Football league play-offs 2019

MarkG

Interesting that in both the Championship and League 2, it is the teams that finished in the lowest league position of the play-offs that are in the final, with Villa playing Derby, and the "John Aldridge derby" play-off in League 2, with two of his old teams: Newport playing Tranmere.

Not sure who I want to go up from L2, neither is a particularly good day out.

I read the other day (on BBC I think) that no team who plays in red and white stripes as their default home kit has ever won a playoff final, and that's in 13 attempts.

I read the other day (on BBC I think) that no team who plays in red and white stripes as their default home kit has ever won a playoff final, and that's in 13 attempts.
No team who lost the first leg at home had ever made the Championship final either until Derby did, so.....

Interesting that in both the Championship and League 2, it is the teams that finished in the lowest league position of the play-offs that are in the final, with Villa playing Derby, and the "John Aldridge derby" play-off in League 2, with two of his old teams: Newport playing Tranmere.

Not sure who I want to go up from L2, neither is a particularly good day out.

Ay? Liverpool is a cracking night away. Come on Tranmere!!

Terrible final so far. Neither team look capable of anything more than mid table on this showing.

Terrible final so far. Neither team look capable of anything more than mid table on this showing.

Twas a cracking save by the Tranmere keeper from Matt at the backpost mind. Personally hope Newport win but I expect Tranmere to win.

I really hope I'm not jinxing anything, but it's shaping up to be a decent set of teams to play against next season.

Luton and Barnsley are replaced by Ipswich and Bolton (-12/20 points), while one of Charlton or Sunderland switch with Rotherham.

Plymouth, Southend, Scunthorpe and Bradford should have been expecting to stay in this league. They're all strong teams in League Two next season.

Bury are a basket case. Lincoln and MK Dons are good prospects for comfortable safety, but I wouldn't think they'd be going near the play offs.

Whoever wins this match would be in the bottom 2 next season, based on this match. Even if Tranmere win, they're losing their best player in the summer.

I really hope I'm not jinxing anything, but it's shaping up to be a decent set of teams to play against next season.

Luton and Barnsley are replaced by Ipswich and Bolton (-12/20 points), while one of Charlton or Sunderland switch with Rotherham.

Plymouth, Southend, Scunthorpe and Bradford should have been expecting to stay in this league. They're all strong teams in League Two next season.

Bury are a basket case. Lincoln and MK Dons are good prospects for comfortable safety, but I wouldn't think they'd be going near the play offs.

Whoever wins this match would be in the bottom 2 next season, based on this match. Even if Tranmere win, they're losing their best player in the summer.

Tranmere will have sufficient resources to strengthen though. Newport less so. Lincoln will do well I think if they keep the Cowley brothers and I think momentum and Tisdale's skills will make them a threat.

Also, Wycombe have cut their budget and I suspect Accrington may struggle with 2nd season syndrome.

Game over I reckon with Newport down to 10, Tranmere to win.

O'Brien sent off for Newport ...89th min 2nd yellow

0-0 FT

extra time now

I’d rather Tranmere, who are more likely to bring some away fans over Newport.

On a Separate note, Tranmere's CB Monthe is unit, but in a good way over the unit that is McNulty!

I’d rather Tranmere, who are more likely to bring some away fans over Newport.

On a Separate note, Tranmere's CB Monthe is unit, but in a good way over the unit that is McNulty!

I reckon Newport would bring plenty for a league game, as many as Tranmere on a comparable day.

I reckon Newport would bring plenty for a league game, as many as Tranmere on a comparable day.

they usually do ...relatively easy journey M4, A34

At Wembley its still 0-0 going into the 2nd 15 mins of extra time

1minute left in injury time. Connor Jennings 1-0 to the Trannies

Neither of them look anything much on that showing, but I guess Tranmere will be trying to strengthen over the summer...

Poor game over all, the one piece of quality created the goal. Having said that I think Tranmere will do well in league 1 if they can keep hold of Norwood. I thought Flynn’s tactics were poor, relying on a long throw into the box for Matt to get on the end of, despite Tranmere having a couple of huge centrebacks. His substitutions didn’t help either. Apparently he’s highly rated and will move on the better things, despite seeming to me like a good honest lower league manager.

Nothing to worry about there. McNulty what a fat fooker. Him marking Akinfenwa next season would be a laugh.

Back
Top Bottom