General First ever match at KasStad

Norwich exile

Never seen these 'highlights' re-aired before since going that day. Little did we know at the time it would be the start of some dire, dire times in our history.

Crystal Palace was indeed the first actual match at the Kas Stad, if my memory serves me right, i believe their was some doubt about it going ahead until late due to a safety certificate or something similar not having been issued. Although i was at the game, cant remember the score, got the programme somewhere., any reminders folks.

Crystal Palace was indeed the first actual match at the Kas Stad, if my memory serves me right, i believe their was some doubt about it going ahead until late due to a safety certificate or something similar not having been issued. Although i was at the game, cant remember the score, got the programme somewhere., any reminders folks.
I think we lost on penalties?

I was backpacking in Italy. Checked internet as I was excited by the new stadium bump would mean a huge 12500 crowd. Think it was 8900 and downhill from there. We couldn’t have got relegated at a worse time. Awful period. I remember crowds dropping regularly below 4000 at one stage. Horrifying in hindsight. It felt so empty.

it makes me respect these exciting times a lot more and dream of going back to our 1990s levels again soon

What a terrible team we had that season. Long forgotten names brought back into cringing focus. Stockley, Hatswell, Thomas. etc. Such a pity re Brooks though.

Oxford United in a different galaxy these days. Wish more supporters accepted that .

I had to look Martin Thomas up.

Having done so I still genuinely can't remember him.

What a terrible team we had that season. Long forgotten names brought back into cringing focus. Stockley, Hatswell, Thomas. etc. Such a pity re Brooks though.

Oxford United in a different galaxy these days. Wish more supporters accepted that .
Mr Wright thought we were decent though. "A lot of pluses".

I had to look Martin Thomas up.

Having done so I still genuinely can't remember him.
Stays in my memory as he got sent off away at Lincoln, in a lively final few minutes, in which Lincoln scored the winner and then there were 3 red cards.
Victim of a embarrassing bit of playacting by the Lincoln keeper at the time - Alan Marriott. Heads together and Marriott threw himself on the floor, rolling over and over.

Wayne Hatswell was also sent off for his part in a 20man brawl.

Crystal Palace was indeed the first actual match at the Kas Stad, if my memory serves me right, i believe their was some doubt about it going ahead until late due to a safety certificate or something similar not having been issued.
There was indeed. I was in a pub in town on the morning of the game and got speaking to a builder who was part of the team working there. He said he was amazed the game was going ahead as there was still loads of work to do.

I was backpacking in Italy. Checked internet as I was excited by the new stadium bump would mean a huge 12500 crowd. Think it was 8900 and downhill from there. We couldn’t have got relegated at a worse time. Awful period. I remember crowds dropping regularly below 4000 at one stage. Horrifying in hindsight. It felt so empty.

it makes me respect these exciting times a lot more and dream of going back to our 1990s levels again soon
Crowds rarely dropped below 4K but they often weren't much over it. The Conference years actually helped to reignite better attendances. Like has been the case with several clubs.

Stays in my memory as he got sent off away at Lincoln, in a lively final few minutes, in which Lincoln scored the winner and then there were 3 red cards.
Victim of a embarrassing bit of playacting by the Lincoln keeper at the time - Alan Marriott. Heads together and Marriott threw himself on the floor, rolling over and over.

Wayne Hatswell was also sent off for his part in a 20man brawl.

I wasn't at the match but that does ring a bell now you mention it.

Jamie Brooks was the only shining light of that season. Was a joy to watch him play and see some of the goals he scored. Such a sad sad story for him.

Jamie Brooks was the only shining light of that season. Was a joy to watch him play and see some of the goals he scored. Such a sad sad story for him.
Very true - so enjoyable to watch him play. Wasn't he rushed into hospital only a day before he was due to go on trial with Arsenal? In many way he was lucky to just have a life to go back to after recovering from GBS, although it obviously cost him his pro career - I work as a doc and have seen people with this uncommon, horrible disease who don't have such a positive outcome afterwards.

I remember him beating 4 men on his debut at home to Swansea (one of our last games at the Manor) before hitting the post, only for Manny O to tap in the rebound. A mate of mine lost out on a nice little windfall after placing a bet for JB as the first scorer!

Back
Top Bottom