Full strength or free hit?

Should wet play a full strength side?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellowyellow

There is the possibility that KR will rest players tomorrow, as he sees the Wigan game as a free hit, as he put it. A caller and Nick Harris disagreed.
It does it seemed to be a little defeatist with points being available, or do we save the players for the Doncaster game?
If we were safe then to look at players outside of the best 11 would be a good idea, but we are not yet safe, so could be doing the fans that are travelling a dis service.

I agree but the strongest might mean bringing in other players due to knocks, fatigue etc. So yes for both from me. :D

Sure, there are valid arguments for both sides.

However, resting players has never sat well with me, it seems to be a lot more common nowadays, especially in the fabled “Premier League” (which I abhor)!

It often doesn’t go to plan, which inevitably leads to all the “What if”? comments.

It’s a tricky decision for any manager, but in my view, it’s better for the squad as a whole to feel at full strength, and it’s the decent (and sporting) thing to do.

Whilst I understand the idea behind resting best players and "taking the hit", I would say that the psychological damage done by us rolling over and allowing another drubbing would cause more damage to the team and morale (which is currently having a nice little renaissance) than the potential risk of a player getting tired or injured.

And, as has been suggested, Wigan might well stack it and we could actually get something.

It’s clear the confidence is slowly but surely building again now, both on the pitch and in the stands. If Robinson gets things wrong that bubble could be burst again and we could be back to square one. Is it possible he said that before he was fully aware of the other results yesterday..?

Strong. Wigan are very very good, but people talk as if they are barcelona. They can be beaten.

We also need to protect our goal difference.
Even Barcelona aren’t invincible. This last week has proved ANY team can be beaten..

I'd go strongest with an exception of 2. I wouldn't risk Rothwell and I'd rest Henry. Both picked up injuries recently and Henry admitted he still has the pain in his back.

Rather lose them for 1 game then 3.

I’d be tempted to play Napa. Both because we’ve played a lot of games in quick succession (and players have put in the hard yards) and because I think we’ll play quite deep.

Given that he’s one of only a handful of players (at best) with genuine pace, he could be a useful weapon in helping to stretch the game on the counter.

Would probably play Mehmeti too so that we have someone up top who can hold the ball and bring the likes up Napa or whoever else starts into play.

Surely we should just play our strongest possible team taking into account those that need rest etc.? I wouldn’t just play a reserve team just because we’re unlikely to get a result, but if certain players need a rest then by all means start someone in their place.

Christ some do like to over complicate this football lark.

Suspect that there’s a little bit of mind games going on here.

Word gets to the Wigan players that we’re playing a ‘weakened’ side, could mean a little bit of complacency on their part.

Yes, I think we may rest a couple of players to the bench, but nothing dramatic. Don’t forget Robinson has already taken a Charlton side there and got a draw.

Even just mentally, calling any game at this stage a 'free hit' is not the sort of talk anyone wants to hear. Not the travelling fans, nor the players selected.

If we went for it and managed to get a point (or even a very close defeat), it would give us a huge bump in confidence for the rest of the games.

If we managed to win, we wouldn't even need to worry about Doncaster so much.

I think that KRs point was that he is worried that certain players are playing at such a high intensity that he is worried that they will run out of steam (presumably there is a risk of injury as well).

It probably depends on the injury situation. I can see where KR is coming from. He could for example bring Ruffels in for Ledson (who has done a load of running in the past few weeks). He could also bring in Mehmeti, Napa and GVK for Thomas/ Obika. The other change that he could make is Martin fro Mousinho.

I wouldn't risk Rothwell and so the question is can Henry play or is it best to leave him out too (and who comes in for him, Napa?)

Suspect that there’s a little bit of mind games going on here.

Word gets to the Wigan players that we’re playing a ‘weakened’ side, could mean a little bit of complacency on their part.

Yes, I think we may rest a couple of players to the bench, but nothing dramatic. Don’t forget Robinson has already taken a Charlton side there and got a draw.
Wonder if anyone would notice if he rested our lot and tried to use the same players..?

Even just mentally, calling any game at this stage a 'free hit' is not the sort of talk anyone wants to hear. Not the travelling fans, nor the players selected.

If we went for it and managed to get a point (or even a very close defeat), it would give us a huge bump in confidence for the rest of the games.

If we managed to win, we wouldn't even need to worry about Doncaster so much.
Without doubt. But... the chances of us winning at Wigan are very very small I would have thought?
The top three are heads and shoulders above the rest of the Division.
Being pragmatic if we have to win another game it is likely to be at Doncaster or at home to Rochdale.

Without doubt. But... the chances of us winning at Wigan are very very small I would have thought?
The top three are heads and shoulders above the rest of the Division.
Being pragmatic if we have to win another game it is likely to be at Doncaster or at home to Rochdale.

I agree, but completely giving up on a game isn't the way to go about it.

I'm not saying we have much chance of beating Wigan... but we do have some chance.

If we play a full strength side and beat Wigan, it's genius and saves us from much more worry for the rest of the season.
If we play a full strength side and lose, then beat Doncaster, it's still a great week.
If we play a full strength side and lose, then lose to Doncaster, the Wigan match still wouldn't be blamed.

However, if we play a weakened side against Wigan, and still lose to Doncaster, then we've completely thrown away a match that we need to make to most of to get to 53+ points.

I get royally peed off by this talk of "resting" players...its their JOB for which they are handsomely paid.
If they are injured then fair enough otherwise they are on the list for selection.
Otherwise..... get on with it and select the strongest possible team.

On the brightside............... it can`t be any worse....

I think he's beginning to get a settled best 11, seems odd to break it up just as they start playing well as a team. But Robinson's the boss. I might just trust him since he really has turned things round on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom