe a higher level. Really feel like Robinson is he right sort of manager to manage his transition from the Irish leagues. Might take a few months to adjust, but excited to see what he can do!

Given he's 22 perhaps intended for u23 ....and a first team squad player?

Welcome aboard Gavin

Seems an exciting signing to me! People are probably reticent due to past experience with our last Irish import Hoban. Natural I suppose but from the few little snippets I’ve seen, Whyte seems a completely different kettle of fish. Welcome aboard Gavin, and all the best for your time with us. May it be laden with goals and assists!

Looks like a signing with tons of potential.

Feels to me like the midfield's in pretty good shape now - as is the defense, and of course the goalie.

Add two good strikers and I'll be happy! Not too big of an ask, right?:confused:

Looks like a signing with tons of potential.

Feels to me like the midfield's in pretty good shape now - as is the defense, and of course the goalie.

Add two good strikers and I'll be happy! Not too big of an ask, right?:confused:

I still think we need another central midfielder and a winger, too. Maybe some cover at LB as well?

I still think we need another central midfielder and a winger, too. Maybe some cover at LB as well?
KR said that is it at left back.
He said that Ruffles can cover if necessary. Also there is Long and Carroll.
One more midfield player, a wide man and maun striker playback up striker.

KR said that is it at left back.
He said that Ruffles can cover if necessary. Also there is Long and Carroll.
One more midfield player, a wide man and maun striker playback up striker.

Hasn't he also been quite as saying we're 6-7 players short (prior to signing Whyte)? I think we'll see at least 4 more to be honest.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Hasn't he also been quite as saying we're 6-7 players short (prior to signing Whyte)? I think we'll see at least 4 more to be honest.
Yes 4 -5 players if they are the right ones would be fine with me.
GK and back line sorted unless Nelson or Raglan say were to go.
One more defensive midfield player and a couple of strikers. Plus Jordan Graham!!

I think it's a good signing on paper. Having won the league 3 times, 20 goals from the wing this season and player of the year in NI is impressive. You can say he plays in a semi-pro league but he at least has done more or less the maximum you could do in his circumstances, and he's only 22. Should have a fair bit of potential I would think. Might not be great straight away but may well pay dividends long term.

I think we'll get 5-6 still judging by Karl's comments. I think we'll look at a left winger still - Whyte (apparently), Hall and Henry are better on the right than left if played out wide at all - Henry will probably go central, maybe another number 10, probably 2 strikers, and at least 1 or maybe 2 centre midfielders. I'd consider a backup left back personally, but I think Ruffels or Long will be used there so I don't think that will happen.

Last edited:
Fee of around £100,000 according to Belfast Live Newspaper.

Back
Top Bottom