Game of Thrones - WARNING, CONTAINS SPOILERS

The showrunners are off to do 3 Star Wars films, so the recent storytelling will fight right in! In fact, they may have to dumb it down for some fans even more.

Oh, great.

What's worse is that I'll probably still go see them (because my ten-year old self buried in my psyche wouldn't let me miss them) even though they've all been terrible since 1981 (with the arguable exception of Rogue One)

Martin lost the way with the books after the excellent first 3, the next two are not as good and a bit all over the place. He doesn’t know how to tie it all together and finish it himself I reckon, was hoping the tv show would do it for him but must be a bit disappointed that the people behind it got a big money offer to do the Star Wars films so rushed a poor ending. Got to agree that he won’t finish writing the series, he is very rich and quite old now, not a combination to make you do something you don’t want to do.

The books and tv show will probably always be regarded for starting brilliantly and either not finishing or not being properly finished.

I am still laughing at the fans who can't get over the Dany madness. Yes, you bought way too much into the character and oversaw stuff like
because of what you projected onto her.

The annoying thing with the books is he's been writing this one for ages and keeps going on retreats to finish it. And nothing appears.

And of course, the Star Wars links are kind of ironic in some respects. Rush a well written and thought out TV program, to go to films that have recently had dire storylines and little plot. There must be many million reasons for why.

The final season of any long-running and popular series is often the most criticised. Fans build their hopes and expectations too high and want their version of events to play out in front of them.

When it doesn’t, the finality is too much to bear. A sense of injustice and theft gives way to the peerless, spiteful wrath of geekdom.

The writing has been going downhill and the last two seasons have been seen the show’s pace change for the worse, however, it’s still been enjoyable and there have been great moments. Whatever the writers did was going to disappoint many. It’s impossible for them to write a show that’s bespoke to each of us and frankly that’s the only way we’d all be happy.

I’m going to miss the characters and a re-read has now commenced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, it's very rare that a big TV show doesn't drop in quality in its later stages - particularly in the US, where the massive riches on offer incentivize everyone to flog every horse way longer than it should be (it's ironic that GoT is the one show that's gone the other way - rushing to the end instead, because of the massive riches on offer from Disney) and the actors get a little staid and tend to mail it in.

I'd argue that even the likes of The Wire and Breaking Bad dipped in their final seasons (they were still very good - but not as good as either show at their peak)…….

So obviously the petition is a ridiculous expression of butthurt fantasists...….
…...although at the same time, although it would never happen, it would be fascinating as a practical study to see what another group of writers would do with the same cast and material!

Frankly, it's very rare that a big TV show doesn't drop in quality in its later stages - particularly in the US, where the massive riches on offer incentivize everyone to flog every horse way longer than it should be (it's ironic that GoT is the one show that's gone the other way - rushing to the end instead, because of the massive riches on offer from Disney) and the actors get a little staid and tend to mail it in.

I'd argue that even the likes of The Wire and Breaking Bad dipped in their final seasons (they were still very good - but not as good as either show at their peak)…….

So obviously the petition is a ridiculous expression of butthurt fantasists...….
…...although at the same time, although it would never happen, it would be fascinating as a practical study to see what another group of writers would do with the same cast and material!

vaguely recall an early cinema version of lord of the rings which was animated but some of the animation was overlaid over footage of real actors etc ... it went about 2/3 of the way into the jrr tolkien LoR book story....apparently the producer of that one ran out of funding , albeit claimed it would be finished (as in a part2)once more funding was secured. it never was ..... then years later Jackson's epic 3 film depiction was made.

I went to see the first (early) big screen (part) adeptation at Magdelen street cinema, which was part of the ABC cinema chain at the time, I think? ....I did have a copy of the early (part) adeptation on vhs too , though thats now an obselete format, that vhs is probably in landfil somewhere now

vaguely recall an early cinema version of lord of the rings which was animated but some of the animation was overlaid over footage of real actors etc ... it went about 2/3 of the way into the jrr tolkien LoR book story....apparently the producer of that one ran out of funding , albeit claimed it would be finished (as in a part2)once more funding was secured. it never was ..... then years later Jackson's epic 3 film depiction was made.

I went to see the first (early) big screen (part) adeptation at Magdelen street cinema, which was part of the ABC cinema chain at the time, I think? ....I did have a copy of the early (part) adeptation on vhs too , though thats now an obselete format, that vhs is probably in landfil somewhere now
vhs video tape cover... the part adaptation was made in 1978

71GsTi6qgvL._SY445_.jpg

Predictions for tonight?

Ayra seems destined to kill Dany, which is why I'm not sure it'll happen. Tyrion was featured in the trailer so it looks like he'll have a big part to play. Jon has been a bit wet lately, Sansa stuck in the north, Bran looking moody, Samwell off reading books! No one who seems likely to unite the seven kingdoms!

Predictions for tonight?

Ayra seems destined to kill Dany, which is why I'm not sure it'll happen. Tyrion was featured in the trailer so it looks like he'll have a big part to play. Jon has been a bit wet lately, Sansa stuck in the north, Bran looking moody, Samwell off reading books! No one who seems likely to unite the seven kingdoms!
my prediction is G o T will conclude with tonights final episode

and many long term devotees of the series wont be too happy with how it all ends

my prediction is G o T will conclude with tonights final episode

and many long term devotees of the series wont be too happy with how it all ends
Further, I expect the "internet to break" at the rage. I know it won't be perfect, so I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is and be thankful it got 8 seasons.

My prediction. I guess Arya won't kill Dany as she killed the NK - the show runners don't want to do the obvious this season it seems. My guess will be Tyrion, if she dies at all. Someone from the past will reappear randomly. Bran will warg one last time. And yeah, that'll be that.

Dany will die I assume. I reckon Jon will go as well.
Sansa will be influential I reckon.

I think Dany has to die, there can't be peace with her on the throne. It's too obvious with Arya, and she had he one big moment killing the Night King. Jon has been pretty lame lately, and although he might have his moment killing Dany, I think it's more likely that Tyrion will sacrifice himself with both ending up dead. Bran and Sansa will be the two most likely to take the throne which may not be a fans favourite but will tie all up many of the loose ends.

Either way, a billion people will go into meltdown and break the internet, demand a recount and blame it on Shaun Derry or something!!!!

Thing is, it's almost too obvious that Dany will die, but to fill the circle of the program about destiny, the right thing.

I would laugh if they pulled a Dallas and Bran dreamed it all after his fall from the tower.
giphy.gif

Love Scotchegg’s predictions.

I also predict nonsense meltdowns. Just enjoy it for what it is. I just finished as I’m out in the US.

I must be the only one who’s never watched a single episode of this show. I’ve never even seen a Lord Of The Rings.

I guess what you don’t see you don’t miss.

Or maybe I’m just a miserable sod ?

Back
Top Bottom