League One Football addiction

OUFCwaffle

How many posters on here would consider themselves to be addicted to football? Just out of curiousity.

I can't remember the last time I went a day without thinking about OUFC. Does that make me obsessed or addicted?

I definitely think there was a period of my life where I was addicted to football before discovering the joys of alcohol, women and other vices. When I was a teenager I would be at a game somewhere every Saturday and Tuesday.

I will admit Oxford losses used to totally ruin my weekend when I was a teenager, when you can just go out to the pub with your mates or on a date somewhere with your missus it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

I used to also love watching Premier League football on TV. Most of my mates support a PL team (Im not from Oxford) and I just generally liked watching football at that level. My interest had wandered away from the PL a bit and then VAR came in and has killed it nearly stone dead. Watching it just makes me angry now, goals disallowed for toenails offside, players literally screaming when they get clipped in a tackle, boring robotic football.

I'd miss football massively now even if I'm not "addicted" to it in the same way I once was. I think I've always been as addicted to the culture around football (beers, clothes, being around your mates, away days etc) than I have to watching the game itself. I'd certainly feel lost on a Saturday without it.

I love football because it brings people together. I knew of a lad who was suicidal but the saturdays going to football with the lads kept him going and now he's in a better place. It will always be the beautiful game, even if money and technology try to corrupt it.

I definitely think there was a period of my life where I was addicted to football before discovering the joys of alcohol, women and other vices. When I was a teenager I would be at a game somewhere every Saturday and Tuesday.

I will admit Oxford losses used to totally ruin my weekend when I was a teenager, when you can just go out to the pub with your mates or on a date somewhere with your missus it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

I used to also love watching Premier League football on TV. Most of my mates support a PL team (Im not from Oxford) and I just generally liked watching football at that level. My interest had wandered away from the PL a bit and then VAR came in and has killed it nearly stone dead. Watching it just makes me angry now, goals disallowed for toenails offside, players literally screaming when they get clipped in a tackle, boring robotic football.

I'd miss football massively now even if I'm not "addicted" to it in the same way I once was. I think I've always been as addicted to the culture around football (beers, clothes, being around your mates, away days etc) than I have to watching the game itself. I'd certainly feel lost on a Saturday without it.

I love football because it brings people together. I knew of a lad who was suicidal but the saturdays going to football with the lads kept him going and now he's in a better place. It will always be the beautiful game, even if money and technology try to corrupt it.
Good post, I’m the same on all counts. I presume ‘now he’s in a better place’ is meant positively! Could have two meanings. 😞

Good post, I’m the same on all counts. I presume ‘now he’s in a better place’ is meant positively! Could have two meanings. 😞
He's all good now, will be back going home and away when supporters are allowed back.

Think it's worth remembering that for some people football really is everything at low times in their life though. It has a sense of community that is desperately lacking in the modern world. I might make more of an effort to chat to people around me who always attend games on their own next season.

There’s a term ‘flow’ which refers to a state of being utterly absorbed in what you are doing - meant to be good for your mental health. Well football can certainly give you that. I’ve definitely got more into the ins and outs of the team during lockdown, not sure if that will fade a little if things get a bit more back to normal plus we get more predictable in our results.

There’s a term ‘flow’ which refers to a state of being utterly absorbed in what you are doing - meant to be good for your mental health. Well football can certainly give you that. I’ve definitely got more into the ins and outs of the team during lockdown, not sure if that will fade a little if things get a bit more back to normal plus we get more predictable in our results.
When have Oxford United results ever been predictable!

I think I’m addicted to Oxford utd and the England games that at my age is passion, not bothered about other clubs.

We’ve been particularly exciting but inconsistent under MA and KR, I think. I recall some quite dull times under Wilder. However I don’t know if the results were actually more predictable.
Lots of OUFC fans forget how crap the footy was for large periods under Wilder

I`m not overly bothered about "other" football not involving us.
I pay it cursory attention if the result may impact us in some way.
When it comes to us that is different. The whole social aspect, meeting people with a common purpose irrespective of anything else is what it is about.
I`ve made lifelong friends through football and possibly hundreds of people who I would acknowledge in a crowd.

I think I’m addicted to Oxford utd and the England games that at my age is passion, not bothered about other clubs.
I used to be addicted to both but now just Oxford. Odd really but patriotic as I am in general I just can’t enthuse over England games any more. I will now only watch tournaments and never a friendly in a million years. I think the obscene amount of money involved in the Prem, the ridiculous amount of caps give out like sweets, the sheer number of games shown per week and the behaviour of some prem players has blunted that side of football for me anyway.
But for all things Oxford I’m as keen as ever!

I used to be addicted to both but now just Oxford. Odd really but patriotic as I am in general I just can’t enthuse over England games any more. I will now only watch tournaments and never a friendly in a million years. I think the obscene amount of money involved in the Prem, the ridiculous amount of caps give out like sweets, the sheer number of games shown per week and the behaviour of some prem players has blunted that side of football for me anyway.
I understand what you’re saying and first and foremost it’s OUFC regarding the England games at least that’s my country and yes mainly competition but as regard the spoilt brats in the Orem no way

I used to watch any football on the tele but now I find myself thinking I can’t be bothered if oufc was on the tele different story but then if we was allowed in grounds I would be watching in the stadium as for England i watch the tournaments and qualifying games but not fussed about the friendly games but anything oufc completely different story

It’s funny, I’m not patriotic or even totally English but I do support the England football team. Watching less of the top division does mean I don’t know much about some of the younger players, which makes it less interesting, plus our record of flattering to deceive makes KR look like Kenny Dalglish.

I would say I'm addicted to Football. I watch all of our games and alot of the Premier league, champions league etc because I just don't find much else on TV worth watching. Series go on too long, films need to catch me in the first 5 mins to keep me watching, soaps forget it.

1998 and the Team England rubbish killed it for me. Euro 96 was awesome though especially going to all the group games.

I've probably watched *more* 'other' football over the various lockdowns than I would normally. Probably because unlike much of the rest of the stuff on the telly it isn't a repeat! Much of the Prem stuff is quite dull, but some is entertaining. Leeds today for example were a breath of fresh air and the Man City penalty attempt was the funniest thing I have seen for a while!

I suspect once we get back to going to proper football and my other interests (which mostly seem to involve live music and pubs!) can resume as well, my addiction will wane again.

I've probably watched *more* 'other' football over the various lockdowns than I would normally. Probably because unlike much of the rest of the stuff on the telly it isn't a repeat! Much of the Prem stuff is quite dull, but some is entertaining. Leeds today for example were a breath of fresh air and the Man City penalty attempt was the funniest thing I have seen for a while!

I suspect once we get back to going to proper football and my other interests (which mostly seem to involve live music and pubs!) can resume as well, my addiction will wane again.
Agree, hopefully I’ll find better things to do than argue about full backs andKR! But will still love the matches. And may carry on watching away games online if it’s not a nice day.

There are much worse things than Oxford United to be addicted to, believe me. Generally, a football addiction won't harm you or others. That said, I almost flattened my mother in law when she said "it's only a game" when we got relegated to the conference.

I wouldn’t have said I was ‘addicted’ however here I am on the forum at 6 in the morning as I can’t sleep the day of the big game!!

Back
Top Bottom