Full strength or free hit?

Should wet play a full strength side?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think play Ruffels, Mousinho and Brannigan at CDM (Martin in in defence) with Mowatt a bit in front of them, with Napa and GvK up top. Rest Ledson, Henry, Rothwell. It's not defeatist to acknowledge that we play a very high-intensity midfield game with the diamond and that having those three, especially Ledson, fresh for a massive game next weekend is sensible. Having those three CDMs to protect our back 4, with Mowatt in front of them to ping balls in to pace frontman, I think gives us a good chance of the only realistic way we are going to get anything out of this game - defend well and hit them on the counter. It might not make for enjoyable viewing but, with all due respect, the focus now should be on picking up points, not playing attractive football to keep travelling fans happy.

I find the idea of allowing those players carrying injuries or those lacking full match fitness to have a breather, actually no bad idea. If that means fitter and with less injured choices for the remaining games, surely beneficial? After all, it has to be recognised that Wigan (and Blackburn for that matter) are in a much better place and have a proven record of winning. We, on the other hand, have struggled.
We can still put out a reasonable side and I wouldn't have thought that KR will call for wholesale change. Chance for Nelson, Nappa, Van Kessel, Mehmeti among others to start. Whether Shearer starts for Easty is a question.

Think the pressure is on Wigan for this one. Draw on the weeken, need to win to keep title bid going. Where’s we aren’t expected to go their and get anything. Our survival won’t be decided by the result on Tuesday.

Injuries is the obvious reason to rotate. Wouldn’t risk anyone who has a niggle. The other thing to consider is suspensions. Does the tallying up process still co tinge this late in the season, if so Ledson must be close to a suspension. Rochdale have lost Ian Henderson for three games, which could be fatal.

Maybe a statto can check, but I seem to remember us struggling under MApp at weekend games when we had played midweek beforehand. I wouldn't mind if KR chose to keep a few players fresh for next weekend.

This is one of the occasions when the results are going to justify the managers decision. If he 'rotates' for Tuesday and we win on Saturday then it was the right decision. If we get thumped on Tuesday and that damages confidence leading to a defeat on Saturday then he's made a cock up.
I think my preference would be to not select players for Tuesday if they are struggling a bit (as Henry was apparently before yesterday's game) or are only just fit enough (Rothwell possibly), while keeping the spine as much as possible. If Nelson is actually properly fit, then I'd be tempted to start him with Mous in front of him, swap Napa in for Henry (if he needs to recover) and maybe play Mehmeti or GvK instead of Obika.
I think we are going to have to look at the results over the two games though rather than taking either one in isolation.

Play the strongest "fittest" side possible and try and get something out of the game. A good performance will be a nice building block from the remainder of the season

it was a long time coming, that great result yesterday,.... I can't see any need to tinker with a winning team myself

Just because we may rest a few players doesn't mean the side is being weakened, I imagine some of those who will play will be;

Carroll (needs a game in case needed for run in)
Mehmeti (needs a run of games as he's been in and out, mostly out)
Nelson (KR said he would start but then wouldn't start against Doncaster, sensible in my eyes until fully up to speed)
Napa (again played a few in a row but a game now would help him)
Martin (certainly unlucky to lose his place to Dickie so needs a game)

Imagine winning at Wigan whilst resting some, what a great headache for the manager ahead of Doncaster.

I'm not a huge fan of squad rotation but we don't have the stats of how close players are to picking up injuries or nursing them already, maybe they need that free week?

Two ways of looking at this .....

Put your first choice team out (subject to injury restrictions) and go for it. If we get hammered we risk knocking some new found confidence, but if we win/draw we have a fantastic boost to finish off the season.

Or: Use it as an opportunity to give some of the squad members some much needed game time, rest some players for Saturday and possibly risk another heavy loss and a hit on goal difference. Confidence is less likely to be knocked in this scenario given the deliberate tinkering.

Either way, it is a gamble.

Personally, I would go brave and select the strongest team available and try to get over the line. I’m sure every player out their on Saturday will want to play too.

Keep the strongest available team with the weakened players (niggles or injuries) left out. Go for the draw or win at Wigan using the momentum gained from recent games. Most of the players are match sharp and to keep going now is a better than a stop-start way (notice how Southend were not quite in the game compared to us despite having not played a game midweek, they should’ve been more rested).
Saying all that I’m sure KR knows exactly what he’s doing!

I'm sure we aren't going to change the whole team,just a select few that might need to have a bit of time out for more winnable games.Ledson has done loads of work recently,Henry didn't train for most of last week,Nelson could do with some game time.

I don’t buy it

Kr seems pretty smart. He’s certainly not dumb enough to believe that a team in a relegation mire has a ‘free hit’

It might be a ploy to help the players relax. That’s how I read it anyway.

Besides, the number of changes he could make seem minimal. Napa might play instead of Henry to give us an outlet. But who else is going to come in? Dwight? Ivor? Williamson? Pah.
We might play with 3 centre backs with Brannigan and Lego mopping up in front.
In other words parking the bus.

Full strength. Might as well go for it.

A point up there would be fantastic. But an honourable defeat is more likely.

Maybe a statto can check, but I seem to remember us struggling under MApp at weekend games when we had played midweek beforehand. I wouldn't mind if KR chose to keep a few players fresh for next weekend.

Whilst at it, can statto check when was the last time we won a midweek league game that wasn't a bank holiday?. I can't remember one this season.

Back
Top Bottom