Matches First ever game watching Oxford United

Oxford 1-4 Man City. 2nd February 1997. We got absolutely annihilated and I remember watching in awe at Gheorghe Kinkladze. He was special that day. My first ever game and still to this day one of the best individual performances I have ever seen against us.

V Rotherham 1994. My stepdad was an Rotherham fan so we went. Oxford won so decided to support Oxford. 27 years later...

School trip to see Oxford vs QPR which I think was the 14th April game 1998 (1-1) where we had seats in the Osler Road. I'm not sure if I'm getting matches mixed up but I think it was also around the time of FOUL as I'm sure we were all handed a piece of yellow A4/A5 card with something like SOS.

I could have made that final bit up but if I did then I've believed it for the last 20+ years.

Oxford vs Blackpool in 1996. The game that Joey scored THAT goal!
My second game was the last game of the season the same year against Peterborough. The 9 year old me thought it was like that every week…if only I had known back then that I’d be going to watch us lose at places like Barrow, Droylsden and Grays Athletic in years to come!

Oxford v Workington 66?
After the minors.
First away Portsmouth don’t know what year, but Mike trebilcock scored for them

1st away game was Pompey bloody Alan Biley still shudder when I hear that name. Then I think it was Billy Hamilton who’s header hit the underside of the bar dropped onto the line and stuck in the mud. Down here that game is as famous as the 5:5 at the Manor.

Feel very young reading these, cheers lads.

Still without any single game at stadium. As for live TV match, that was 11 October 2014 Cambridge - Oxford 5-1. Absolutely devastating.

I'd have probably supported Cambridge if that was the first game I saw.

12th December 1997 against QPR was my first Oxford game at the age of 9. Its a shame I didn't get to witness the good times at the Manor as from memory we were in a pretty bad place off the field with lots of fundraising to keep the club afloat.
Less than a month before this for me - 15 November 1997 for a 1-1 draw with Bury. I was also 9 years old, Man Utd fan on the way to the game and OUFC on the way back.

Some of these others sound like massive glory supporters. For 13 years my proudest OUFC moment was a moral victory over Chelsea.

Feel very young reading these, cheers lads.

I'd have probably supported Cambridge if that was the first game I saw.

Less than a month before this for me - 15 November 1997 for a 1-1 draw with Bury. I was also 9 years old, Man Utd fan on the way to the game and OUFC on the way back.

Some of these others sound like massive glory supporters. For 13 years my proudest OUFC moment was a moral victory over Chelsea.

That's exactly why you've had it so bloody easy!

I thought I WAS signing up to be a glory supporter back in '83, and it all started so well! And then?!

Now run along you cheeky scamp.

That's exactly why you've had it so bloody easy!

I thought I WAS signing up to be a glory supporter back in '83, and it all started so well! And then?!

Now run along you cheeky scamp.
I thought I was signing up to an upwardly mobile, Championship underdog. Wouldn't be in the Premier League every year but by the time I was 20 I'd have probably seen us get a result at most of the major grounds. 🤣

• React
Reactions: m
I thought I was signing up to an upwardly mobile, Championship underdog. Wouldn't be in the Premier League every year but by the time I was 20 I'd have probably seen us get a result at most of the major grounds. 🤣

Ah, the plot thickens!

It turns out that YOU are the glory hunter while in fact I was just supporting my local Div3/league 1 side in their ramshackle ground!!

Ah, the plot thickens!

It turns out that YOU are the glory hunter while in fact I was just supporting my local Div3/league 1 side in their ramshackle ground!!
I accept that nine year old me may have dared to dream after that hard earned point from Bury.

Really brings home what an idiot I was when we revisit it like this. We were still at the Manor then, but maybe I heard a rumour about some new state of the art ground being built.

I accept that nine year old me may have dared to dream after that hard earned point from Bury.

Really brings home what an idiot I was when we revisit it like this. We were still at the Manor then, but maybe I heard a rumour about some new state of the art ground being built.

with quality leisure facilities surrounding it to help fund the club?

Oxford 1-4 Man City. 2nd February 1997. We got absolutely annihilated and I remember watching in awe at Gheorghe Kinkladze. He was special that day. My first ever game and still to this day one of the best individual performances I have ever seen against us.

That was an amazing performance. Seem to remember he got clapped off by all stands in the ground - a masterclass.

That was an amazing performance. Seem to remember he got clapped off by all stands in the ground - a masterclass.
I really like it when that happens! Last time I remember it was a Man City player, and before that Drew someone from I think Port Vale

• React
Reactions: MJB
Makes me feel very young but would be (i think) Rushden & Diamonds conference era I believe Andy Burgess scored a cracker, always held a place in my heart for that. Anyone remember that game?

Don’t think I had a rattle, but my mum did knit me a old gold jumper with 2 black rings at the neck and 3 at the wrist.
It was massive when it got wet.

I can’t remember who, but I do remember being lifted over the Osler Road wall to sit on a bench with my best friend, we where both 7. What an experience, seeing the Tank at his best.

Back
Top Bottom