Fund raising for our club

• Thread starter Steve Gilbert
  • Start date
S

Steve Gilbert

This may not be in the right section so please feel free to move it to the best section MODS.

I have been in discussions with Zaki over the last few days about whether we, the fans can help the club with cash flow by raising money and whilst he doesn't want to put a extra burden on fans in these testing times, he is happy for me to put the idea out there.
So would people be happy to donate money into a fund that would go to the club which would help with the lack of cash flow in these testing times?
Zaki has asked me to put the idea out there first to see if people would be happy to donate money and then he will discuss the possibilities of what the money could be used for.

An example would be if just 1000 fans gave £10 that would be £10000 the club isn't currently receiving.

I think that these are always very well intended, but £10k is so very little towards our operational costs, and comes at a time when many are not working or on significantly reduced wages.

The very best way that we can support our club is that once this or next season starts, we all turn up in numbers to sell out games, buy the shirts, scarves etc and get behind the team.

If the club really are strapped for cash, surely they can furlough the players - which they have not yet done as far as I know. I am not convinced that football clubs (even ours, which I love dearly) are the most needy of causes at the moment for anyone with spare money.
Why not sell season tickets for next season? We might not complete this season, but there will be a next season 'sometime'.

If the club really are strapped for cash, surely they can furlough the players - which they have not yet done as far as I know. I am not convinced that football clubs (even ours, which I love dearly) are the most needy of causes at the moment for anyone with spare money.
Why not sell season tickets for next season? We might not complete this season, but there will be a next season 'sometime'.
I agree. I’ve “loved” this club for many years now, and would like to support it as much as possible. But my financial support is currently going to local hospice care which, as a result of the current climate, is losing its financial support from donations to a large extent.
Of course, I’ll renew my season ticket and support in other ways, but for now people are dying....

An idea from my German club Union.
They relive a past matchday from start to finish. For example when we were due to play Hertha they streamed all the pre-match press conferences, full match, reaction as they happened when Union beat Hertha at the Olympiastadion from 2011. At the same time, the catering was "open" and people could buy a hot dog and beer online as a donation.

I've answered this before and the Leisure pound was already stretched before this crisis, now in best case scenario people will have 20% less income so where does this money come from to buy these season tickets?.
This is also not just about today, the 80% the Government are shelling out now will need to be clawed back so things are going to become more expensive, people who have deferred their Mortgage/Rent for 3 months will be paying this back meaning higher payments until repaid.
The numbers who might even have spare will be so tiny that it will make little difference.

An idea from my German club Union.
They relive a past matchday from start to finish. For example when we were due to play Hertha they streamed all the pre-match press conferences, full match, reaction as they happened when Union beat Hertha at the Olympiastadion from 2011. At the same time, the catering was "open" and people could buy a hot dog and beer online as a donation.

StadCo and UncleFiroz like this.

Personally I would rather donate any spare pennies to NHS / Food bank type charities.

However once we get back to normal I’ll definitely up the number of home games I go to, will buy a couple of extra items from the club shop, buy more 50/50 ticks, match progs etc. This may not help with the immediate cash flow situation, but if those that can do likewise it will help in the long run.

I wouldn’t feel particularly great about donating money to a club that has already furloughed its staff and just made millions in transfer sales and cup runs in recent months. I am aware of transfer payments being over a length of time before anyone wants to try picking holes in it - the point still stands. We’ve got money coming in via outstanding balances owed to us. We are not at death’s door and even ten grand is going to do nothing for a club like ours - it isn’t paying its employees at all outside of the playing and coaching staff. Ten grand will pay three top earners’ salary for one week, and then it’s gone. That isn’t making a blind bit of difference.

What I would personally donate to is a fund for the furloughed staff to receive, as they’re the most vulnerable and are living on reduced means. If that’s where the money was being put then absolutely, count me in. But if it’s just going to our FD who then sanctions it to pay James Henry’s salary for three weeks then I don’t feel that sits too well. Personally.

I would donate to a fund where those who aren't working/furloughed can use it for groceries, etc to help them through the period. Depending on finance, look to help the elderly and vulnerable too. At least it then has a defined goal

For those not in the immediate area, a foodbank goes against the lockdown rules.

A hardship fund is probably the best term I can think of.

We have furloughed the non-playing staff so they`ll get 80% of their salary, I would rather any money raised was used to top up the missing 20% for them and them alone.
The players etc are in a very fortunate position in comparison to many of the supporters & non-playing staff.
The Board are even more fortunate then any of the above, maybe they could put their hands in their very deep pockets?

Back
Top Bottom