General Fosu and Baptiste - The Athletic

George Elek has written a really good piece in The Athletic today about the Fosu/Baptiste sale:

Would recommend giving it a read! It confirms the fees and sell on clauses associated with the sale. We should all be hoping for a Brentford promotion!
Well it doesn't really tell us much other than there is a sell on clause for Baptiste and could be a promotion clause(s)?

I wonder if becuase Fosu activated the buy-out clause, can we still have a sell-on?

I wonder if becuase Fosu activated the buy-out clause, can we still have a sell-on?

I don't think so unless we were to receive a smaller fee than the full clause value. Otherwise, why would Brentford want to Oxford to receive more than the buy-out clause?

Brentford include 20+% sell on pretty regularly for players..if Baptiste ends up moving for the money we think we will most probably get a decent amount

“The Athletic understands from sources close to the club that Oxford retain a percentage of Baptiste’s next sale and could be due a fee should Brentford get promoted to the Premier League. They hope that these clauses take the expected fee significantly over the reported amount.”

George takes a positive spin on the transfer, pointing out how it vindicates our process and model: “Brentford may well have got themselves a bargain for two young and exciting players but Oxford will see this as another success of their model as they look to emulate the club they sold to.” Not that many in the game arent already likely to know this, but getting this kind of exposure on the Athletic hopefully raises our profile even more. He is correct that Brentford are a club we should try to emulate imo.

I also hadn’t realised how close Baptiste came to being released under Clotet! Would have been absolute madness.

“The Athletic understands from sources close to the club that Oxford retain a percentage of Baptiste’s next sale and could be due a fee should Brentford get promoted to the Premier League. They hope that these clauses take the expected fee significantly over the reported amount.”

George takes a positive spin on the transfer, pointing out how it vindicates our process and model: “Brentford may well have got themselves a bargain for two young and exciting players but Oxford will see this as another success of their model as they look to emulate the club they sold to.” Not that many in the game arent already likely to know this, but getting this kind of exposure on the Athletic hopefully raises our profile even more. He is correct that Brentford are a club we should try to emulate imo.

I also hadn’t realised how close Baptiste came to being released under Clotet! Would have been absolute madness.

Did you read the piece about the Brentford B team? Scrapped the Cat 2 status and now run a more successful model for half the price.

The Athletic is a subscription based media site.

I see, is that a site that charges you to read somebody else`s thoughts or just rehash`s "media" from elsewhere to make a story to sell?

So for us "non-subscribers" what does it say that we don`t know already?

I see, is that a site that charges you to read somebody else`s thoughts or just rehash`s "media" from elsewhere to make a story to sell?

So for us "non-subscribers" what does it say that we don`t know already?

It’s a collection of quality writers (national and local) who left their respective titles last year to join The Athletic (which is the new UK arm of a large US website of the same name).

Well written and informed pieces and a lot of dedicated content about individual clubs. Unfortunately that it is predominantly Premier League and large Championship clubs but you get occasional content about clubs lower down the pyramid. The chap who wrote this is one of the two presenters of the EFL focused Not The Top 20 podcast and also an OUFC fan - he knows his onions.

If you’re so inclined, you can sign up for a free 30 day trial, read the article and then unsubscribe. Or don’t.

It’s a collection of quality writers (national and local) who left their respective titles last year to join The Athletic (which is the new UK arm of a large US website of the same name).

Well written and informed pieces and a lot of dedicated content about individual clubs. Unfortunately that it is predominantly Premier League and large Championship clubs but you get occasional content about clubs lower down the pyramid. The chap who wrote this is one of the two presenters of the EFL focused Not The Top 20 podcast and also an OUFC fan - he knows his onions.

If you’re so inclined, you can sign up for a free 30 day trial, read the article and then unsubscribe. Or don’t.

It`s you isn`t it? ? ?

If anyone wants 40% off an annual subscription use this link and I get a £25 amazon credit.

Though I found that once i unsubscribed from the free trial, they eventually offered me 1 year with 2/3 off. So £20 instead of £60.

I find the writing very good, as above mainly premier league but also going down a bit lower.

Definitely a better deal for Brentford than Oxford. Those prices are definitely a steal for the club

Definitely a better deal for Brentford than Oxford. Those prices are definitely a steal for the club
Fosu = Zero transfer fee and upfront cost, aside from a signing on fee and wages etc. Sold 6 months later for nearly a million; despite his poor form.

Honestly, Browne or Fosu? Exactly.

Baptiste = 18 months ago, he was on loan in the Conference South and on a 6 month deal. Signed a 6 month extension when KR joined and despite a severe ACL injury, we sold for 3million upfront at the very least. If he reaches his potential then we are looking at closer to 9/10mil with his add ons. He can go all the way to the top. As we all know...

For example, a £20,000,000 sale in 3 years to someone like West Ham means that Oxford will pocket 6mill and a % of any international involvement that stems from that; within the first 5 years - Assuming those are the conditions etc.

Brentford are known for their development, from an ROI perspective. They also understand that a key part of their signings development, happened before them - They average a 20/30% sell on, as standard. Fact.

Bad business? I'm all ears...

I'm confused by those that see this as a bad move.

Lets use that money to offer Browne, Brannagan, Dickie and Taylor new deals.

Last edited:
Fosu = Zero transfer fee and upfront cost, aside from a signing on fee and wages etc. Sold 6 months later for nearly a million; despite his poor form.

Honestly, Browne or Fosu? Exactly.

Baptiste = 18 months ago, he was on loan in the Conference South and on a 6 month deal. Signed a 6 month extension when KR joined and despite a severe ACL injury, we sold for 3million upfront at the very least. If he reaches his potential then we are looking at closer to 9/10mil with his add ons. He can go all the way to the top. As we all know...

For example, a £20,000,000 sale in 3 years to someone like West Ham means that Oxford will pocket 6mill and a % of any international involvement that stems from that; within the first 5 years - Assuming those are the conditions etc.

Brentford are known for their development, from an ROI perspective. They also understand that a key part of their signings development, happened before them - They average a 20/30% sell on, as standard. Fact.

Bad business? I'm all ears...

I'm confused by those that see this as a bad move.

Lets use that money to offer Browne, Brannagan, Dickie and Taylor new deals.

There is international clauses for Baptiste? Pretty sure it’s around just over 2mill fir Baptiste

We signed Fosu for ££££

Kelly and Holland looked much better players last night, so we won't miss Baptiste and Fosu as much as people are worried we will...

There is international clauses for Baptiste? Pretty sure it’s around just over 2mill fir Baptiste
Hopefully the Brentford lawyers failed to notice the fact that Baptiste is already a Grenada international. :) :)

Back
Top Bottom