Matches First ever game watching Oxford United

24/04/1965. Div4 - home to Darlington we won 1-0. Cyril Beavon scored. Crowd was 12,866.
Cyril told me nobody would step up to take the penalty so he was left alone! Cannot understand why he was so far up the pitch. Anyway, he converted at the Cuckoo Lane end while I turned my back in the London Road! Cyril has " dined out " many a time on that magical moment. It got us promoted.

12th April 1994 1-1 vs. West Brom

Tuesday night in front of a full house at the Manor. Moody scored, Alex Dyer got sent off (along with one of them) for fighting. Bunch of Baggie fans showed up in the Osler Road. Atmosphere was right on the edge between electric and outright hostile.

As an impressionable 15 year old, I was forever hooked......

The game that Billy Hamilton picked up an injury in the warm-up that he never really managed to come back from.

That's right. Mark Jones (the named sub - only one in those days) started the game instead, I think. Not sure if we had anyone else to actually come on as substitute later on. My memories of the match are hazy - just remember a Blackburn player calld Noel Brotherston (?) causing havoc on the wing. We had to leave a bit before the end - there was a loud roar just as we left the ground, supposedly we won a penalty which Bobby McDonald then missed. Anyone know if this is true? - I've never been 100% sure.

Showing my relative youth, but:

22nd August 2009: Oxford 2-1 Stevenage

Goals from Alfie Potter and Adam Murray, consolation from Yemi Odubade. Not a bad season to start attending live games.

• React
Reactions: MJB
That's right. Mark Jones (the named sub - only one in those days) started the game instead, I think. Not sure if we had anyone else to actually come on as substitute later on. My memories of the match are hazy - just remember a Blackburn player calld Noel Brotherston (?) causing havoc on the wing. We had to leave a bit before the end - there was a loud roar just as we left the ground, supposedly we won a penalty which Bobby McDonald then missed. Anyone know if this is true? - I've never been 100% sure.
If it was true then it is something not in my memory - I can't find any reports of the match to confirm or deny it either.

Mine was a 3-3 draw in January 1991 with Notts County. I was in the London Road and remember the banter we were having with their keeper Steve Cherry. I was absolutely hooked from that first game.

We'd moved to Oxford in the summer from Shrewsbury. I think if we'd stayed in Shrewsbury a year longer then I'd have ended up supporting them. Moving to Oxford when I was 14 meant I was at the age where I started doing things on my own, so I quickly got in the habit of going to the Manor. Although from that first moment I was hooked, it was the midweek games against the west midlands side I really loved. We had some brilliant atmospheres against the likes of Wolves, West Brom and Birmingham..

Took me a while to get my brother as hooked, not helped with his first game being a miserable 1-0 defeat at home to Grimsby in 92. It took a 3-2 midweek thriller against Blackpool in 94 for him to get the bug.

Would seem remiss not to give a quick nod to Rageonline, can lose myself on that site looking up fixtures and reminiscing! The obvious games are well obvious (!), but it's the random games that I love looking up, the away games with mates that were so much fun or even just checking what the year was when Georgi Kinkladze destroyed us!

• React
Reactions: MJB
Blimey, I just looked and I did find something...

"Therefore, Jimmy Quinn’s winner against Oxford, and Terry Gennoe’s penalty save from Bobby McDonald, left the board, management and players delighted."

Blimey, I just looked and I did find something...

"Therefore, Jimmy Quinn’s winner against Oxford, and Terry Gennoe’s penalty save from Bobby McDonald, left the board, management and players delighted."

Yes, Terry Gennoe - saved it with his knee. No, not really...
We had some good battles with Blackburn that year, they were unlucky not to go up. Don't forget Fazz was playing for Blackburn then, must have been in late 30s at that stage.

Early 60's, can't remember the exact date (1962 I think). Bath City at home. We lost 2-3.
'62 bank hol mon at the manor v bath city was my first game ...lost 1-3 ....we won away to them on good friday incidently

yeah, I've never been able to find anything either...
I remember it, I think the original game v Blackburn was called off due to the weather, therefore we already knew the winners would be playing at home v Man Utd and it would be Live on the TV. When Billy went off during the warm up I thought then it was a bad sign.....we were so good at home then but it just wasn't our night. Didn't help by attacking the London Road end first half either. Yep Bobby Mac missed a penalty, that was second half at the Cuckoo Lane end. Just one of those nights.

League Cup Vs Oldham 1994. Touched Andy Ritchie's back as he leant beck to take a throw by the Osler Road stand. I think we won 2-1.

v Southport in the mid sixties I thought that was the game that got us promoted. Also I remember the london rd stand was about to be built and it was just the old terracing and mud

18th October 1997.
Oxford United 1-0 Ipswich Town.
Dave Smith the scorer. Sat in the main stand at The Manor for the one and only time. Was Beech Road terrace for rest of the time. Spent the whole game asking my dad whether each bit of play was offside.

18th October 1997.
Oxford United 1-0 Ipswich Town.
Dave Smith the scorer. Sat in the main stand at The Manor for the one and only time. Was Beech Road terrace for rest of the time. Spent the whole game asking my dad whether each bit of play was offside.

Dave Smith? Quite the collector’s item.

Big up to the Beech Road Terrace massive too. Represent. [emoji1307]

82/83 league cup v Huddersfield , lost 0-1 perched on the top of the moat right side london rd.

Back
Top Bottom