Matches First ever game watching Oxford United

Mine was late 81 but can't remember the details. My granddad was testing the water with my parents who didn't really approve of me going to footy. The first game I remember distinctly was also my first night match - 5-0 home to Swindon. Everything about that night was magic. From the sight of the floodlights on the bus ride up to Headington to the Oxford fan invading the pitch with five fingers in the air and the sheer noise and joy. Hooked for life. Been great reading these replies and reliving some memories. Also references to matches from long, long ago. We're lucky to have a place like this for people to share memories all the way from the 40s to now.

A Wednesday night under the floodlights ,not the result I wanted, but somehow I became addicted. (y)

10th March 1971 Football League Division 2 Oxford United 0 Leyton Orient 1

Easter Monday 23/4/62 .... home V Bath City Southern league ...lost 1-3
Beat me by a couple of years as mine was the FA cup game v Preston 1964. 22000 plus in Manor ground . Nearly crushed against wall cuckoo lane end and got lifted onto the pitch iirc. Twelve and an important half years old, wearing a rather dashing duffle coat, bobble hat, new rosette and rattle in hand.

November '83 the first one. 2 fantastic games, I watched the first from the Beech Road Upper terrace, the second from the Osler Road.

Exactly the same. My 3rd and 4th games (after Newcastle and Leeds) with Everton my 5th. My dad worked most Saturdays so didn't see Oxford in the league until Bournemouth in Feb '84. Wasn't a regular for a few more seasons but would get to 10 or so games a season but didn't see Oxford lose until we were in the old first division at home to Birmingham in early '86. 3 years of Oxford victories and still the Milk Cup to come!

In terms of footballing relationships, I feel Oxford catfished me in those early years!!!

Beat me by a couple of years as mine was the FA cup game v Preston 1964. 22000 plus in Manor ground . Nearly crushed against wall cuckoo lane end and got lifted onto the pitch iirc. Twelve and an important half years old, wearing a rather dashing duffle coat, bobble hat, new rosette and rattle in hand.
was at that one ... and the previous FA cup round V Blackburn ( aged 7)... me dad n me were on the temporary 'scaffolding terrace' on the Beech road side, close to the London Road End, for both of those games

24/03/1984 v Plymouth 5-0. Beach Road. There was no going back for that former Liverpool supporting 12 year old after that.

Mine was actually a reserve game against Erith and Belvedere, it was midweek 82 ish and spent most of the time queueing up for cup tickets

Bolton FA Cup January1953, not that I can remember a jot as I was 3 and a bit on my Dad's shoulders, but it obviously struck a chord as I have been a yellow ever since. COYY

Pre-season friendly dressed up as a cup of some sort vs Southampton. Probably '83?

We may have won or lost 3-2.

Oxford 0- 3 posh about 1966 followed up 2 wks later oufc 1- 2 brighton, but at least we scored~ Johny Shuker. 2 home defeats set the bar fairly low for the future

March 08 1969 vs Millwall 1-0 Shuker penalty (I think!) Only match I ever watched from the cuckoo lane - avoided a few millwall matches after that!

My football team at the time got free kids tickets to this game, which was my first. An absolute classic which all will remember, I’m sure.
56fb8309c4d6df7ce48ce58df89aa745.jpg

That Milk Cup Semi Final v Aston Villa, March 86 at The Manor.
Stood on the steps behind the goal.

February 1971 at Cardiff - we'd just moved to Bicester but my Uncle lived in South Wales. We lost. My Dad then took me to an Orient home game. We lost that as well.

Sometime in 1977. I have the programmes somewhere to prove it. The first game I remember is v Charlton around 1980. I think Derek Hayles was playing for them. Won 1-0 and I have a memory of Ian Greaves having just started with us. That was the beginning of the rise.

Sometime in 1977. I have the programmes somewhere to prove it. The first game I remember is v Charlton around 1980. I think Derek Hayles was playing for them. Won 1-0 and I have a memory of Ian Greaves having just started with us. That was the beginning of the rise.
Think that would have been Greaves' first game, weren't Charlton top of the league as well?

Paul Berry scored,as far as i can remember either Hales orWelch missed a sitter for charlton

Back
Top Bottom