Forward line

Its not about the numbers coming in it was about the quality KR was announcing we would be signing top players, all business done early, and an ever varying number of players. KR does indeed talk a lot, and does like to overstate things a bit which is all fine. If you took all of what he said on face value you would indeed be disappointed. Personally I always thought it was a bit of reach what he was claiming but what is disappointing is the lack of a decent striking options so close to the season, plus I do question just what our player budget is this year.

Ledson was always going. Rothwell was a disappointment (I understand we are lucky to keep them etc but we are doomed to mediocrity until we become a team that can keep more of its players for a bit longer). Richardino was a good player and a shame we didn't sign (but we may have replacements who offer better value for money). Unless we sign Karacan or a good replacement Doughty might be a miss. Plus maybe we should have kept one of the strikers we let go if we are struggling to find replacements (to be honest after last season I am amazed we kept Obika).

Loan players are a big risk as we have found. Play well and they run the risk of being taken back to their parent club in Jan (often to be re-loaned to another club who stumps up more money). Having some loans are fine as they often add quality beyond what we can afford, but to be reliant on them in key positions is a risk. In the past we have been able to sign some of the loans at the end of the season I do not see this with the players we currently have. Therefore we are doomed to a massive rebuild either in Jan or next year (especially so given that we know our best contracted players leave each year). I wonder just what future are we building other than season by season maintaining our position with a hope we get lucky (which is fine but is not a mark of big investment).

I agree with your assessment of the players we still need, and the fact it is not a disaster. I also understand this is part of the game at this level unless you are one of the bigger clubs with good financial backing. I suppose I am just a bit disappointed that it is beginning to look like while we are an improvement over last year's disaster we really aren't pushing onward. This all comes back to the question of just what Tiger can afford and what are his plans mid to long term.
Two things-we kept Obika because he was contracted for this season, Thomas wasn't. Also, he plays the lone striker role better.

Two things-we kept Obika because he was contracted for this season, Thomas wasn't. Also, he plays the lone striker role better.
I take your point. However even though he was contracted but that doesn't mean we should keep him (see Pekalski). As for the lone striker role I am not entirely convinced Obika will be particularly effective in that role (if he stays fit).

My point about keeping the others is all about tactical flexibility. What happens if this lone striker system does not work out (we have sen many systems fail at this level). If Obika can't hold the ball up and if the midfield can't break through fast enough it may well. Without other options we are very limited and this is a risk.

Its not about the numbers coming in it was about the quality KR was announcing we would be signing top players, all business done early, and an ever varying number of players. KR does indeed talk a lot, and does like to overstate things a bit which is all fine. If you took all of what he said on face value you would indeed be disappointed. Personally I always thought it was a bit of reach what he was claiming but what is disappointing is the lack of a decent striking options so close to the season, plus I do question just what our player budget is this year.

Ledson was always going. Rothwell was a disappointment (I understand we are lucky to keep them etc but we are doomed to mediocrity until we become a team that can keep more of its players for a bit longer). Richardino was a good player and a shame we didn't sign (but we may have replacements who offer better value for money). Unless we sign Karacan or a good replacement Doughty might be a miss. Plus maybe we should have kept one of the strikers we let go if we are struggling to find replacements (to be honest after last season I am amazed we kept Obika).

Loan players are a big risk as we have found. Play well and they run the risk of being taken back to their parent club in Jan (often to be re-loaned to another club who stumps up more money). Having some loans are fine as they often add quality beyond what we can afford, but to be reliant on them in key positions is a risk. In the past we have been able to sign some of the loans at the end of the season I do not see this with the players we currently have. Therefore we are doomed to a massive rebuild either in Jan or next year (especially so given that we know our best contracted players leave each year). I wonder just what future are we building other than season by season maintaining our position with a hope we get lucky (which is fine but is not a mark of big investment).

I agree with your assessment of the players we still need, and the fact it is not a disaster. I also understand this is part of the game at this level unless you are one of the bigger clubs with good financial backing. I suppose I am just a bit disappointed that it is beginning to look like while we are an improvement over last year's disaster we really aren't pushing onward. This all comes back to the question of just what Tiger can afford and what are his plans mid to long term.

For me we have signed some quality I’m delighted with the likes of Garbutt Carruthers Browne sounds promising ok not our players but an improvements on what we had previously

Totally agree on the striking force both Okiba & Mackie are both injuries prone players over the past 3 season who don’t score enough which is a worrying fingers crossed Okiba shows his pre season form into the league campaign this season & with Smith (possibly signing) sounds a promising youngest but it’s unknown whether he’s capable of getting at least 15+ goals this season which is needed, think we needed to go for a proven goalscorer at this league in the likes of (Eoin Doyle, James Vaughan, Adam Armstrong) specially as it was a disaster in that department from our main 4 Centre Forwards only get 19 goals in the league between them

As for keeping any of our strikers on the books previously none were good enough & that includes Hemmings he couldn’t play with Thomas as a partnership when I watched them play together when they both here he also played the lone striker behind Maguire & never looked comfortable 6 league goals in 30+ appearance lacked any pace & looked slow of the mark, I think Obika would of been released if his contract was up during this summer but had another 2 years to go so kept one of the 4/5

Long term with Tiger is anyone’s guess but I think he does need serious investment from other parties (like Sunderland are doing) for us to move this club forward (in terms of getting to the championship & buying this current run down ground) otherwise we are no different now to what it was under Eales since getting into League 1

Forward line just got better. Sam Smith on season-long loan.

Back
Top Bottom