Franchise Friendly

Did that video only show MKD attacks because it was an MKD video, or did we just not have any ?

Going purely on the RadOx commentary we probably didn't have too many. (Apart from the two penalty claims they kept rabbiting on about!)

Just to point out to the moaners the players I believe were put through a training session yesterday morning. The idea was to get them tired before the game then play a match. This method will be crucial in improving fitness levels.

Normally pre-season games at this stage focus on tactical and organisational work. Seems a waste to have a friendly against a top L2 team just to improve fitness - wouldn't a 90min 11v11 on the training pitch do? Call me a moaner but I just don't buy this explanation.

If the opposition know that you are fatigued then they can drop their intensity and both play at 590%

The plan, whether we agree with it or not, is to reduce recovery time by competing when energy levels are already depleted.

It might not be evident now, but the results should show as we get further into the season.

Alternatively of course, we could just have been rubbish last night!!

Well that was utter, utter rubbish. Preseason or not with one week to go. Christ.

What was your general opinion of all the other pre season games??

Just looking for a balanced opinion rather than taking one game in isolation, that’s all.

Normally pre-season games at this stage focus on tactical and organisational work. Seems a waste to have a friendly against a top L2 team just to improve fitness - wouldn't a 90min 11v11 on the training pitch do? Call me a moaner but I just don't buy this explanation.
KR has had great success in the first few games of previous seasons using this method.
Results in friendlies are irrelevant and so to a certain extent are one off performances (overall they have been pretty good)
Performances I guess in the first 5 games will give an indication of how successful the pre season was.

What was your general opinion of all the other pre season games??

Just looking for a balanced opinion rather than taking one game in isolation, that’s all.
Generally pretty good I believe. I thought we did well v a very strong Palace team and very well in the first half v Leeds. I had some worries about the defence in the second half v Leeds where Norman especially was left exposed.
Anything out of the game next Saturday would be a very good result. Barnsley seem to be second favourites with the bookies to go up.

Generally pretty good I believe. I thought we did well v a very strong Palace team and very well in the first half v Leeds. I had some worries about the defence in the second half v Leeds where Norman especially was left exposed.
Anything out of the game next Saturday would be a very good result. Barnsley seem to be second favourites with the bookies to go up.

Agree with all of this. Unless we get thrashed next week, I really don't want to be hearing any doom-mongering coming from a loss to Barnsley.

Agree with all of this. Unless we get thrashed next week, I really don't want to be hearing any doom-mongering coming from a loss to Barnsley.

I find that the 1st few games of the season are always a lottery as teams settle down and find some sort of form.

Given that they are 2nd favourites i am quite happy we have them first. Get a difficult away game out of the way at a time when anything could happen.

Is it just me or is there a distinct touch of deja vu here. When Appleton started he too liked the 4-2-3-1 formation. But all to rapidly it used to degenerate into a 4-5-0-0-1 formation because he didn't have the players to suit 4-2-3-1. Particularly the lone striker. It seems to be happening again this season. Maybe Mackie will helps matters and the other new player(s?) will too.

Whenever we do well in first two games and zoom to the top we always then fall apart dramatically.
Last season, first 2 games - wins at Oldham & Pompey (H)
The year we won 4-1 at Pompey, then beat someone at home. CW disappeared in Jan and the rest is history.
Then not forgetting first year in Conference with Jim Smith's team beating everyone before them until the wheels came off.

Absolutely right dabigfella.

And I also think it is potentially a great system if we want to be solid in defence and get the skilful 3 on the ball and be able to attack in numbers.
It does depend ( maybe more than traditional old 442? ) on getting the right players in the right positions. Critically the full backs, who will often be wide attackers and.... wait for it!..... the one most forward. (NB not our "only forward"!).
That's why Tyrone Barnet was seen to be important to MAPP and why now, a fit and on form, Obika is a big plus.

Yes he needs to stay largely fit and on form.... like other players. But don't think it's fair or realistic to expect him to more more fit or more on form every game than e.g. Dickie or Henry. And stats from other play off/promoted, teams (as pointed out on this forum) demonstrate he doesn't need to be 20 goals a season. They are v rare.

And of course like every other potential first team starter there does need to be a good quality alternative. Which is why KR has been trying to get Sam Smith.

In KR we trust. COYY!

Back
Top Bottom