Ex Player Gavin Whyte - Missing him ?

dickwalton1964

I didn't think I'd be saying this but I don't think we are missing Whyte at all. Loved watching him play but we seem so well balanced down his side of the pitch and I think his departure has helped us play more football. Without his pace we are having to play the ball around opposition defences more but in doing so we've become more of a team and less reliant on an individual.

Don't get me wrong a flying winger in full flow is a great sight and we haven't replaced his searing pace but there looks enough energy and quickness to our play not to have really missed him, certainly not to the degree that I for one thought we might.

His goal return was good for a wide man but again we are right up alongside City as the countries leading scorers so there's evidence aplenty that there's a more rounded team contribution in terms of goals.

Haha, was going to put that as the thread title but thought that'd have been too harsh !!! Missing him or not he was a terrific player for us !!!
he was for sure .... hope his pal/ reccomendation Stkes gets some more first team appearances... and soon

Given that Whyte played on the right for us and Fosu on the left, we would have been playing both of them. Yum yum!

At the moment, Cadden is doing well down the right - and although he doesn't play the same or in the same position as Whyte, he is giving us a lot of the same fluidity. What our right side looks like when Cadden leaves in January is another matter entirely.

Given that Whyte played on the right for us and Fosu on the left, we would have been playing both of them. Yum yum!

At the moment, Cadden is doing well down the right - and although he doesn't play the same or in the same position as Whyte, he is giving us a lot of the same fluidity. What our right side looks like when Cadden leaves in January is another matter entirely.
Sykes might get some game time? ...he did alright V West Ham IMO

Sykes might get some game time? ...he did alright V West Ham IMO
Don't get me wrong, I do rate Skyes. I'm not sure he would give us quite the same as either Whyte or Cadden, but hopefully he can be just as effective albeit in a different way maybe. I guess the time to worry about that is January really and we should just enjoy the current state of affairs!

The squad lacks pace and for that Whyte would be great. For those games where our passing comes to nothing. Having a runner can make things happen.
Cadden, Fosu. Agyei. Baptiste looks pretty quick against PL midfield players

I'd be very happy if he was part of this squad. His speed would add something different to the squad.

Amazing how a few good results can drive some people a bit wild!

Let’s be honest, in the league we’ve lost or drawn nearly double the amount of games that we’ve won. Are you seriously saying that if we’d had Gavin Whyte’s pace, one of our best players last season who’s now doing quite well a league above, we wouldn’t have got a point out of those 4 losses or a win out of those 3 draws?!

I’m as happy as anyone about our recent form but let’s be honest, if we’d kept Whyte he would have been a guaranteed starter if fit - and Fosu is irrelevant as he plays on the other side! I’d also happily bet my life in a scenario where if we’d had him fit and available all season, we’d have at least one more point than we do now.

Worst case scenario we had him on the bench every game to bring on against tiring legs - still better than not! And the side does lack a bit of pace, that’s just a fact. Luckily we can negate that, but yeah we do miss him a bit.

‘The squad lacks pace’ errrrrr

Fosu first goal vs Lincoln
Taylor vs gillingham
Henry vs gillingham
Baptiste vs West Ham

Plus others. The amount of goals we have scored from ‘possession turnover’ in our own half recently.

I also wound rate Henry and Forde as slow, just not raw pace.

Having Whyte would be amazing, likewise if we got Browne.

We have changed how we play recently, working the ball into the box rather than endless crossing. Having Fosu and Henry quite Barrie leaves space on the overlap for Ruffels/Cadden

£2,000,000 or Gavin Whyte, frustrated not to be allowed to move to the Championship, in the squad?

Back
Top Bottom