Matches First ever game watching Oxford United

Oxford v Newcastle 26th October 1983

Went with my brother and Dad, and was originally in the Beech Road by the dug outs but it was rammed so another family went on the pitch and walked over to the family enclosure (I think) in the top corner of Osler Road and we followed. Was right next to the Newcastle fans who thought it was amusing to call the kids towards the fence and spit on them!! Got revenge when a squirty tomato sauce bottle was thrown over from the burger stand and we covered a few Geordies from the safety of our side of the fence!!

As for the football, they had Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle and McDermott as a top 4 and were in great form. But we had Briggs and Shotton who never gave them a sniff (until Briggs got sent off!) and Andy Thomas who ran the show from midfield. Neil Whatmore and Andy Thomas scored, but we could have had 3 or 4 more.

Needless to say that I was an Oxford fan from that day and followed it up with seeing us beat Leeds, draw and beat Man Utd and be so close to beating Everton too. The song "Oxford United, Oxford United FC, by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" couldn't have been more accurate to a 10 year old me!

Oxford v Newcastle 26th October 1983

Went with my brother and Dad, and was originally in the Beech Road by the dug outs but it was rammed so another family went on the pitch and walked over to the family enclosure (I think) in the top corner of Osler Road and we followed. Was right next to the Newcastle fans who thought it was amusing to call the kids towards the fence and spit on them!! Got revenge when a squirty tomato sauce bottle was thrown over from the burger stand and we covered a few Geordies from the safety of our side of the fence!!

As for the football, they had Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle and McDermott as a top 4 and were in great form. But we had Briggs and Shotton who never gave them a sniff (until Briggs got sent off!) and Andy Thomas who ran the show from midfield. Neil Whatmore and Andy Thomas scored, but we could have had 3 or 4 more.

Needless to say that I was an Oxford fan from that day and followed it up with seeing us beat Leeds, draw and beat Man Utd and be so close to beating Everton too. The song "Oxford United, Oxford United FC, by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" couldn't have been more accurate to a 10 year old me!

Briggs had Keegan in his pocket all game, until the permed dwarfer finally manipulated referee , Thomas the book, into red carding Rambo late on ( if memory serves)

22/08/81 - away to Reading in the Group Cup (a meaningless pre-season tournament). Lost 2-0.

Briggs had Keegan in his pocket all game, until the permed dwarfer finally manipulated referee , Thomas the book, into red carding Rambo late on ( if memory serves)
If I recall Briggs's perfectly-timed* tackle was worthy of two red cards.

*I'm assuming his target was The Permed One and not the ball.

In sure it was early 70’s Anglo Italian cup and we drew I was only 6 and I was on top toes to rest my chin on the London Road wall. Hooked

Absolutely no idea! I do remember clonking some poor bloke on the back of the head with a massive wooden rattle my grandad (who was the one I used to go to football with) had given me!

Apologies about 50 years later to anyone on here with a football-related cranial dent!

1972 or so against `Boro, 4-0 win, Dad took me and that was that. Sat on the wall at the front of the Beech Road terrace.
Actually managed to watch a game from every stand at the Manor. Including a midweek 0-0 draw against Bolton from the Cuckoo Lane (left side) when it rained.... a lot.
Even broke in with some others after it closed for a Summer evening drunken kickabout and done some Urban Exploring as the kids say these days.
The police observation tower in the Cuckoo Lane had lots of junk in it including a box of Ritz Video (remember them?) sponsored matchday programmes that were still in their cellophane wrappers.
:) :cool:

Me and a few mates broke in after it shut, has been drinking in the white horse and then climbed over at the Cuckoo lane end because we had never been in that stand, had a run around then went down the tunnel and found an old washing machine we were going to take as a memento, carried it up towards the London road stand and then just thought f**k it that’s a lot of work for a crap washing machine and left it where it was.

My first real eason was the 1946-7 one. Since I was only about five or six at the time I don't really remember who we played. It was probably somebody like Banbury Spencer in the Oxfordshire Senior League. My parents were fanatics so I was dragged to every match whether I wanted to or not. I really got fully hooked in the 1953-4 season when we won the Southern League Cup Final. Been stuck with the club ever since. All the way up to the top and all the way back down again. Hopefully on the way back up again.

My first real eason was the 1946-7 one. Since I was only about five or six at the time I don't really remember who we played. It was probably somebody like Banbury Spencer in the Oxfordshire Senior League. My parents were fanatics so I was dragged to every match whether I wanted to or not. I really got fully hooked in the 1953-4 season when we won the Southern League Cup Final. Been stuck with the club ever since. All the way up to the top and all the way back down again. Hopefully on the way back up again.
Christ, that's one hell of a time supporting Headington/ Oxford United! Hats off to you.

QPR home game 1973 Cuckoo Lane think it was a night game, London Road was split down the middle didn’t take long before I was christened to the ways of the LR 😉

24th April 1985. Oxford 1-0 Shrewsbury. The promotion game. I was 10 years old, my step dad took me to my first game. We were in the London road end and I couldn't see a thing. I remember the noise when Langan scored, nothing else really.

Back
Top Bottom