Matches First ever game watching Oxford United

Absolutely no idea! I do remember clonking some poor bloke on the back of the head with a massive wooden rattle my grandad (who was the one I used to go to football with) had given me!

Apologies about 50 years later to anyone on here with a football-related cranial dent!
I had a rattle my grandfather made for me as well.
My how times have changed.
I remember sitting on the wall of the Osler Road. Like others, bot knowing which team that I should support.
Plus the smell of smoke from cigarettes as well as Pipes and cigars.
Of course in those days there were no barriers and you could just about walk round the ground.

31 March 1984, Oxford 1 Scunthorpe 0. I think Ian Botham was on the bench for Scunthorpe.

31 March 1984, Oxford 1 Scunthorpe 0. I think Ian Botham was on the bench for Scunthorpe.

My second game was the Leeds milk cup game in '83 and sat 2 seats away from Ian Botham! Maybe he was doing some early scouting!!

My first game at the Manor, was a pre season friendly Headington United v Port Vale, I was about 5 at the time and can’t remember the date

My first game at the Manor, was a pre season friendly Headington United v Port Vale, I was about 5 at the time and can’t remember the date
Do the maths 2021 minus your age plus 5 you’ll get a rough year, need to know 😉🤔🤪 😂.

Oxford 0-0 Swindon. December 1966. Brian Sherratt in goal, the Atkinsons, Colin Harrington, woolly hats, rosettes and rattles. We used to stand at the Cuckoo Lane end but, if memory serves, you could walk right round the ground.

12th December 1997 against QPR was my first Oxford game at the age of 9. Its a shame I didn't get to witness the good times at the Manor as from memory we were in a pretty bad place off the field with lots of fundraising to keep the club afloat.

No idea. I went to the 5-0 win over the inbreds on 7th April 1982 (15 yo) but I'm sure this wasn't my first game. This was in the days when Reading were equal to swindon for rivalry. I definitely saw some games with Ian Greaves as manager. My best guess is Brentford at home (1-1) on 4th April 1981.

December 27th 1993 home to Crystal Palace lost 3-1

Also MY first game as a grown lad, able to go by myself, but...

...as a nipper, Boxing Day 1984, home vs Cardiff City, 4-0 with 2 each from Aldridge and Hamilton.

Didn't understand the genius I was witnessing early doors, not until years later enduring the likes of Anthrobus and Robinson bungling around in the 6-yard box.

17th October 1992 - Oxford 0-0 Barnsley with an attendance at the Manor of 4,422.

Was a trip with my primary school, remember the biggest cheer being when a Barnsley player got booked. Did not get me hooked.

In fact my first three or four live Oxford matches all finished 0-0. Thought I was cursed for the club for quite a while.

Absolutely no idea! I do remember clonking some poor bloke on the back of the head with a massive wooden rattle my grandad (who was the one I used to go to football with) had given me!

Apologies about 50 years later to anyone on here with a football-related cranial dent!
Also can't remember the first game, was sometime in the late 60s... but do remember having a rattle and gold and black rosette!

Also can't remember the first game, was sometime in the late 60s... but do remember having a rattle and gold and black rosette!
Yes, I had a rosette too! I was never a regular attender as a youngster - my OUFC connection is through my grandfather. I've never lived in Oxford or Oxfordshire, but he (being an ex-Headington player) used to to take me whenever we visited for an extended period - so most of my early memories are of games around Christmas time. He was a lovely man and his taking me to football only made visits even more special.

The first one. Went to the second replay as well. Was it December 83 then? Always thought it was 84.
November '83 the first one. 2 fantastic games, I watched the first from the Beech Road Upper terrace, the second from the Osler Road.

Back
Top Bottom