Flag gate 2?

Sarge

God like member
some social media outlets claiming matchday stewards didnt open the flag room as planned (for the Ultras) before todays match?

Last edited:
some social media outlets claiming matchday stewards didnt open the flag room as planned (for the Ultras) before todays match?
Whatever happened the stand looking so bare was a shame it looks so much better and adds to the atmosphere when the flags are up. And most fans Iv'e spoken to in the North Stand want the Ultras back behind the goal

My mate thought some/all of them didn't arrive in the ground until half time, not sure if that's right though

Seems very strange and stupid if they weren't allowed to get their flags etc, obviously need to hear the full story though

Probably been sniffing tins of shandy, turned up late and the stewards were probably busy doing their job. Wild guess but probably not far wrong.....

All a bit strange. I have seen games in Germany with Ultras and I can't imagine none of them turning up at a reasonably big home game (very happy to be proved wrong)

I doubt many saw their bed much before 2am - maybe even later; I certainly never did when I was their age!

Probably just couldn't get to the stadium in time to tackle the very time consuming task of mounting the display.

Posted this in the match day thread too...

"As far as I'm aware, someone turned up to do it around 10 ish and was kept waiting until almost 12 oclock. Asked multiple stewards and club staff but noone opened it up. Then was later blamed by the stewards for "not asking the right people" and "not waiting long enough". Just another kick in the teeth for the ultras following hard ticket checks killing the new section after a good first 2 games. Shocking treatment since Mixter has joined, a real football sanitiser so I hear."

All at the game I imagine just not as a group doing their thing after their new section was tarnished before it even had a chance to get going.

When I picked up my Gillingham ticket the office staff were saying how it had been a pain as the Ultras hadn't transferred their season tickets over to 21, despite those sat there wishing to transfer out to make way for them. They'd been using paper tickets which the club weren't too happy about as it meant printing them all up on match days - I assume this is why Ian Mixter insisted on hard ticket checks.

I would have thought it'd be easier next season to have a kind of unreserved seating area where the Ultras are free to go and stand so long as they purchase the ticket for there. Preferably at the back more centrally in the East Stand where they get more people either side joining in. I appreciate what they're trying to do and the atmosphere today was hardly amazing and the club isn't helping themselves by continually butting heads with the Ultras.

When I picked up my Gillingham ticket the office staff were saying how it had been a pain as the Ultras hadn't transferred their season tickets over to 21, despite those sat there wishing to transfer out to make way for them. They'd been using paper tickets which the club weren't too happy about as it meant printing them all up on match days - I assume this is why Ian Mixter insisted on hard ticket checks.

I would have thought it'd be easier next season to have a kind of unreserved seating area where the Ultras are free to go and stand so long as they purchase the ticket for there. Preferably at the back more centrally in the East Stand where they get more people either side joining in. I appreciate what they're trying to do and the atmosphere today was hardly amazing and the club isn't helping themselves by continually butting heads with the Ultras.
They were also told not to transfer over permanently because it's "just a trial period", although the trial was a myth the club made up after they moved to look in control, in reality the Ultras probably got fed up of waiting for years for a solution. Hard ticket checks in an empty area is unnecessary and not required, I reckon it was purely a show of control and power from "above" after they moved. Either way, after 2 good games without checks every game since gradually lowered the attendance in there until enough was enough vs Wigan and they all seemed to leave mid game and took the banner there with them (although the match certainly didn't help!).

Like you say, an unreserved area in the ground seems like the only and most sensible solution. Would also allow people to move over and get involved freely with no hassle, which was the whole point they moved in the first place.

They were also told not to transfer over permanently because it's "just a trial period", although the trial was a myth the club made up after they moved to look in control, in reality the Ultras probably got fed up of waiting for years for a solution. Hard ticket checks in an empty area is unnecessary and not required, I reckon it was purely a show of control and power from "above" after they moved. Either way, after 2 good games without checks every game since gradually lowered the attendance in there until enough was enough vs Wigan and they all seemed to leave mid game and took the banner there with them (although the match certainly didn't help!).

Like you say, an unreserved area in the ground seems like the only and most sensible solution. Would also allow people to move over and get involved freely with no hassle, which was the whole point they moved in the first place.

Thanks for clearing that up, I wondered why it had dwindled so much. Even at Wigan the area was half as full as it had been until that third goal went in.

Have the Ultras approached the club with that solution?

The ultras throwing their toys out the pram again? It all seems a bit petty imo and I actually think if the ultras were a bit more grown up about things the club would be more accommodating. The club have agreed to let you trial a new ultra section in the east stand but yet you still moan.

It seems like if the ultras don't get their own way overtime they sulk.

Thanks for clearing that up, I wondered why it had dwindled so much. Even at Wigan the area was half as full as it had been until that third goal went in.

Have the Ultras approached the club with that solution?
Far as I'm aware they've tried pushing it for many years. Came close a few years ago when the club promised an unreserved singing section on the left side, the word unreserved was even in an official article on the website. Unfortunately they took it down near the season start and sold season tickets in there and same thing happened again.
It does seem rather bonkers there's a group of lads in the teens and 20s trying to create something European and special at our club and they get knocked back again and again. The club need to trust them and let them take advantage of our half empty stadium IMO. Give them an unreserved area and let them grow it over a season or two.

The ultras throwing their toys out the pram again? It all seems a bit petty imo and I actually think if the ultras were a bit more grown up about things the club would be more accommodating. The club have agreed to let you trial a new ultra section in the east stand but yet you still moan.

It seems like if the ultras don't get their own way overtime they sulk.
Very strange opinion to have when the club have been anything but accommodating to them. If they had been there wouldn't be this problem in the first place. They want an unreserved area to sing, wave flags with space for people to go over and join in. Happens naturally on a terrace, but shouldn't be too difficult to do in a half empty stadium. Also, the club saying one thing and actually letting it happen is a whole different story.

Very strange opinion to have when the club have been anything but accommodating to them. If they had been there wouldn't be this problem in the first place. They want an unreserved area to sing, wave flags with space for people to go over and join in. Happens naturally on a terrace, but shouldn't be too difficult to do in a half empty stadium. Also, the club saying one thing and actually letting it happen is a whole different story.

I'm not sure how it would work within the ground safety regulations to have an unreserved section as a part of a wider reserved stand. I would imagine that an unreserved section would need to have a separate entrance so that numbers entering the area can be monitored and controlled. I seem to remember reading that a unreserved section can not be sold to its full capacity.
Someone with better knowledge of the regulations needs to confirm that for sure.
It may be that their are valid issues for the club in accommodating all this, but the one thing they need to do better (like with quite a lot at the moment) is to communicate better about it all (especially if you start trying to do something and then can't deliver for whatever reason).

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but no flags again yesterday.
What is the situation now?

Back
Top Bottom