Transfer News Gareth Bale to China?

I am at a loss to see how he can go to China rather than Bayern, or Spurs.
Adding to his multi millions is clearly far more important than only making a few£10 millions and playing competitive football at the highest level.

I am at a loss to see how he can go to China rather than Bayern, or Spurs.
Adding to his multi millions is clearly far more important than only making a few£10 millions and playing competitive football at the highest level.
Yes - bizarre, you would think winning trophies/medals in competitive football (still on megabucks) would be more attractive than even more megabucks and playing in the professional equivalent of the Dave the Builder's Sunday League experience

Bale is 30 now. Not over the hill by any means, but I wonder if three years of earning megabucks and being a big fish in a relatively small (footballing) pond is attractive because there will be less pressure on him than if he (for example) signed for Spurs?

Rumour is that he has fallen out of love with playing football and much prefers golf. 3 years earning a fortune and he can retire to play the worlds worst “sport” every day I suppose.

He has learnt barely any Spanish so I can’t see him putting much effort into learning Chinese over 3 years.

It’s all for the money
Yes but that's my confusion.
If he retires with say wealth of £30m or £50m so what?
Why not play for a club where it matters and you win 'proper' trophies (ok not at Spurs!)
Maybe holdsteady is right and he doesn't really want to play football anymore (great purchase for club in China layjng him £1m a week- the world has gone mad)

If he went to Spurs he'd probably be on something like £200k a week or £30m over a 3 year year deal. In China he's looking at £1m a week! That's £150m over 3 years. Now I'm sure he's far from skint but an extra £120m can't be sniffed at!

Plus, one suspects, 'image rights' fees for all the endorsements etc he will undoubtedly get! We'll soon see his grinning face in Ebay listings for Chinese tat!

Apparently, Real Madrid would have had to let him go on a free transfer as the Chinese club weren't willing to pay a fee due to his wages etc.

He was costing a £156 million without a transfer fee, can’t really blame them.

If he won’t take a pay cut to play elsewhere and they want a transfer fee then he is going to end up staying there, strange business from Real Madrid as paying someone £600,000 a week to sit on a bench is a bit much.

If he went to Spurs he'd probably be on something like £200k a week or £30m over a 3 year year deal. In China he's looking at £1m a week! That's £150m over 3 years. Now I'm sure he's far from skint but an extra £120m can't be sniffed at!
But my point is you dont need £120m.
Once you get to £40m+ surely you have enough money for life?
So you are suggesting that football and winning things is irrelevant? It is only a matter of building £100m's?
I seriously dont get the fact that football is irrelevant and money is more is more important than winning decent titles even though you have more money than you will ever need.

But my point is you dont need £120m.
Once you get to £40m+ surely you have enough money for life?
So you are suggesting that football and winning things is irrelevant? It is only a matter of building £100m's?
I seriously dont get the fact that football is irrelevant and money is more is more important than winning decent titles even though you have more money than you will ever need.

Only Bale knows whether he has enough money. £120million would set up a lot of generations of his family. He might want to build a golf course, he might want to invest it into a business when he retires. Only he knows what he has planned for the future.

I don't think it is up to others to decide if someone has enough money. For the majority of us if we had £2-3million to our name we would say we had enough money, yet when people assume Tiger only has a few million to his name people say he doesn'tt have a pot to P**s in! It is all relevant depending on what you want to do with your money. No one is saying Thoir is a greedy business man yet he has billions in the bank!

Only Bale knows whether he has enough money. £120million would set up a lot of generations of his family. He might want to build a golf course, he might want to invest it into a business when he retires. Only he knows what he has planned for the future.

I don't think it is up to others to decide if someone has enough money. For the majority of us if we had £2-3million to our name we would say we had enough money, yet when people assume Tiger only has a few million to his name people say he doesn'tt have a pot to P**s in! It is all relevant depending on what you want to do with your money. No one is saying Thoir is a greedy business man yet he has billions in the bank!
Fair point.
But my frustration I guess us that unbelievably wealthy footballers choose to go to a poor league as opposed to earning huge money playing competitive football.
You are right that it is his choice (actually it isnt as Real have pulled the plug on the deal). As a football supporter I am a little bewildered...

Fair point.
But my frustration I guess us that unbelievably wealthy footballers choose to go to a poor league as opposed to earning huge money playing competitive football.
You are right that it is his choice (actually it isnt as Real have pulled the plug on the deal). As a football supporter I am a little bewildered...

Football is an industry whereby the players now run their contract deals like a personal business. There is now that much money in the game they will just go to whoever is paying the most money.
I don't blame the players for that, it's down to the TV companies and the people who run football like the Uefa, Fifa, the FA, EFL. All of them are just interested in feeding the bigger clubs.

As football fans it is a hard pill for us to swallow.

Going to be slightly awkward if and when Bale does rejoin the Madrid squad, given that Zidane basically came out in public and said he didn't want him.

On the general point, I think it's fair to say that different players have different priorities.
China is there, now, as a haven for players who would rather earn tens of millions and have an easy life than challenge themselves in the world's most competitive tournaments. Way I see it, as soon as someone chooses to go there, you can essentially write them off as a player from that day forwards.
Players who actually care about competition and their footballing legacy will steer clear and stick to the Premiership or La Liga.
And then every now and again, you get a player like Joey who doesn't care about money or the competition, and just wants to play for Oxford!

Back
Top Bottom