Fixture List - Why?

Manorlounger

So, the Premiership fixture list is out today, a full week before the EFL list. Yet, the Premiership kicks off a week AFTER the EFL.
Why does the EFL have to play second fiddle to the Premiership again and again?

Always the way.
Just like when the first division fixtures are emboldened or enlarged.
Also like five line reports for L1 teams for a 5-3 win and a full page for Manure against Arsenal in a 0-0
Reporting on Sky continually goes to a boring game with Manure where the post is missed forgetting several goals lower down the leagues

Probably to give maximum time to the broadcasters as much time as possible to fight over which games they're going to televise. Whether we like it or not money rules football and those that put up the money make the rules.

Last edited:
And with the first weekends televised games being Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester United & Chelsea, you do wonder why the other teams bother turning up.............

Don't really see what difference it makes, if people are interested who manure etc will start with they will check

would rather see we have a decent squad in place that gives some hope for the season ahead than be bothered about any upcoming fixture list and which league was released first.

So, the Premiership fixture list is out today, a full week before the EFL list. Yet, the Premiership kicks off a week AFTER the EFL.
Why does the EFL have to play second fiddle to the Premiership again and again?
As somebody else said the first TV fixtures have already been announced. Liverpool v Norwich? Please.
Sky ( and more than half the Country) are only interested in the PL

I suspect it is to allow time for the fixtures to be switched/fine-tuned for those clubs that requested to minimise fixture clashes with big PL neighbours where possible.

I suspect it is to allow time for the fixtures to be switched/fine-tuned for those clubs that requested to minimise fixture clashes with big PL neighbours where possible.
So, the EFL has to dance to the tune of the Premiership.

I understand, they are the big clubs but, it annoys me all the same.
It's demeaning and belittling to all the clubs outside of the Premiership and to the thousands of supporters who keep the EFL clubs afloat.

And, talking of fine tuning, how about some of the more ridiculous journeys that happen on a Tuesday evening? Can we "fine tune" them a little?

used to be the champions always kicked off the league season first... another change from Sky.

So, the EFL has to dance to the tune of the Premiership.

I understand, they are the big clubs but, it annoys me all the same.
It's demeaning and belittling to all the clubs outside of the Premiership and to the thousands of supporters who keep the EFL clubs afloat.

The EFL jumps however high the PL says - and will continue to do so for as long as their clubs' sustainability relies on the meagre handouts from the PL TV deal.

It is demeaning and belittling......and yet how many EFL fans continue to subscribe to Sky year after year, and in doing so fund the Premier League?

Way I see it, the only way EFL fans could ever get their voices heard would be to arrange a nationwide fan boycott of Sky until the insane discrepancy is addressed. Enough people do that, then maybe Sky and then the PL are hit hard enough in the pocket to listen.

Otherwise, we can all complain but we're just barking in the wind...….

The EFL jumps however high the PL says - and will continue to do so for as long as their clubs' sustainability relies on the meagre handouts from the PL TV deal.

It is demeaning and belittling......and yet how many EFL fans continue to subscribe to Sky year after year, and in doing so fund the Premier League?

Way I see it, the only way EFL fans could ever get their voices heard would be to arrange a nationwide fan boycott of Sky until the insane discrepancy is addressed. Enough people do that, then maybe Sky and then the PL are hit hard enough in the pocket to listen.

Otherwise, we can all complain but we're just barking in the wind...….

not me :sneaky:

Am I missing something? Why does it matter that the “EPL” fixtures are announced before the “EFL” ones?

Am I missing something? Why does it matter that the “EPL” fixtures are announced before the “EFL” ones?

It doesn’t really, some lower league fans have gone full conspiracy theory about the premier league (until they get promoted to it) and everything it does is bad.

No point announcing them as "fixtures", they should be "rough guides", because either the TV companies will intervene and switch it by hours or days...................then factor in external agencies like TVP who will also change fixtures for no apparent reason.

It doesn’t really, some lower league fans have gone full conspiracy theory about the premier league (until they get promoted to it) and everything it does is bad.
I don't belong to that category but, I do wonder at the disparity in release dates. No conspiracy theory just puzzles me why the Premiership, which kicks off after the EFL, can manage to get their dates out sooner.
Cannot see any administrative necessity, perhaps it is to allow for the frenzied activity of the media, following the release, to subside enough to then get another story out for the EFL?

I don't mind the Premiership, watch a lot of games on Sky, still find attending an OUFC game more exciting. Do get annoyed sometimes at the patronising attitude of the commentators whenever a non Premiership side is featured and was very annoyed at the constant remarks about certain clubs being far too big to be playing in the lower leagues, particularly during the play offs.

Back
Top Bottom