Non-League Farewell Bootham Crescent

Football sustained itself for over 100 years in local community stadia where you go to support "your town" actually in your town, in an old piece of imperfect creaking architecture. Pub, food, drink, walk to the ground.

I'm not sure what will attract new fans to live lower league football in 40/50 years, when the classic grounds are gone. Most people don't want to drive or get the bus to a cold, characterless industrial estate in the middle of nowhere to watch football. To be honest, it's boring. The Kassam is boring. And as an away fan my enthusiasm for a trip to York has just disappeared.

Depressing times.

Football sustained itself for over 100 years in local community stadia where you go to support "your town" actually in your town, in an old piece of imperfect creaking architecture. Pub, food, drink, walk to the ground.

I'm not sure what will attract new fans to live lower league football in 40/50 years, when the classic grounds are gone. Most people don't want to drive or get the bus to a cold, characterless industrial estate in the middle of nowhere to watch football. To be honest, it's boring. The Kassam is boring. And as an away fan my enthusiasm for a trip to York has just disappeared.

Depressing times.
Most football clubs you can still do the pub, food, drink and walk to the ground if you arrive at midday. Though the more out-of-town / not in town centre clubs like Ricoh arena, Bolton Wanderers, Walsall, OUFC (of course) mean you probably have to plan a bit more carefully where to go before and/or arrange buses and taxis.

That was the game. Plod took us through all the back streets and alleys to the ground. We came on the second train and were met with a trail of destruction! At some point a whole wall had been pushed over into the neighbouring street.
Once in the ground we were shown into the side stand, unhappy with this a surge went forward, the wooden fence collapsed and we all ran across the pitch to the away end. I think the locals were a bit overawed by the numbers who had travelled!
I do remember the train stopping countless times on the way up as one joker after another pulled the emergency stop cord. Poor old plod on board had all been brought in at the last minute and were not impressed.
As for it being my first away game, I was impressed!
I think I was on the first train. Vaguely remember Nick Harris trying to sell the Oxford Journal where he had just become a reporter from his seat on the train. It was mayhem on the train and in York. Certainly was a good day out.

I think I was on the first train. Vaguely remember Nick Harris trying to sell the Oxford Journal where he had just become a reporter from his seat on the train. It was mayhem on the train and in York. Certainly was a good day out.
Quaint cross-country train ride from that great seat of learning to historical capital of the North of England. I can really picture selling this to the tourists.

Depressing times.
Do we have many young lads (16-25) who follow us on away trips in groups these days?. We certainly did in the conference era, hopefully new Ox lads still coming through to keep it going

I think only supporters, and their memories, being in a stadium over time give a stadium soul.
I think location is so important to a stadium having soul, though. Bootham Crescent, St James Park (both of them, to be fair), the Valley - you're bang in the middle of the local environment, and could only be in York, or Exeter (/ Newcastle), or Charlton. A bowl in the middle of nowhere can be perfectly nice (Doncaster was very pleasant last January, staff were friendly and helpful, it was well organised, bar on-site etc) but it really could be anywhere. It makes the event of a match very regimented and cold I feel.

It's the same as watching a match on telly with no fans as opposed to watching one with fans, in a way - it probably shouldn't make a difference, at the end of the day it's still just watching 22 men kick a ball around, but it really, really does.

Do we have many young lads (16-25) who follow us on away trips in groups these days?. We certainly did in the conference era, hopefully new Ox lads still coming through to keep it going
Obviously varied, but about 20% of those travelling on LRTC coaches to away games fall into that age group. Another 10% would be U16.

Spent 3 very happy years at York uni and watched city many times - lovely city although now almost unrecognisable from my days although my favourite pub the bluebell is still there and there were plenty to choose from!

Have to admit, from a Barnsley fan, I always enjoyed the Manor Ground. Five times I visited. Not had the pleasure of your new abode, but I daresay I'm in the majority of old school fans when i say it's not a patch on the old venue?

Have to admit, from a Barnsley fan, I always enjoyed the Manor Ground. Five times I visited. Not had the pleasure of your new abode, but I daresay I'm in the majority of old school fans when i say it's not a patch on the old venue?
In terms of atmosphere, no, it's a soulless concrete carbuncle with only three sides and open corners. "Wind tunnel" is a well deserved description. The club doesn't own the ground and so suffers at the mercy of the owner, one Firoz Kassam. At some point in the near future it is hoped and, to some extent, expected that we will move to a purpose built stadium but, present times are working against any immediate progress.

The Manor was and despite being long gone, is, still the home of OUFC. Warts and all, it was a proper football ground. Wouldn't pass a single health & safety inspection in current times but, real atmosphere.

Spent 3 very happy years at York uni and watched city many times - lovely city although now almost unrecognisable from my days although my favourite pub the bluebell is still there and there were plenty to choose from!
The first time we came across the Bluebell, there was a sign on the door pointing out it was closed because of a ‘private party’. Bloke sat outside said ‘are you looking for somewhere to have a pint?’; pointed out the sign on the door, he said ‘it’s just to keep stag parties and rowdy gangs out’. We always call in for a beer if we are in York; given the lack of space, I have no idea how it fares currently.

The first time we came across the Bluebell, there was a sign on the door pointing out it was closed because of a ‘private party’. Bloke sat outside said ‘are you looking for somewhere to have a pint?’; pointed out the sign on the door, he said ‘it’s just to keep stag parties and rowdy gangs out’. We always call in for a beer if we are in York; given the lack of space, I have no idea how it fares currently.
He gave it a go at different times

Depressing times.

So I agree with you 100%. Old city centre grounds with character are where it's at. Pub, food, drink, walk to the ground is the blueprint of a great away day. And it really doesn't matter how rubbish the facilities at the ground are - you're there to watch the game and have a bit of a sing.

But I'm afraid that I think the data suggests we're in a minority.

Our average crowd in 1995/96 at the Manor, when DNEMSO's wildly entertaining team was getting promoted from the 3rd Tier - 5709.
I believe our crowds at the Kassam have been higher than that every single football league season we've played there, with the sole exception of the year we dropped into the Conference.

Sadly, a lot of modern day fans do seem to want to drive to a cold, characterless stadium with good access, ample parking and reasonable facilities. Because they want an experience that's easy and comfortable. Even if (for us) it's comparatively boring.

p.s. The Bluebell is amazing. Definitely on my all-time Top Ten drinking establishments worldwide.

Back
Top Bottom